Profile for N. Maddy > Reviews

How to Manifest Money Effortlessly: Techniques to be more prosperous
How to Manifest Money Effortlessly: Techniques to be more prosperous
by Dr. Bruno R Cignacco

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 23 Aug. 2014
Will have to read it again. A lot of it was common sense but that's about it.

E-Squared: Nine Do-It-Yourself Energy Experiments That Prove Your Thoughts Create Your Reality
by Pam Grout

3.0 out of 5 stars It was an interesting read but the challenges set didnt ..., 23 Aug. 2014
It was an interesting read but the challenges set didnt work. Will have to read again and try it again at some point.

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything
Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything
by Elizabeth Gilbert

5.0 out of 5 stars ... into 'finding myself' stories but this is a bloody good read., 23 Aug. 2014
I'm not into 'finding myself' stories but this is a bloody good read.

Committed: A Love Story
Committed: A Love Story
by Elizabeth Gilbert

5.0 out of 5 stars This isnt a story that focuses on the actual love story as such, 23 Aug. 2014
This isnt a story that focuses on the actual love story as such. It focuses on the sociological explanation of commitment. It identifies different communities and their cultural attitude towards commitment. Religious history on marriage is particularly interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed this narrative. Its a love story trying to understand the root of love with all its fragility. Definitely worth a read.

The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream
The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream
by Paulo Coelho

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Aug. 2014
Fantastic book. I totally get it

Memories of the Old Plantation Home: A Creole Family Album
Memories of the Old Plantation Home: A Creole Family Album
by Laura Locoul Gore

5.0 out of 5 stars An inciteful window into the past., 4 Jan. 2014
I picked this book up at the gift store on the plantation in 2002 and never read it. Ten years later I blew off the dust and read this book on the subway/tube to work. A wonderful insight into the past, family lives, creole lives, Louisiana people. It was like being in a time machine. This book is a treasure and a wonderful read.

Mockingjay (part III of The Hunger Games Trilogy)
Mockingjay (part III of The Hunger Games Trilogy)
by Suzanne Collins

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmph..., 24 Oct. 2012
To be honest, I think Suzanne Collins had already got her film deal when she wrote this. It's written for film in a spectacular visual sort of way which is a lot different from writing from an emotional place. Katniss at this point got on my nerves so much, I kept wondering if she was going to die before the novel finished so that there would be some other nice ending to it. I don't feel sorry for Katniss at all in this book, she is so self absorbed and angry I'm just not buying it anymore. I wonder why anyone puts up with her and have a lot more empathy and feeling for the other characters. In fact I ended up wondering why Gale and Peeta liked her? Why? I wasn't buying that after a while because the unnecessary anger issues just got tedious.

The book has lots of descriptions of pods, underground mines, 21st century planes, electric doors, fancy pod like structures - so much description I kept turning pages to get away from it all. I read the book quickly because I needed to get to the end not because I was enjoying it but because I was frustrated. Mocking jay has that classic 3rd film feel where the underlying emotional theme of the first film is lost.

Yes it's revolutionary but it's written in a way where I cease to care.

What's good about it is the idea of Reality TV - that once you start your life on Reality Tv it will never leave you - You will always be a slave to it

Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades of Grey
by E L James

2.0 out of 5 stars Well...., 24 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades of Grey (Paperback)
Honestly,

I don't think it warrants a review.

Amazon says I have to write 20 words so here we go...

I read the whole book and got an epiphany....dah dah(hands waving) how not to write a book properly. However EL James did this and has made lots of dosh, so where does that leave us?

I cant hate on a very good plan of action but I can hate on the story itself. So what's my opinion? There is no great revelation of some sort of special sex that we have all been waiting for, the 25yr old, helicopter flying, multi-millionaire Mr Grey... really?
Really?
The idiot main character who needs to be bitch slapped into next week.....

Whatever

The Hunt (Hunt 1)
The Hunt (Hunt 1)
by Andrew Fukuda

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected, 24 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Hunt (Hunt 1) (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. I read some comments detailing how unrealistic it was but I disagree. When I read books I don't take my time to pick out flaws unless they are horrid and strangle me into submission.

I love the fact that Humans were considered primitive and that there were no romantic descriptions of Vampires. That was all thrown in the bin. In this book, you are truly terrified of them, their habits are alien, aggressive and haunting. You do not want a Vampire to notice you. You do not want a Vampire to fall in love with you. Terrific. I love the ending, which left me wanting more. It turns everything on its head.

Brilliant.

Clay's Ark
Clay's Ark
by Octavia E. Butler

5.0 out of 5 stars Damn good read, 24 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Clay's Ark (Paperback)
This is a great novel, set over maybe a week a couple of days, This book could easily be a successful cult low budget movie and I am wondering why no one has tried up till now.

The story follows a father and his two daughters who are off on a trip and get abducted by strangers. The strangers look sick and take them back to their 'village' where everyone else looks just as ill. One of the daughters has Leukemia and it's not clear whether she will survive the ordeal, but the strangers seem pretty tolerant...until they explain to their captures the reason for their abduction.

The novel delves into the past as well as the present throughout the novel and it works tremendously. I would highly recommend this novel to anyone who hasn't read any of Octavia Butler's work but is wondering which book to try first.

Anyone who reads this book will not be disappointing, it's a page turner and a half.

Page: 1 | 2