Profile for Joshua Virasami > Reviews

Soldier Box: Why I Won't Return to the War on Terror
Soldier Box: Why I Won't Return to the War on Terror
by Joe Glenton

5.0 out of 5 stars Setting the record straight., 22 May 2013
After having read every single 1 star review I have to say, I'm not surprised but I am still disappointed, I hope you will take the time to read my review as I, like others above me, attempt to set the record straight. Trying to lambast somebody over their development of PTSD is ridiculous and cruel to say the least, PTSD, as outlined by numerous psychological studies develops in a variety of conditions and circumstances with *no time and/or place being ruled out* and since none of the commenters actually served alongside Joe their speculation amounts to just that, speculation. Their second claim is that of cowardice, now cowardice is defined by a lack of bravery which is itself defined by a lack of courage, courage is the ability to do something that frightens one. As frightening as the Taliban, Al Qaeda and fundamentalist pack can be, their creators; the establishment, which manufactured such entities (see Operation Cyclone or Prince Bandar 'Bush') and which wields a thousand fold military and psychological might is by far a more frightening adversary.

I've met Joe, several times and his willingness to face head on this empire, alongside many of us brothers, mothers, grandmothers, priests, monks, bus drivers, postmen, is courage manifest. So for those who will read the 1 star comments and come here my message to you is this, do your own research, meet the guy, he's very accessible, and remember that even by conservative estimations the Afghan War was an utter catastrophe for global narcotic trading and refugee populations without mentioning the cost of human life to both combatants and civilians, for what? It doesn't take a genius to decipher what Dick Cheney meant when he said 'While many regions of the world offer great oil opportunities, the Middle East with two thirds of the world's oil and the lowest cost, is still where the prize ultimately lies.'

In a time where poverty is rife and environmental degradation is hitting a point of no return surely tackling the causes of this is where our efforts should lie. If the causes have time and time again been specified by esteemed scientists, economists, authors, politicians, community organisers as a mind set of perpetual growth and rampant consumerism isn't this what we should be tackling? If this mind-set was itself proposed and perpetuated by those who profit off the poverty and environmental degradation isn't it clear our resources should not be aimed at tackling a few backwater cronies, a weak rogue nation or a red ideology that no longer exists but at tackling our own inherited mindsets by agitating, organising and meditating. Joe Glenton has always, as I've known him, known his true enemy, but further than that he's empowered himself and others to act on the knowledge of the oppression that is taking place world over, as always, in the long run, Truth will prevail.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2013 4:40 PM BST