Profile for Japes > Reviews

Content by Japes

Japes

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
New A-Level Biology: AQA Year 1 & AS Complete Revision & Practice with Online Edition
by CGP Books

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great title from CGP, 23 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm NOT studying for my A-levels but do know a bit about biology and life sciences, so have been quite interested in reviewing many of the GCSE and A-level science titles from CGP.

I have to say I'm overall really impressed with the output from this company, and although this book is only of use to those about to sit the contemporary version of the AQA Y1 & AS, it does work very nicely and would be a great focus I think rather than the temptation for a student to spent a 'few hours online' looking for and printing out practice papers etc... With this, you just get on with it and go online as provided.

Farrow & Ball How to Decorate: Transform your home with paint & paper
Farrow & Ball How to Decorate: Transform your home with paint & paper
by Farrow & Ball

4.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas book for colours from F+B, 23 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have always liked F+B paints ever since they came to the market, I first noticed them in Homebase many years ago, at the time offering a unique range of colours and a superior quality - although it has to argued that rivals have caught up somewhat with this, I was very pleased to be able to review this book.

We have recently moved home and wanted to give our traditional property a more modern look. This isn't old fashioned 'country cottage' style, and shows you how to create lovely modern interiors and coordinate colour from the F+B palette. It's definitely given me inspiration to try colour combinations I wouldn't have considered had I not seen the ideas given in the book, which is far more than just an extended colour chart. The photography is excellent, and shows the range at its vibrant best.

Rexel ActiVita Pod+ Daylight Lamp with Time, Data and Temperature LCD Display
Rexel ActiVita Pod+ Daylight Lamp with Time, Data and Temperature LCD Display
Offered by GET ME OFFICE SUPPLIES

4.0 out of 5 stars Great desk light for a workplace or home office., 23 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Brilliant lamp which I've now used in my office for several months now, so this is a long term test. First things first, rather oddly the clock is entirely powered by batteries, so until you insert them you'll just get a large blue area on the body with no clock data at all. I understand the batteries being used as backup, but this is a bit different; presumably to save costs.

There is one other thing that might initally be slightly annoying, when you change from daylight to warm; whilst it's fairly obvious, there is no indicator or actual way of knowing, But, it's a nice feature that you can change the colour temperature and when you're used to the difference between the light it's not an issue.

The brightness control is useful, and the power supply is light, compact, and silent, it seems to be of good quality with all the correct markings.

Overall, an expensive light but one which I hope lasts a long time.

3M 6002 CR Refills For Half Mask - White
3M 6002 CR Refills For Half Mask - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Great industry standard protection, 23 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Comfortable and effective, 'industry standard' mask refills. The mask itself is available in several sizes and is very comfortable. These inserts are sold worldwide and a top choice for protection against industrial gases, vapours, fine dust and liquid mists; I use them when spray painting on a DIY scale.

3M 8822 Cup Shaped Particulate Respirator - White (3-Piece)
3M 8822 Cup Shaped Particulate Respirator - White (3-Piece)

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking trade and DIY grade dust mask., 23 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A cracking basic respirator, very similar to JSB ones I have used in the past. The main features of this basic respirator are the valved exhale vent, so that breathing out is done through an air channel, rather than back through the mask, reducing moisture buildup and increasing comfort.

Great for things like sanding, sawing. MDF, and most recently replacing failed 1970s loft insulation that was breaking down badly into the air.

Just to be clear, this is a 'dust and nuisance' mask; not for fumes and vapours such as painting etc...

Modern Standardization: Case Studies at the Crossroads of Technology, Economics, and Politics
by Ron Schneiderman

4.0 out of 5 stars The 'Z' is thankfully not for 'Zzzz'!, 23 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very (understandably) dry read, there is little I have to add to previous reviews but this is a timely book at the moment that Apple chooses once again to 'reinvent the wheel' when it comes to standards; with the exception of USB at the 'distal' end of their smaller products and as a host interface on their desktop range, of course.

