Profile for StephenSEUK > Reviews

Content by StephenSEUK

StephenSEUK (West Sussex, UK)

Pure Contour 200i Wireless Digital Music System with AirPlay and Docking Station Speaker for iPad 1 2 3 / Iphone 1 2 3 3gs 4 4s / Ipod Touch Classic Nano

4.0 out of 5 stars Works for me..., 13 May 2012
On the whole I am pleased with the Pure Contour 200i Air speaker.
As some of the other reviewers have mentioned the sound output is heavy on the base, however for my needs (speaker in the kitchen) it's adequate and compliments my AppleTV hooked up to the entertainment system in the living room.
It should be noted that multi-play on more than one Airplay speaker can only be sourced from iTunes on your PC/MAC, iOS does not support Airplay multi-speakers, however by using the Remote app on your device and remotely accessing the PC/MAC iTunes library multi-speaker output can be achieved via your Apple device.
I have an iPhone 4S iOS5.1.1 and the Airplay wireless connection to my BT Homehub 3 is flawless, very stable with no drops outs. The wireless set up is straightforward with clear instructions in the accompanying Owners Manual. The speaker and wireless connection is always `On' and easily available from the list of speakers on iTunes or the device within the Airplay "button". During set up the name of the speaker can be changed for ease of id.
The supplied remote has a number of useful features and works well, handy for volume control amongst other functions; the battery (CR2025) is easily accessible in the event of change.
The speaker itself has weight and feels substantial. It has a rubber footing on the base that suppresses any vibration.
I have a silicone skin cover on my iPhone 4S and I do not have remove this when docking into the speaker, which by the way has a very positive connection and when docked my iPhone charges up.
It is approx 36cm/14" in width and 23cm/9" high. The button on top LHS switches between Standby and Sleep and On, however the speaker status will auto wake up when it recognises Airplay from the device/PC/MAC. On the RHS on top you'll find three buttons: Mute, Volume Down and Volume Up.
On the front of the speaker, to the left of the docking point you'll find the unobtrusive status LED which can be seen through the speaker mesh, it's multi-functional with 7 different colours and light activity depending on status; these are defined in the Owners Manual.
Its mains powered only.
As I say suits my needs with good features and no connection issues, if I had more control of the bass output I would give it 5 stars, hence a 4 star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Set of Weights!..., 7 Aug. 2011
I am very pleased with this set of weights. Good quality and build.
The barbell is a standard size (1inch) and 6ft in length; with collars attached weighs 7.5 Kg.
There are two dumbbells, these again are a standard size (1inch) and 14 inches in length; with collars attached each weighs 1.9Kg.
Good knurled hand grip areas, but recommend mitts for maximum comfort.
The range of weight plates offered was the main reason why I opted for this set, 1.25Kg x 4; 2.5Kg x 6, 5Kg x 4, this complimented my existing weights.
Rubber washers sit snug against the flanges on the barbell and dumbbells which helps with very good lockage with the weights between the rubber washer and locking collar tightened up.
Really pleased with the weight plates as with the set I received they are the standard size EZ (tri) Grip type, which makes handling a breeze, although the supporting image did not reflect this type of plate.
Pays to shop around for best price, I picked mine up for sixty nine pounds and ninety nine pence.
Highly recommended product/set if the range of weight plates suits your needs.

OCTOVO Solis LED Reading Light for most 6" e-Reader eBook (Fits Amazon Kindle, Kindle Touch, New Kindle, Kindle Keyboard, Nook Touch, Kobo, Sony eReader)

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended But Pricey, 10 July 2011
I am delighted with the purchase of this LED light for my Kindle (3rd Gen). I researched the reviews on what was available and narrowed it down to the Mighty Bright MiniFlex lamp, the M-edge e-Luminator and this the Octovo Solis e-reader for Kindle. After reading the numerous reviews on the UK & USA Amazon sites the Octovo, on the whole, seemed to have the best reviews. At least five pounds dearer than the other two, which makes it a tad pricey, however the build quality and design are first class (I paid nineteen pounds and ninety nine pence - July 2011).
I have an M-edge Latitude Kindle Jacket and with this fitted on my Kindle the Octovo fits the Kindle as it should (I prefer the left top edge of the Kindle above the back page side switch for a more central light shine position and for disturbance light control to others around me, if to your left).
With the Kindle in the M-edge jacket the Octovo light does not seem to present a noticeable weight distribution problem when reading.
The Octovo main body dimensions are h-22mm; w-16mm; l-75mm and the flange underneath, that sits snugly on the edge of the Kindle, is 20mm deep and 26mm wide.
The light emitted is brighter than what I was expecting, it illuminates the reading area very well. I use a rechargeable Energizer AA 2500mAh NiMH battery (this has lasted around 3 weeks with around an hours use on a daily basis); it does come packaged with an alkaline battery.
The packaging was excellent and efficient and due to its size the postman was able to slip this through the letter box; the delivery service from Amazon was yet again first class.
An added bonus is that this Octovo light fits into the M-edge jacket outside zipped pocket for safe keeping.
All in all, a tad pricey, but a well designed product and in my opinion would recommend.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2011 10:44 AM BST

