Profile for P. Roberts > Reviews

Kingfisher 100 ml Fluoride Free Fennel Toothpaste - 3-Pack
Kingfisher 100 ml Fluoride Free Fennel Toothpaste - 3-Pack
Offered by Nutrisun

3.0 out of 5 stars Highly variable taste., 1 Aug. 2015
I used this for a while in 2012-2013. It had a strong, pleasant taste like aniseed balls. Not quite what I wanted last thing before bed, but good for mornings.

Then I got a pack of 3 in 2013 that tasted so horrible I couldn't bear to have it in my mouth. There was no similarity to the previous taste whatsoever (batch 70P).

I tried buying again about 6 months later, and it was usable again, but not as pleasant as before and had an after-taste which I didn't like very much.

In all this time, the packaging and listed ingredients stayed the same.

In summary, if you buy this, you can't be sure what you are getting, and it seems there are serious quality control issues.

If you are looking for fluoride free toothpaste, I've found that Sarakan and SmileGlow Aloe Vera are both pretty good.

The Psychopath Test
The Psychopath Test
by Jon Ronson

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 July 2015
This review is from: The Psychopath Test (Paperback)
A highly entertaining and informative read, as I've come to expect from Jon Ronson.

Lenovo S8-50 Tablet Case - Fintie Ultra Slim SmartShell Lightweight Stand Cover for Lenovo Tab S8-50 8-Inch Tablet Android 4.4, Black
Offered by Fintie EU

3.0 out of 5 stars Well built but not nice to use., 28 July 2015
Lenovo S8-50 Fintie Ultra Slim SmartShell Case.

There are a few things wrong with the design of this case as far as I am concerned.

One of the main reason I wanted a case for my Lenovo S8-50 was that the edges are a little sharp, and not comfortable to hold. The problem is, the edges of this case are uncomfortable too.

The "scratch-free fiber interior" to me has a texture that is to me very unpleasant to hold. I've bought various iPad cases and never had this problem before.

I also wish it was thinner and lighter, given how thin and light the S8-50 is.

That said, the build quality is pretty good, so as far as keeping your tablet protected goes this should do a pretty good job.

Betron JRS40 Pop Up Portable Mini Travel II Capsule Rechargeable 40mm Speaker For Iphone, iPod, Ipad, Tablets and MP3 Players - Black
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

3.0 out of 5 stars Tinny, short cable, not Bluetooth as advertised, 1 Feb. 2015
I was not impressed, though it's reasonable for the price. Sounds tinny, as you would expect from something so small. Extending it only improves the bass a little bit. Connection is via 3.5mm audio jack, on a cable that is only 8cm long. This is very inconvenient if you want to pick up your phone/tablet to change what's playing. Last but not least, it is described on the box as "Wireless Bluetooth Technology", but it is NOT a Bluetooth speaker.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2015 4:38 PM GMT

Tub of 50 RiTEK F1 - TDK DVD-R 4.7GB 16X Inkjet Printable White Top Full Face spindle 50 pack (EAN 4902030323776)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, but with writing in the centre, 19 Jan. 2015
I have burned a lot of DVDs and found TDK to be generally reliable. The same goes for Ritek. The printing surface on these is more glossy than some which makes them appear more like commercial discs.

What I don't like is that there is writing in the centre. This is faint, but still easily noticeable. It says "TDK Life on Record" on the top and "DVD-R EXTRA FINE MATT 1-16x" on the bottom. This means that the final result after printing looks less professional, especially if what you printed is not aligned with the text.

I will look for discs with no branding next time, although it is difficult to tell from the description and reviews.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 19, 2015 9:52 PM BST

VTX3D AMD Radeon 1GB HD 6450 Silent Graphics Card (DDR3, HDMI, DVI-I, PCI-Express 2.1, DirectX 11.0, AMD HD3D Technology)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good hardware, poor software, 11 Dec. 2013
The card works well for the money, but I knocked off one star due to problems with AMD's software of various kinds.

Catalyst Control Centre uses up a lot of memory, and slows down startup on an older machine. I recommend not installing it unless you need it.

I looked on AMD's website for updated drivers, but was directed to drivers for a different chipset (the Radeon R7 & R9).

At first I hadn't mounted the card in the socket properly, and this also revealed the poor design of AMD's installers. AMD Catalyst Install Manager, from the disc, and AMD Driver Downloader, from the website, both did nothing, but didn't give any indication that this was because no compatible card was found.

USB to 2 x PS/2 Converter for Mice & Keyboards, Dual Adapter
USB to 2 x PS/2 Converter for Mice & Keyboards, Dual Adapter
Offered by The LACH Group

1.0 out of 5 stars Backslash key doesn't work, 18 Mar. 2013
I bought 2 of these from 'Computer Products Online Ltd T/A CPO' and both had the same fault, the backslash key didn't work. Backslash is quite an important key as you need it for specifying path names. A search of other listings shows that some being sold by other sellers have the same fault.

I ended up buying the 'Perixx PERIPRO-401' which was £1 more but worked perfectly.

It's surprising because a few years ago I bought several of these devices, made by different manufacturers, and they were all OK. Seems like since then someone must have bought out a new chip for these things that doesn't work properly.

NEWLink USB to PS/2 Keyboard & Mouse Cable
NEWLink USB to PS/2 Keyboard & Mouse Cable
Offered by DP Bazaar

1.0 out of 5 stars didn't work, 26 Feb. 2013
Most of the time mine didn't work at all. Occasionally it worked a bit, e.g. for the mouse but not the keyboard. I advise on spending a little bit more. I've bought other makes before which were fine.

4 x AAA 1100 mAh Rechargeables
4 x AAA 1100 mAh Rechargeables
Offered by Fast Batteries UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't appear to be Samsung, but work fine, 12 Dec. 2012
I doubt these batteries have any strong connection to Samsung.
They are made in China.
The make appears to be "DMI International", but the logo does not belong to any organisation with that name that can be Googled.
The other brands on it (Digimax and Accudigital) cannot be tied down to any particular company.
They work OK though.

Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x Internal SATA DVD Multi Writer Black Bare
Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x Internal SATA DVD Multi Writer Black Bare

2.0 out of 5 stars Noisy, 13 July 2012
Noisier, and cheaper build, than other Optiarcs I have used. Keeps a disc spinning for many minutes after inserting it, and all the time you can hear it. It isn't terrible, but I would look elsewhere.

Page: 1 | 2