This is a good read for anyone involved in system design, using COTs equipment, designers, manufactuerers, indeed anyone that just wants to know 'WHY?' to odd quirks and design rules on globalised products.

How to Develop Your Healthcare Career: A Guide to Employability and Professional Development (HOW - How To) (Wiley-Blackwell Handbooks in Personality and Individual Differences)
by Lisa E. Taylor

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read for AHPs despite the price, 23 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I recently found myself somewhat stagnant in my non-medical healthcare career, so being offered this book gave me a few ideas and inspired me to reevaluate my position. I was able to see a few more ideas about how to take my career forward than I might have been able to consider on my own; and more importantly, from relying on the trust alone. It made me think about my former employer and catch up with some old work colleagues, giving me an insight into how things have moved on in a relatively short time and the opportunities that this has created.

More of a general read aimed at AHPs than a career guide with specific options (after all, these are things that you can find easily on the internet) I would recommend this book to anyone at the early-mid part of their healthcare career.

Hammock, Blusmart Nylon Parachute Taffeta Camping Hammocks Portable High Strength Tree Bed for Garden, Picnic, Travel Outdoors and Hiking
Offered by hojyuk

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended if you're on a budget, 4 Aug. 2016
Really enjoyed using this hammock so far. Although I was given this item as a sample to review, provided that all are made to the same quality, you should have no problems using it safely - I was even happy with the carabiners which I was expecting to have to replace.

We were lucky to have two trees close together, but if not, you could use a wall and a ground stake, or even a free standing wooden 'tipi' type frame at each end.
Comment Comment | Permalink

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Not sure? Don't worry - try these tubes!, 3 Jun. 2016
Note: This review is based on a free sample provided by the seller, however I am under no obligation to provide a positive review.

I've been switching to LED lamps over the house the last few years, as the price has come down and quality (especially brightness) improved.

However, tubes are a different matter, and like the other reviewers I have tubes in the loft and in a shed that aren't suitable for replacement with circular fittings nor bare lamps, even if I wanted to.

What's useful with these is that they are designed to go straight into fittings with an existing magnetic ballast; that's not to say they won't work in other types of fitting / enclosure but that modification; not covered in the manual, may be required.

First up, the packaging is frankly the best I've ever seen on a fluorescent tube! These arrived in tip-top condition despite the couriers best attempts, as each is in a foam lined cardboard tube, fully recyclable.

My target fitting was a 5ft loft light, which had been getting very slow to start and yellow the last few years; but, it's a loft! However we're using the loft for storage more now so this was a great time to upgrade.

I simply changed the tired old starter for the new one supplied with the kit (probably a simple link, as there is no need for external control gear), plugged in the new lamp, and...well that was it! A very nice tone of light for a utility space.

I am very pleased with my lamps and would not hesitate to use these commercially, provided that lamp life is consistent. On that basis I have ordered 2 x 4ft tubes, which I will trial in my shed / workshop as a long term test.

GCSE Biology AQA 10-Minute Tests (including Answers) (A*-G course)
GCSE Biology AQA 10-Minute Tests (including Answers) (A*-G course)
by Cgp Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy revision, easily portable! Paper and ink isn't dead yet..., 22 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm NOT studying for my GCSES but do know a bit about biology and life sciences, so have been quite interested in reviewing many of the GCSE and A-level science titles from CGP.

I have to say I'm overall really impressed with the output from this company, and although this book is only of use to those about to sit the contemporary version of the AQA GCSE, it does work very nicely and would be a great focus I think rather than the temptation for a student to spent a 'few hours online' looking for and printing out practice papers etc... With this, you just get on with it and write in the book.

There are 30 '10 minute' tests in total, each between 10-12 questions long and a mix of multiple choice and short form answers.
As pointed out by others, it is strictly a book of questions and answers only; the revision guide sold separately. However, there is a very well written marking guide at the back, which is something that will be of huge benefit.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20