Logitech Logitech Wireless Mouse M205 Black - 910-001073
Logitech Logitech Wireless Mouse M205 Black - 910-001073

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Wireless Mouse..., 10 April 2010
What a great wireless optical mouse, and at £10.95 via Amazon, you just cannot go wrong!

An absolute breeze to set up; insert the supplied AA battery into the mouse by pressing the button underneath to release the battery cover, then plug in the mini-receiver into the PC (XP in my case) USB port and it's ready for use!

The mouse is of a nice size and comfortable in the hand. No apparent problems with tracking, in fact it's very responsive. I've downloaded the free software from [...] and this allows a variety of functions to be set up, including change of function of the middle button (I've set up the middle button so that when clicked invokes a zoom function which is really useful), response speed can be adjusted, & the software also monitors the battery strength and can provide a low battery alert on the PC.

The dongle clips into the base of the mouse when not in use and in the process of clipping in or out switches the mouse off or on, respectively. Underneath in the recess where the dongle is stored are three buttons, the battery compartment lid release, a connect button, and the on/off switch. There's also a led on top which is green when first switch on and will flash red when the battery is low.

All in all, for the price, a cracking product from Logitech.

York Fitness Standard Cast Iron Discs - 2 x 10 kg
York Fitness Standard Cast Iron Discs - 2 x 10 kg

4.0 out of 5 stars Does The Job..., 9 Nov. 2009
Ok so there's not much to expect from a standard 10kg weight plate, it's round and heavy and has a one inch hole in the middle. It certainly does the job. However I ordered two lots of York-10Kg-weights-x2 and both sets (4 plates) have an appalling finish: rough surface moulding, chipped black paint, one has started to show signs of surface rust, they look like seconds. I expect much better.
I already have a selection of Golds Gym weights and these are perfect, so there is no excuse from York. I really cannot be bothered with the hassle to return any of these to Amazon, so one day I spruce them up with fresh lick of metal paint.
At £[] on Amazon, for a pair, the best price I could find, but buy at your own risk!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2011 12:33 PM BST

Marcy Diamond Elite MD-440 Weight Bench with Preacher Pad & Leg Developer - Adjustable Flat, Incline, Decline & Shoulder Press Angles

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Exercise Bench..., 3 Oct. 2009
I am very pleased with this product. It's a solid, sturdy and well built exercise bench.
The assembly takes about 1 hour - the supporting assembly booklet is easy to follow and straightforward. The smaller parts (nuts and bolts, etc), including needed Allen keys, come in a blister pack and each piece is clearly numbered for ease of id.
The leg-extension and leg-curl attachment works well; I'm six foot and the knee position is good, nicely positioned at the point of pivot. The weight point fits standard (1inch) weight plates, or when fitted with the Olympic sleeve, the larger Olympic size weights can be used instead.
The leg-extension/curl attachment has a locking pin so that Abs work can be performed.
The preacher arm curl pad attachment is of a good size and well padded, when needed it slides into the main support post where the leg-extension/curl attachment attaches, with a pull pin for locking to the desired height. It has three set heights but I tend to use the preacher with it resting on the locking pin to give maximum height that allows adequate arm length when using free weights. So in essence you have four height settings for the preacher pad. On this point, the only downside of this bench is that with the curl bar attached, due to the angular movement of the leg-attachment/arm curl combo I find it uncomfortable to carry out good form arm curls, however the arm curl bar easily clips off and I tend to favour the use of free weights on the preacher pad attachment.
The main bench rest can be set to four positions, decline, flat, incline, and upright. The seat and back rest is plastic covered with good padded support.
Maximum width is 71cm (curved base support).
Seat height is 53cm.
Maximum length is 180cm (from leg extension attachment to end of bench laid flat).
The foam rollers are of a good size and are comfortable.
At one hundred and fifty nine pounds, quality comes at a price.
I highly recommend this Marcy MD-440 exercise bench, if its functions suit your particular needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Set of Weights!..., 3 Oct. 2009
I am very pleased with this set of weights. Good quality and build.
Good knurled hand grip areas, but recommend mitts for maximum comfort.
Highly recommended product/set if the range of weight plates suits your needs.

