Profile for "phillipbrooker" > Reviews

I Should Coco
I Should Coco
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Summer '95 all over again..., 25 Mar. 2004
This review is from: I Should Coco (Audio CD)
Just bought this album last week after listening to "In it for the Money" and "Supergrass" on a pub jukebox last week. Once upon a time, I used to listen to a hell of a lot of britpop, but since then I've got into all sorts of things. Listening to the two albums mentioned above reminded me how good Supergrass actually are, so I bought it, and I think it's just fantastic.
Of course, everybody knows "Alright", but that's nowhere near the best song on the album. "I'd Like to Know" and "Mansize Rooster" are just about the most fun a tune can be, and that's what this type of music is all about. Since this album, Supergrass have grown into a much more mature (but no less fun) band, and this record shows pretty much their most raucous adolescent side, which is at times hilarious, and at others, just a clear ineffable British coolness. Admittedly, it tails off a little towards the end, but when it's on in the background of a party filled with 18 year olds, beer and maybe a little bit of other substances (such as those that Gaz was caught by the fuzz for), it's just storming all the way through. A definate for Supergrass fans, but for those new to the band, get "In it for the Money".

Sony MZ-N710 Silver Net MiniDisc Walkman
Sony MZ-N710 Silver Net MiniDisc Walkman

4.0 out of 5 stars the most useful tool in home recording, 3 Jan. 2004
The minidisc player is very sound as it goes. It's even comparable to an MP3 player, as you can use it directly with your computer, although you still have to record data to the minidisc itself. It's got all mod cons, graphic EQ, remote controlled headphones, records LP4 and all that gubbins. It's technically very high spec, and you cannot fault any of it's functions in any way. The best minidisc out at the moment at this kind of price range.
However, there's one important drawback to this...the actual layout of controls and the quality of the hardware on it (i.e. buttons and things like that) is dubious on my particular item. For what I use the minidisc for, I need to name every track I record and because of this, even after only abomut two weeks, the quality of the buttons haas deteriorated. Now, a new minidisc cover costs a fair packet, so I don't want to buy another one if it will do the same thing. It's not too big a deal if I'm careful with it, but it's a pain all the same seeing as I paid 120 quid for it. It seems like the button has come away from the casing slightly and seems fragile. It might only be my particular player, as someone I know with exactly the same player has no problems with this whatsoever. However, I think it's important to bring this up, because if you are heavy handed or clumsy with this, then it WILL get damaged quite easily.
But overall, there isn't another minidisc on the market that is better than this for what it does. It has everything on it that you could possibly want, and for those interested in home recording of all kinds of music could use this effectively. Personally, I use this alongside a 32 track digital studio so that I can mix down straight onto minidisc and then put songs on my PC, THEN burn them to CD. NO quality is lost, everything is digital, and the minidisc is even compatible with really good microphones. I would recommend purchasing the MS-907 Sony microphone alongside this if you are a musician. Using this microphone, you can record just about anything you want (singing as well if you need to) and put it into songs, which is a huge benefit. I also use it a lot just for personal enjoyment of music, and I find that recording at LP4 length, I can fit at least six albums on a 74 minute minidisc, which is of course an absolute dream.
I would definately recommend this minidisc for pretty much all purposes, but in the same breath I would advise people to be very careful with the buttons on it. I had the same problem with another minidisc player, so I suspect I was just a bit heavy handed with the kit, but there you go...just a warning for you not to do the same.