Profile for Saint > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
DARK CRIMES a gripping detective thriller full of suspense
DARK CRIMES a gripping detective thriller full of suspense

4.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but entertaining, 20 Feb. 2017
Enjoyed the book although some of the writing is a bit stilted and the main characters difficult to visualise. Despite the research that has gone into the procedural aspects of the story it's rather spoilt by elementary errors such as incorrect wording of the police caution and having drinking glasses, potentially deadly weapons, in a murder interview room. That said I'll read the second in the series, particularly as I'm familiar with the main locations.

Death Sentence (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series Book 6)
Death Sentence (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another success, 15 Feb. 2017
Eagerly awaited and enjoyed just as much as the previous books in the Nick Dixon series. Probably more enjoyable if readers start with the first in the series but certainly works as a standalone introduction to Damien Boyd's talents.

Handmade Fun Novelty Miniature Marmite - Love it or Hate it ! Spread Inspired Necklace - Gift Boxed

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it not hate it, 13 Feb. 2017
I got exactly what I paid for, good value and prompt delivery.

Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity Tracker and Sleep Wristband - Black
Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity Tracker and Sleep Wristband - Black
Offered by JB INTL LTD

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 13 Feb. 2017
I was given this as a Christmas present and, like many other reviewers have stated, it worked fine for the first few weeks. Again, like other reviewers, I take care of things and cleaned, charged and wore the thing in line with recommendations. The first problem was when it stopped syncing with my phone app and required resetting, then it lost bluetooth connectivity and I had to reset my phone to enable the tracker to pick up the signal. Within a few days it decided not to record anything but my sleep patterns and also concluded that I had lost several days of my life by insisting that it was 31 January on February 5th. As a resort I downloaded the app to my tablet on the basis that it might have had an argument with my phone. Nope, no different. Maybe if I can get it to function it might record my stress levels? Actually I don't care anymore, it's an expensive bit of junk and I'm going to refund the purchase price to my daughter who spent her hard earned money in good faith. Garbage.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2017 8:29 PM GMT

Faith
Faith

4.0 out of 5 stars Insane?, 29 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Faith (Kindle Edition)
As a regular reader of Peter James books I have to say that Faith is not one of my favourites as the plot is too predictable. However, the storyline is a chilling reminder of how mental health can be manipulated and laid open to interpretation. Overall a good read and a solemn reminder that we shoudn't judge mental health issues with such poor understanding of the brain and it's functions. The definition of insanity depends on the perspective taken by the observer, read on.

Heavenfield: A DCI Ryan Mystery (The DCI Ryan Mysteries Book 3)
Heavenfield: A DCI Ryan Mystery (The DCI Ryan Mysteries Book 3)

2.0 out of 5 stars Losing the plot, 8 Jun. 2016
I'm losing faith in this series and the author. The initial DCI Ryan story lines were acceptable, if less than credible, but Heavenfield is getting uncomfortably close to the ridiculous. Action heroes frequently have attributes to make them stand out from the crowd but Ryan's supposed powers of recovery are significantly beyond belief. Not good enough to even consider reading the next in the series.

A Long Time Dead (SOCO Roger Conniston Book 1)
A Long Time Dead (SOCO Roger Conniston Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Yawn, 8 Jun. 2016
Encouraged by other reader reviews and indications that the book was in some way "gripping" I took the plunge and downloaded A Long Time Dead. I can only express disappointment with the story line and characters. I wont be moving on to the second in the series about the dull Roger and his corrupt colleagues because absolutely nothing about this book inspired me to struggle through more of his improbable adventures.

Smoke and Mirrors (The Acer Sansom Novels Book 3)
Smoke and Mirrors (The Acer Sansom Novels Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars The impossible achieved by the incredible., 1 Jun. 2016
As followers of Oliver Tidy might expect events stretch belief past the limits of credibility. Typically, Smoke and Mirrors is a fast paced and entertaining story and Acer continues to make other action heroes look a touch conservative in their abilities to avoid impending doom. The author deserves credit for his research, which permits the reader to experience a chunk of authenticity and a subsequent willingness to accept the near to impossible. Definitely recommended, but potential readers would probably benefit from reading the series in order rather than buying this as a stand alone.

You Are Dead (Roy Grace series Book 11)
You Are Dead (Roy Grace series Book 11)

3.0 out of 5 stars Back to basics, please., 29 April 2016
I've read the complete Roy Grace series and, apart from the irritating spectre of his ex wife, found the story lines generally compelling or at least entertaining. On this occasion I constantly felt like a member of the Monty Python team wanting to "stop the sketch it's getting silly". Implausible is probably the very least of the descriptions that I could apply to this book, is Peter James is really attemting to create a genre of flippant horror tales tacked onto what has been a decent series of detective novels? I sincerely hope not. Hopefully Book 12 wont have a drug crazed, evil mutant monster called Sandy living in the sewers beneath Brighton, really I hope not.

Dead Simple (Roy Grace series Book 1)
Dead Simple (Roy Grace series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 9 Feb. 2016
I was influenced by reader reviews when choosing this book and, despite encountering issues already raised by other readers,was not disappointed. Without doubt there are some slightly irritating aspects (choose your own!) but certainly insufficient to spoil the reading experience. I have now read books two and three of the series and, in my opinion, they are an improvement on Dead Simple. I am now sufficiently hooked to follow the complete Roy Grace series so either I'm easily pleased or Peter James is a writer with considerable talent. Recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4