Profile for lorna96 > Reviews

Harold Lloyd: The Definitive Collection [DVD]
Harold Lloyd: The Definitive Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Harold Lloyd

5.0 out of 5 stars Who says old silent movies are boring?, 11 Nov. 2010
Only a few months ago I heard about Harold Lloyd. I loved Charlie Chaplin when I was a kid and lately I watched his works again - that was when Harold Lloyd's name came out. I watched clips from Safety Last! first on internet, liked it very much, and bought this box-set so the whole family could also watch. This turns out to be one of the best DVDs I ever bought. My parents, sister & 7 year-old niece (who at first asked where was the colour gone), all loved watching the movies. The good thing about silent movies is, there are not many dialogues, and I didn't have to tire myself out to translate, as my mother doesn't speak English and my niece has only begun to learn it. We all laugh out loud watching the movies and scream whenever there is a dangerous stunt. Harold Lloyd was very brave and it seems he did the stunts himself; and it's amazing since his hand was deformed. My personal favourite is The Kid Brother, which is hilarious from start to finish, has many great stunts, and has nice music soundtrack.

The Count of Monte Cristo [VHS] (2002)
The Count of Monte Cristo [VHS] (2002)
VHS
Offered by robertsmike2005

4.0 out of 5 stars The count has lost some of his virtue, 3 Feb. 2003
Transforming a thick classic novel into a 2-hour-movie is not an easy task and too risky, especially if it is well known and well loved. Here comes one more director who dares to take the challenge and in this case, he picks Alexandre Dumas’s The Count of Monte Cristo. The book itself has easily become one of my favourites: it’s about a journey of an honest man who is thrown to the depth of hell by jealousy and when he can get out, he seek vengeance upon his enemies.
Basically, this movie is very wonderful --- if I hadn’t read the book. However as I have, I must admit that I’m not very pleased with how the plot is changed. It is actually a good step from the movie maker, so people who have read the novel also want to know what will happen next. But if the changes are too many and not really necessary, they can be somehow annoying. i.e. ruining the messages and spirit in the original. The morality, for example, becomes lower. It’s not appropriate in my opinion, considering the story takes place in the 19th century and the main character is a virtuous person. I think that some compromises have been made here to attract more teenagers.
Scenes in Chateau d’If remind me of typical 80’s kungfu movies : The hero who is formerly ignorant gets an opportunity to be trapped in a cave with a master who can teach him anything.
On the other side, I find the two main actors very convincing. Guy Pearce is marvellous; and Jim Caviezel, really handsome with that goatee, successfully makes the Count come to life. This is still an extraordinary tale, shot in beautiful places, and worth to watch.

Lord Arthur Savile's Crime (Modern Classics)
Lord Arthur Savile's Crime (Modern Classics)
by Oscar Wilde

5.0 out of 5 stars A literature to be enjoyed, 4 Jan. 2003
This book contains 8 short stories: Lord Arthur Savile's Crime, The Canterville Ghost, The Model Millionaire, The Young King, The Fisherman and His Soul, The Portrait of Mr W.H, (and 2 stories for children:) The Happy Prince, and The Devoted Friend.
I always like the style of Wilde's writing. His is not so hard to read and the language is beautiful, you can quote so many.

A Death Divided
A Death Divided
by Clare Francis
Edition: Audio Cassette

4.0 out of 5 stars A thriller well written and well read., 15 Feb. 2002
This review is from: A Death Divided (Audio Cassette)
A house belongs to Jenna and her brother is to be sold. There is a document to be signed. The problem is: Jenna has been missing for four years. Her father asks Joe, Jenna's childhood friend and a lawyer struggling to survive his job, to find her.
The suspense in A Death Divided by Clare Francis is well-built. Clues are given one by one, through Joe's journey in the search of Jenna and her husband, by people close to them. However, when his task is done, Joe realizes that there are really things that should be better forgotten and left alone.
Jeremy Northam gives emotions to all the characters and add more thrill in this thriller.