Velo Ladies Elastomer Sprung Comfort Saddle
Velo Ladies Elastomer Sprung Comfort Saddle
Offered by Y Frame Discounts Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfy and well built saddle..., 3 Oct. 2009
I was looking for a replacement, comfy, saddle for my exercise bike, this caught my eye. Seemed not too expensive and to have a good level of comfort by the description of the build.
Yep, good saddle for what I need. Nice size and good support and build.
This comes with a clamp type seat bracket that fits most standard type seat posts; the clamp bracket can be removed which would then allow this saddle to fit onto a rail type seat post.
I am pleased with the product, recommended if this is the type of saddle that meets your requirements.

Bosch Rotak 320 Electric Rotary Lawn Mower
Bosch Rotak 320 Electric Rotary Lawn Mower

4.0 out of 5 stars Does The Job..., 26 Sept. 2009
My Orange Hover Mower finally gave up the ghost after about 9 years use. I had in mind to purchase another but the sound reviews on this Bosch Rotak caught my eye...
This is a delight to use and surprisingly easier to cut grass than my old Orange Hover Mower - I would not go back.
Couple of things to point out: the handle does not fold in half for storage, and the staggering thing is that there is no sweeping up needed after the cut, it all gets collected in the plastic grass box, that simply clips on or off; with my old hover mower I was so use to two-thirds of the cutting going into the grass-box and the last third being spread in a 3 metre zone around the point of cut - a time saving indeed!
Much is said already in the other useful reviews.
Highly recommended.

1,182 of 1,260 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, 8 July 2008
I was looking for a replacement beard trimmer that had a short trim length of around 1.5mm, a decent price, and backed up by good reviews; the Remington MB320C caught my eye and seemed to satisfy these requirements. I found the two supporting reviews on Amazon informative and was the deciding factor on the purchase, compared to other reviews I'd seen on alternative makes/models.
Amazon.co.uk offered a decent price, provided the expected excellent delivery service and sound packaging, so well done Amazon.
First impressions of the beard trimmer were a solid, well built, tactile, comfortable and well balanced in the hand; a very well designed product.
The Trimmer Comb Attachment is adjusted by the well placed thumb wheel; it has a good positive engagement when setting. The Trimmer Comb moves up and down to achieve the desired length and completely covers the razor, it's easily removed by pulling off, but again this has a positive action and firm positioning.
Your first job will be to charge up the trimmer for 14-16 hours. The three plug/transformer combo provides the means to re-charge, with a lamp on the trimmer to indicate charging is taking place, however when fully charged the lamp remains lit, so there's no means to indicate full charge - just watch the clock.
The Trimmer Comb is well designed and provides a fairly wide platform that sits against your skin to allow for an exceptional even well controlled shave/trim; it's also easy to clean.
There are 9 shave settings/lengths available, set by the thumb wheel and next to that is a number indicator 1 to 9. The settings are as follows 1=1.5mm, 2=2.5mm, 3=4mm, 4=5.5mm, 5=7mm, 6=9mm, 7=11mm, 8=14mm, 9=18mm. Now I only use the short length settings so unable to comment on the longer settings, but I started off with the 1/1.5mm setting which provided a good even cut, but I did find that compared to other trimmers I've used this seemed a tad shorter, so I've now settled for the 2/2.5mm setting that seems to cut to around the 2mm mark. It should also be noted that the Comb and Thumb Wheel holds its place in-between settings so if careful may offer further cut lengths!
There's a low charge warning lamp on the trimmer, and pulling off the comb attachment allows the pop-up trimmer to be activated. The Comb length setting remains when taking off and replacing back the attachment, which is handy.
The real proof is in the handling and shave, and I've found this to be a delight to use. 10/10.
Too early to comment on reliability (had it for only a few weeks), but I suspect based on the build it will stand the test of time.
Highly recommended beard trimmer and good value for the money.

April 2009
Still very pleased with the product, the pop-up trimmer is a bit flimsy but apart from that a cracking product. The price was good at time of purchase at just over twenty one pounds!

January 2013
Four and a half years on from purchase and I can honestly say still good as new compared to when first bought. Used most days of the week over this period and it still cuts well and holds its charge.

July 2015
Same trimmer still going strong after 7 years of use!

September 2016
Well, after 8 years of reliable use the battery does not now hold its charge and so I've bought an exact replacement at a similar price point to the original, may this prove long lived too :-)
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2016 10:08 AM GMT