Profile for Mr. Julian W. Gibson > Reviews

Content by Mr. Julian W. ...

Mr. Julian W. Gibson "Julian Gibson" (UK)

The Islamist: Why I joined radical Islam in Britain, what I saw inside and why I left
by Ed Husain

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 2 Nov. 2009
A very interesting and well written book.

And if it is factually correct, it's also a valuable insight - and a warning - as to why young muslims turn to radical Islamism.

Well worth reading.

Threads [DVD] [1984]
Threads [DVD] [1984]
Dvd ~ Karen Meagher

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing, 30 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Threads [DVD] [1984] (DVD)
I first saw this film when I was a kid and it was so terrifying it gave me nightmares.

I saw it again as an adult and it freaked me out for days...and gave me nightmares again.

Probably the most powerful, poignant and grimly disturbing film I've ever seen. And it is still relevant today - The Cold War may have ended but the threat of nuclear weapons is stronger than ever. Everyone should see this film & it should be shown in every school.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2010 3:27 PM GMT

The God Delusion
The God Delusion
by Richard Dawkins

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, 3 Feb. 2009
This review is from: The God Delusion (Paperback)
It's clear from many of the one star reviews from hysterical christians, that they have not even bothered to read this book - at least not with an open mind.

As for the people calling Dawkins 'arrogant', 'shrill', 'barking' and 'ranting'. This is patent nonsense. You may disagree with Dawkins, but it is written in a calm, rational and evidence based tone. It is because religious faith has been used to a level of 'respect' that it does not deserve, that it seems so 'arrogant' to many people.

But we would not respect grown adults who believe in fairies and Santa Claus with no evidence - so why should we respect people who believe in a god, when there is no evidence for it's existence? And as Dawkins points out, in all probability, does not exist.

This book is clearly loved by atheists and hated by believers. But I think it is those on the fence - who probably haven't given the subject much thought - would benefit the most from reading this excellent book.

Along with the Atheist Bus Campaign and many other progressive movements in the backlash against religious stupidity, hopefully this century may finally see a dawn of reason and common sense...it's possible...
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2009 4:39 PM GMT

What's Going On?: The Meanderings of a Comic Mind in Confusion
What's Going On?: The Meanderings of a Comic Mind in Confusion
by Mark Steel

4.0 out of 5 stars Steel Delivers again, 6 Aug. 2008
Like the reviewer below, I ploughed through this book in no time. Insightful as always, and never dull. This book lacks the optimism of 'Reasons to be Cheerful', it's a darker book - as you really get the feeling Steel went through a serious crisis in his life. As a result, it's not as funny as his other books, the punchlines are spat out sarcastically. It's also more personal, as he lays his disintegrating relationship to bare.

As it charts the time I became politicized - 9/11 to the illegal and unwanted invasion of Iraq - I personally can really relate to how Mark's feeling.

It's well worth reading for anybody who is asking themselves the same question - What the HELL is going on?!

Demanding the Impossible: A History of Anarchism
Demanding the Impossible: A History of Anarchism
by Peter Marshall

4.0 out of 5 stars Encyclopedia Anarchica, 5 Aug. 2008
There are many books on the subject of anarchist theory and history, this is easily the most comprehensive and extensive. From Taoist monks through the French revolution, to the new left of the 60's and punks of the 70's.

Every era of history and every prominent figure of anarchism is here (even if they didn't describe themselves as anarchist). The subject is so broad ranging, that this book stands as a great history book, as well as a philosophical work. Keeping alive an idea that has never been allowed, but will never go away.

An excellent book for anybody interested in politics; history; philosophy; psychology and human beings in general.

The 11th Hour [DVD]
The 11th Hour [DVD]
Dvd ~ Leonardo diCaprio
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST SEE, 16 Jun. 2008
This review is from: The 11th Hour [DVD] (DVD)
This really is a film that needs to be seen by everybody, and urgently. We're destroying the planet and time is running out.

There has been much in the media about 'global warming' or pollution. But this film is the first I have seen to address all the issues at the deepest level, urging us to question not only the way we live, but the very fabric of our society and our level of consciousness regarding our relationship to the planet we are a part of.

We have to change now if we are to survive this century. This film is a brave attempt to face this. Many will want to bury their head in the ever expanding sand, and pretend this isn't happening. But we do this at our peril.

Watch this film.

The Corporation [DVD]
The Corporation [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Abbott
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars EVERYONE SHOULD SEE THIS, 4 Mar. 2005
This review is from: The Corporation [DVD] (DVD)
The current popularity of political documentaries (Farenheit 9/11, SuperSizeMe ect) shows clearly how dissatisfied and frustrated people are becoming with the political world around them. The Corporation is by far the best of these documentaries, and really should be seen by anybody at all concerned about the future of the human race and the planet.

Over the course of 2.5 hours the film dissects the entire system we live under, from sweatshop labour to environmental destruction and the collusion between corporations, governments and the media. Rather than dealing with one issue (like Supersizeme & McDonalds) The Corporation steps outside the box and shows us the entire framework, and how it needs to change.

The corporate world is destroying the planet for profit, and we are being distracted from this by very clever 'PR'. Don't believe it's that bad? Watch the film and find out for yourself.

The Corporation is frightening yet galvanising, dark, yet optimistic. If you're gonna watch any one of these documentaries, watch this one...It should change the way you see our society.