Profile for Mr. P. South > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. South

Mr. P. South "snouty" (Frome, Somerset)

Page: 1 | 2
W7 Coverstick with Teatree oil - light/medium
W7 Coverstick with Teatree oil - light/medium
Offered by Makeupcandy

4.0 out of 5 stars Great price for useful product, 24 Feb. 2016
Bought it for the wife. She loved it. Cheap AND good.

The DV Rebel's Guide: An All-digital Approach to Making Killer Action Movies on the Cheap (Peachpit)
by Stu Maschwitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Low budget filmmakers essential text, 24 Feb. 2016
One of the best books on low budget filmmaking ever, tiny bit out of date now but ost of the tips still hold water and there's also things here I've never seen anywhere else.

Trick Decks: How to Hack Playing Cards for Extraordinary Magic
Trick Decks: How to Hack Playing Cards for Extraordinary Magic

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 24 Feb. 2016
fab book by the Maker King, if you like magic and you like making this is the book for you

AeroPress Filter Papers, Pack of 350, White
AeroPress Filter Papers, Pack of 350, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price, 24 Feb. 2016
great item, they last forever, so long I always forget where I bought them the last time.

Kilo Tea ball infuser 150mm (Boxed)
Kilo Tea ball infuser 150mm (Boxed)
Offered by ukhugepower

4.0 out of 5 stars Great item and you can't argue with the price, 24 Feb. 2016
arrived a couple of days after the stated delivery date but I didn't mind that. It takes so long for things to arrive from China you kinda forget about them anyway. Great item and you can't argue with the price. Heads up: it is designed for use with longer leaf teas; tiny leaves and dust will fall right through the holes.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great item, great price, 24 Feb. 2016

Time-lapse Photography: A Complete Introduction to Shooting, Processing and Rendering Timelapse Movies with a DSLR Camera

4.0 out of 5 stars Technical know how for creative choices, 12 Oct. 2015
There's a lot of technical info in this book. If you are a beginner its might be heavy going, but if you are intermediate or expert this contains all the tools and information you will need to start getting impressive results.

The New World
The New World
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully crafted retelling of a strange but oddly relevant tale from Philip K Dick, 16 Jan. 2015
I really liked it. Okay it suffers from a slight Hollywoodisation of quite a strange Philip K Dick book, but it does have some good dramatic value and is beautifully crafted piece of television. I'm really hoping this goes for a full series.

The story of the book is one of speculation about a possible alternate history after WWII but it goes further than that. As with all PKD stories the themes are identity, what you can and can't believe, how the state controls what you know and can know, and how people struggle to overturn control no matter how complete the control is or how impossible it is to change.

Cross fingers.

Stone of Fire (ARKANE Book 1)
Stone of Fire (ARKANE Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Tomb Raider plus Da Vinci Code divided by The Lost Ark, 19 Dec. 2011
I'm currently enjoying this book by Joanna Penn, which is a much more exciting and gritty read than I was expecting from Joanna. Why?

Okay how to put this delicately... it's not that I'm sexist because despite my age I'm really not, ask anyone. But you know, this kind of sprawling, globe trotting, religious themed, action adventure thriller is historically the province of men; retired marines, mercenaries or CIA analysts. Or Dan Brown. It's what you expect. And Joanna is, self evidently to my well trained eye, a woman. So then my not entirely foolish expectation when perusing her first novel was of something a little more, you know, delicate in character. I've watched the videos on her blog and my expectation was preset by my experience of her happy video interviews with authors around the world.

But wow, beneath her pleasant and chirpy demeanour lurks the black heart of a terrorist interrogator, a fearless adventurer. She kills a nun in cold blood in the opening, burns her alive, and that's just for starters. It's a surprising and thrilling read and contains more than its predicted ration of shocks. I won't tell you anything more about the story (I've already said too much) I'll just let you be surprised and consumed by it as I was. I will say if you enjoy Mr Brown and his ilk and are tiring of their formula, Joanna's entry into the genre is a breath of fresh air. Well, slightly stale air from a cobwebby, underground hiding place of some dark religious secret. But, you know, air. And her female protagonist is strong, clever and resourceful, but not in a cheesy Tomb Raider way. More like Indiana Jones than Lara Croft. And deep joy I hear she's working on another book in the series!

