Profile for A. Chothia > Reviews

Content by A. Chothia

A. Chothia

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Anker® 5200mAh Extended Battery for Samsung Galaxy S4, SIV, S IV, GT-I9505, with NFC/Google Wallet + White Cover [18-Month Warranty]

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, 5 May 2014
Great upgrade for your phone. Some may complain about the added width, but I don't find it to be much of a problem (I'm not a tight jeans kinda guy). The increase in width actually makes the phone easier to hold. Don't pay any attention to those that say that the cover feels cheap, its very similar in construction to the original Samsung cover that the phone comes with. My only gripe is that I have not found a suitable cover/protector that fits the extended cover. There are some hideous silicone covers that do fit, but they're not to my liking. I did fashion a cover out of some heli tape I had lying around, and I was quite pleased with the results, but it does not protect the corners, so I ditched the idea after a while. Needless to say, you can forget about using any docks or such. I should add that the standard charger fits fine, and surprisingly it doesn't take that long to charge either.

Spigen Neo Hybrid Metal Series Cover Case for Galaxy S4 - Satin Silver (Retail Packaging)

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, but will result in scratches on the camera, 28 April 2014
It is one of the best looking cases for the S4, hands down. And I love the tactile quality of the black backing piece. But it offers no protection for the camera whatsoever. I put my brand new S4 in it, and within a few hours I noticed that the camera had picked up scratches on and around the lens (the only bit that the case does not cover). I must stress that this was only with a few hours use, and the only two places that the phone had been were on my desk, and in my designated front pocket without any other objects. I latter found out that this was not the actual lens that got scratched, but a thin film that comes on the new phone. In any case, the reason this happens is because the case sits flush with the camera, and therefore when you place the phone down , the exposed piece lies flat, directly in contact with the surface that phone is set on. This does not happen if you place the phone screen side down, and this is what I have taken to doing. A bit of an inconvenience, but necessary.

EDIT: I found a solution to my problem. The case comes with three stickers in different colours to customise the home button. I stuck one of these on the back of the cover, centered just above the camera. This raises the camera up, and off of the surface just enough to stop the camera from picking up scratches. It doesn't look half bad either.

Halo Hex Key Wheel Skewers (Pair) Black, Free UK Postage
Halo Hex Key Wheel Skewers (Pair) Black, Free UK Postage
Offered by bike brands direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Bril for the price, 15 April 2014
Nice looking skewers, very easy to attach. To be honest, you don't need to use the cumbersome security skewers that you can find online, these are good enough to deter any thief to look elsewhere.

Yamaha MCR-332 iPod iPhone iPad Stereo Docking System
Yamaha MCR-332 iPod iPhone iPad Stereo Docking System

4.0 out of 5 stars Very impresive for its size., 15 April 2014
Bought this from Amazon, off Amazon.de for 260 Euro. I have no idea why it isn't available from Amazon on Amazon .co.uk.

It wasn't for me, but for a family member. Its very cleverly designed, very compact, although it does stretch back pretty far. Build of the main unit (CRX 332) seems very solid, much better than one would expect in this price range (even better than the equivalent Denon). The speakers are however, not as well built. I may be mistaken, but I believe that they are made of wood, but covered in a glossy plastic. Some people might like it, but I find them a touch tacky. Even the rear port seems cheap, and resemble toilet roll cardboard. But honestly, I'm nitpicking, no one is going to look at the rear of the speaker.

In terms of functionality, its a joy. Starts up really quickly, intuitive to use, nicely weighted buttons and dials, and nice looking remote.

Sound is very good, not great, but its definitely got more than enough in terms of detail to keep most people happy. It may only be 25watts, but its plenty loud. I was quite surprised at how much bass it can produce. The bass is a bit iffy, all bass notes that it produces sound very similar. I wouldn't pair it with a sub-woofer.

The one thing I did swap was the speaker cable. It comes with two bundles of blue wire that resembles dental floss. I only needed under a meter, so I bought some serious speaker cable, and a few banana plugs.

My only real gripe with this system is that it only allows a 3.5mm jack for axillary input. I would have preferred proper RCA jacks.

I hooked it up to a TV and it works really well, better than some of the big brand sound bars that have become popular these days. I detected no buzzing or interference. I suspect it will spend most of its life working in conjunction with the TV.

