Profile for L. V. White > Reviews

Content by L. V. White

L. V. White "missnightingale" (UK)

White Oleander
White Oleander

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary journey of a read, 4 Feb. 2016
This review is from: White Oleander (Kindle Edition)
This is 9th or 10th read of this favourite of mine and I never tire or it. It tells the tale of Astrid a young girl and her complex intense relationship with her mother. After her mother Ingrid goes away for some time Astrid has to adjust to a series of foster homes, each experience as life changing as the last. White Oleander is an exquisitely written story, and I loved seeing each event from Astrids eyes. Fitch's incredible use of description and eye for detail makes you feel and see every part of Astrids journey. Read. You won't regret it

The Villa
The Villa

2.0 out of 5 stars gave up halfway through, 29 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Villa (Kindle Edition)
Completely unoriginal, full of silly clichés like a bad Mafia movie, and I couldn't cope with daughter Ginnys bizarre expressions..clattering crocodiles?! I kept waiting for there to be some explanation for this but it just appears that Rosanna Key has never been around an 18 year old! I got bored and gave up

The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read in a while, 24 Sept. 2015
Kept me on the edge of my seat! I couldn't put it down. A fantastically creepy little mystery. Would very much recommend

Thirtynothing
Thirtynothing
by Lisa Jewell

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of her best.., 16 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Thirtynothing (Paperback)
Being a huge fan of the extremley talented Lisa Jewell it took me no time to pick this one up. It starts well enough, some funny jokes here and there and Lisa's usual in depth description of character sparkles the page. The problem with Thirtynothing is firstly its extemley predictable, you know whats going to happen within the the first 5 pages. This isnt normally a problem in books but the majority of Jewells books are full of surprises and you have no idea which direction they will go in so this is already a dampener straight away. The second problem is the female protagonist Nadine, I felt she was one of the most unlikeable characters in any of Jewells books so far and I just couldnt warm to her no matter how hard I tried. Apart from her romantic feelings towards Dig, which all women have gone through, there was nothing relatable about her at all. I just disliked her intensley which makes caring about her or her past very difficult.

The book is brilliantly written as usual, and there are some genuine funny and touching pages but overall this didnt leave me with much and I'd say its my least favourite.

One-hit Wonder
One-hit Wonder
by Lisa Jewell

5.0 out of 5 stars You will not be able to put this down!, 19 Dec. 2012
This review is from: One-hit Wonder (Paperback)
Having read most of the fantastic Lisa Jewell's books, I picked this one up easily. I love the effortless writing of Lisa and how she describes scenes with such detail you feel you are actually there with the characters. Having read the back of this, I wasnt sure it would grab me as much as the others, it seemed a little fantasy and over the top compared to Lisa's usual stories of in love/out of love Londoners but after reading the first chapter I could not put it down and it is easily now my favourite. A fantastic mix, of mystery, sadness and humour, you will be left on the edge of your seat to discover what happens to Bea, a sad, lonely, almost enigma of a woman, and her shy, insecure little sister Ana. I couldnt believe how the story comes together and I cried, laughed and was left breathless at times.

Another thing I really love about Lisa Jewell is, like me, she seems to have a love affair with London. Most of her books are set there and she knows the city well, espcially greater London. I loved Friend of the Family because it is set in Beulah Hill, very close to where I am from in Croydon and its a great joy to hear South London boroughs mentioned so often with such accurate descriptions. It says in the authors notes of her books that she lives in North London, but I'd be willing to bet, giving the content in her books, that she is from South of the river but I could be wrong. Either way, this book is a jewell like the author!