I found it really enjoyable, and while it's of course very cheap on Kindle or other ebook readers, having read it on Kindle for iPad I fully intend to buy it as a paperback book in the new year for the moment I inevitably re-read it. Yeah I still read actual books, and re-read things I've already read. What of it? Sue me.

My Memories of a Future Life - the complete novel
My Memories of a Future Life - the complete novel

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, disturbing, and cinematic ride, 20 Oct. 2011
Once again I should state for the record that I know Roz personally, and I have reviewed the episodic version of this book before. My review in no way should be construed as me pumping her work as a favour because I'm not comfortable doing that. Of course I will recommend work by friends as a favour but this usually extends to just that. This was something different, I genuinely believe this is a great book and deserves a wider audience. So the disclaimer is that, I know Roz and like her a lot but I'm writing this review because the book itself is worthy of praise.

Now I'm glad we got that out of the way, and having read the whole book and having had some time to think it over I feel ready to write a proper review of the piece overall.

You know how sometimes you read a book and it lives in your mind for ages afterwards? And how sometimes you read a book and can't put it down until it's finished and when it is finished you feel slightly bereft? This book is like that. So many questions in your mind, so many memories of events and thoughts you had when you were reading it.

Of the many thoughts I had while reading this book:

1. Damn she's good. As a writer myself I was very jealous of how well realised and entertaining and yet thought provoking her story was.

2. What an interesting thought. I can't really tell you what that thought was because knowing that up front would possibly ruin the surprise.

3. I love it when a story introduces you to a world (in this case the world of professional classical musicians) that you are aware of but not fully involved in. All the flavour and nuance of the world adds to the atmosphere and leaves you with the pleasing (but probably hilariously false) idea that you know this world inside out.

4. On the last page I just sat there looking at it. That's it? It's over? But what about...? And did they? I mean don't get me wrong the book ends entirely as it should, a piece of art should always pose more questions than it answers. I think the lack of total complete closure is a stylistic flourish and one that as time goes on I am more and more happy with.

For starters it might open the way to another book, which I'd love by the way, but more than that I think it's singlehandedly responsible for the high regard I hold this story. It's not answering all questions, so unlike mainstream trashy novels, the point is not to "find out what happens" because what happens is less interesting than "why happens" and "when happens". It's also treating you like a grown up with a brain and enjoining you to use it to sift the facts of the story into a pleasing order so that you can enjoy the cultural aftertaste for months and even years to come.

Plus because the truth of the story is not obvious, you come away satisfied but feeling you could easily read it again to get a bit more juice out of it.

That said it is a phenomenally easy book to read, relaxed, easy and sensory style, lots for your visual cortex to chew on. Which is what would make this book such a good film. It's very visual, and in this modern computer graphics era totally doable.

Add to all this the fact I read the book on my iPhone Kindle app, not the most comfortable reading platform for someone as visually challenged as me, but totally doable. In those circumstances the text has to be riveting or you will give up. Actually provided I used my reading glasses I found the whole kindle experience to be a delightful way to read this book. On a larger screen like an actual Kindle or an iPad it would be even better.

So when Roz first pointed the book out to me and asked if I cared to read it and give my opinion I thought it would be a commitment of a few minutes flipping the pages and a tweet or a mention on Facebook. Actually it was hours of reading and even more hours of thinking, and a considerable amount of enjoyment.

Roz has ghost written many books under famous names, and so as a writer I can understand that writing under her own name for the first time, no mask, nowhere to hide, would be a daunting task. Add to that the worry about the book being good enough and doing her justice must have been similarly troubling. But I can say she has nothing to worry about. This is an original, substantial, entertaining read from someone who knows how to tell a story which entertains, provokes and in an odd way soothes. You'll understand that last word better once you've read the book.

A wonderful, disturbing and cinematic ride. I wish her every success with it!

Page: 1 | 2