If I had to buy it for myself, I would probably buy the same main unit (CRX 332), but with different speakers e,g. Q 2010, Boston A25. But that would put it in a different price range, and head to head with Yamaha's own MCR 550.

Abus Primo 580/65 Bike Lock
Abus Primo 580/65 Bike Lock
Price: £11.23 - £29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect as a secondary lock, 11 Mar. 2014
Very quick and easy to use. I use it to lock my front wheel to the frame, and use a sturdier lock to lock the rear wheel and bike to street furniture. Been using it for a few years now, and the locking action is as smooth as the first day I used it.

Its not the thickest cable in the world, and I would not recommend it as a primary lock.

Seat or Helmet Keeper Flex Cable 2.5 ft x 5mm
Seat or Helmet Keeper Flex Cable 2.5 ft x 5mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Seat Lock., 11 Mar. 2014
I use it to permanently lock my seat to the frame. Most of the time I don't even know that its there. And I do know of one occasion where it did save my seat from being stolen, so in my book, its already earned its value.

Verbatim 44051 32GB Micro USB 2.0 Drive Black
Verbatim 44051 32GB Micro USB 2.0 Drive Black

3.0 out of 5 stars You won't even know its there., 11 Mar. 2014
One gave up on me, the other one didn't. This was within a few months of buying them. Luckily I had nothing valuable on it. It fits nicely in my pocket, very handy, and unobtrusive

3 years on and the one that is still surviving has been through the washer and drier twice, and still works. Pretty impressive. If it wasn't for the other one that failed, I'd give this 5*. Its quite possible I got a dud.

Crank Brothers Cobalt Foam XC/Race Grip - Silver, 130 mm
Crank Brothers Cobalt Foam XC/Race Grip - Silver, 130 mm
Offered by Sprocketzz

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm happy, 11 Mar. 2014
Really nice and comfy. They've taken a lot of vibration out of my handlebars, and made riding a touch more enjoyable. But beware, they do soak up water, so try not to get them wet.

Fitting was a breeze. I don't know if they're the best on the market, but they definitely look the part. Go on, you know you want it!

TeckNet USB 3.0 10 Port Hub with 48W Power Adapter and 3ft USB 3.0 Cable [VIA VL812 Chipset]
Offered by SPEEDY GOAL LIMITED

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Web cam and Wireless Keyboard friendly, 11 Mar. 2014
My oldie only has two USB ports. I got this so that I didn't have to keep plugging and unplugging peripherals. It works well with my External HD, CD Drive, and other stuff, but I just can't seem to get my Web Cam nor my wireless keyboard to work. I've tried reinstalling drivers, but to no avail. The only reason I'm not returning it is that I can now connect multiple external HDs in one go, and because of that, I'm finally getting down to organising my files. So not a total waste. Build quality is pretty good, and it doesn't heat up at all.

Q Acoustics 2020I Bookshelf Speaker Stereo - (Pair) (Graphite)
Q Acoustics 2020I Bookshelf Speaker Stereo - (Pair) (Graphite)

5.0 out of 5 stars Mighty Mouse springs to mind.., 26 Feb. 2014
These are great little speakers! The detailing is probably right up there with the best I've ever heard. And sound staging with these is child's play. Don't keep them too close together, aim for around 3m apart, maybe more. And as far away from a rear wall as possible. I think the manual states 20cm, I'd say aim for 50cm. With this in mind, I find it hard to class these as true bookshelf speakers. Its rear ported; if they're going to sit on a shelf with books, they're going to sit right up with their backs against the wall. Yes they do supply a bung to plug the port for this application, but even with the bung, its best to keep them off the wall. About the bung, its just a piece of dense foam, nothing special. In fact you could probably get better results with something else more dense that seals better.

There is one area that these speakers fall a tad short and that is bass. It is capable of producing lower frequencies, but not in the way I would have liked, even with the port open. This is true regardless of genre. Pop in any track that you know well and turn up the dial.

Even so, I'd recommend them to anyone. Just a note on the sizing, they aren't very tall, but they do stretch back a bit. But don't let that put you off, its comparable in depth to any standard component item eg. Amplifier, AV Receiver etc.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3