Profile for J. M. Bartram > Reviews

Content by J. M. Bartram

J. M. Bartram "bartman" (london uk)

Everbuild 450WH Builders Silicone Sealant 450 310 ml - White
Everbuild 450WH Builders Silicone Sealant 450 310 ml - White
Offered by AP Motor Store

5.0 out of 5 stars does what it says on the pack, 31 Mar. 2014
I use it for fixing in double glazing units into wooden frames and does the job perfectly. Very happy with it

Stuart Turner Monsoon Universal 1.5bar Twin Shower pump 46480
Stuart Turner Monsoon Universal 1.5bar Twin Shower pump 46480
Offered by buyaparcel

5.0 out of 5 stars super quiet, 31 Mar. 2014
and easy to fit as one would expect from Stuart Turner. Hope it lasts as long as the ST one it replaced, because in 25 years I won't be around to wory about it!

2.0 out of 5 stars soooo disapointed. Aproach with caution!, 31 Mar. 2014
This review is from: 4 (Audio CD)
Everything I have of Boozoo Bajou's is great, truly great.... except this!
You know how you go in phases with bands, playing their stuff over and over until one day you go off at a tangent by finding something else? Well, for me, it's been nothing but Boozoo Bajou for a very long time now, and was very excited to see a new album out while still in this phase. But this is NOTHING like the funky stuff I've come to know and love. I can't see this joining the 'BB' playlist at all. It's a vast departure and very downbeat and worst of all, I can't see it growing to the stature of all their previous work.
I am very sad today (maybe it's the downbeats!)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2014 4:09 PM BST

Fujifilm X-Pro1 EF-X20 Flashgun for Camera
Fujifilm X-Pro1 EF-X20 Flashgun for Camera

5.0 out of 5 stars love it loads, 20 Feb. 2014
Very nice flash..... great build quality, great results.
I love the dial control and the versatility it gives.
Love the smallness of it - no piece of kit is any good if you've left it at home because you didn't want to carry it.
Oddly does not wok with some types of battery. Does with my standard eneloop, but not with the high capacity eneloop ones (dhoa since I bought them specially for the thing!)

Lens Adapter For Nikon F AI Lens to Fujifilm X Mount Camera Fit Fuji X-E1 DC287
Lens Adapter For Nikon F AI Lens to Fujifilm X Mount Camera Fit Fuji X-E1 DC287
Offered by XCSOURCE

4.0 out of 5 stars works just fine on my X-E1, 28 Jun. 2013
So I have a new X-E1 for street photography and anytime pictures. But I have no Fuji lens yet as waiting for the 'pancake' that is out soon. As a Nikonian I have a shed load of Nikon lens and with this adapter I can use them until that perfect 41mm equiv' lens hits the shops, and also on trips this adapter means my nikon and fuji and sit together nicely.
So how does it work? The Fuji is a lot slimmer than the Nikon meaning the 'film plane' is a lot further forward on the Fuji. Likewise Nikon lens are set to focus at a plane further back than the Fuji lens. So that gives room enough for this adapter to fit between the body and lens, correct the focus plane distance and change the bayonet from Fuji to Nikon.
What does it not do? There are no CPU contacts so no information goes from lens to camera. Auto focus is also impossible as no connection so manual focus only. Aperture is also set manually on the lens so it's Aperture priority or manual only, also Nikon G lens (having no aperture adjustment) only work at the max aperture (f22?) so that is very limiting.
How does the camera handle the thing? You have to set the camera to enable to 'fire with no lens' otherwise nothing happens when you press the release. There are other setting to correct distortion you can do if you really want to get into things..... other than that it handles as a regular, all manual lens.
It's about an inch of metal tube, it adds very little weight, but it does make even little lens quite long.
I'd have given it 5 stars if there were CPU contacts, that aside it is an essential bit of kit for Fuji X-e1 and X-pro1 users

Philips LivingColors Gen 2 69171/30/PU Colour Changing Mood Lamp with Remote Control, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 13 Dec. 2011
I have a modern style wood burning stove in the corner of the living room. Putting this lamp behind it and on a warm red or orange setting, just takes it to another level - it is fantastic. Being on a remote control makes it perfect. When I turn it off I can't believe how I lived without it - it is the perfect finishing touch!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2011 10:00 PM GMT

TVonics DTR-Z500 500GB Digital TV Recorder
TVonics DTR-Z500 500GB Digital TV Recorder

5.0 out of 5 stars so far so good, 24 Nov. 2011
So it's day three of owning this thing. From the get go it just plugs in and tunes itself, and as I bought a refurbished one I thought I'd upgrade the software - easily done through the menu, but it didn't need it. I have set it to record a few things as tests and it has done so no trouble. It is very very quiet which is great. It's very easy to operate as expected.
The menu is different from the one I'm familiar (a Sharp TUT) and not sure it is better, but what is better is the remote which, through a simple programming procedure, will also control the TV (B&O) and the DVD player (Pioneer).
I have a theory on these type of machines - you either get a good one or a bad one and fingers crossed this is a good one. I think they are like computers were in their early days - always crashing. As time has gone on the operating systems get better and better and so are less and less trouble.

Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible
Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible

5.0 out of 5 stars so what's in the box -since no-one else seems to want to tell you!, 5 Aug. 2010
It's just arrived - and since there were no pictures or description I trusted I would get just what I saw on YouTube - the one with Gary Fong opening the box and running through the thing.
So that is what you get - the collapsible diffuser, an adapter ring (should you get a chromedome), a cloudy dome and a card of suggested uses (and a green bit of tissue).
I'll be back once I've had a good ol' trial with the thing... It fit's pretty snug on my SB-900 and on my SB-800, and doesn't look like it's gonna fall off!
Comment Comment | Permalink

GRAINS
GRAINS

5.0 out of 5 stars mellow faantastic, 15 Jan. 2010
This review is from: GRAINS (Audio CD)
Mellow fantastic... great stuff, chilled and funky, with great beats and vocals. I love it

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera
by Bryan Peterson

2.0 out of 5 stars Mmm a little bit entry level I'm afraid, 13 May 2009
A nice book, and some nice pictures, but certainly not gonna help you understand exposure any better!
To illustrate let me quote 'I move in close to the back lit subject and adjust my aperture until the light meter indicates that the correct exposure is set" That's not understanding exposure!! I want to know of what and how the meter reading was taken and why - that would help me understand exposure. "I turned a dial 'til the meter said it was correct"..... since I am older than six, I knew how to do that already!!
What I wanted from this book was in depth understanding, I got some pretty pictures with interesting effect and how the effect was achieved, but no understanding of the how to meter in tricky lighting situations. I say how the effect was achieved but actually the descriptions are a bit cursory, for example to get waterfalls to look fluid and with movement use 1/8th of a second - that's all you get.... no pictures showing shutter speeds either side, nothing.
To conclude; this is not understanding, it's just some half decent pictures where the photographer tells you what aperture and shutter speed he shot them at!