Profile for E. A. Redfearn > Reviews

Content by E. A. Redfearn

E. A. Redfearn "eredfearn2" (Middlesbrough)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Debussy: Orchestral Music - Images/La Mer/3 Nocturnes etc.
Debussy: Orchestral Music - Images/La Mer/3 Nocturnes etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Rendition of the music of Debussy, 28 Nov. 2015
This is a superb disc; sound quality and performances first rate. The rendition of Prelude a L'Apres-midi d' un faune is lovely, beautifully performed; one of Debussy's most famous creations. There is more than two hours of lovely music on these two discs, which will satisfy any admirer of the music of Debussy.

Some Enchanted Evening - The Concert Of Your Dreams - 5 Disc Box Set
Some Enchanted Evening - The Concert Of Your Dreams - 5 Disc Box Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Class Recordings of Popular Music, 28 Nov. 2015
Being a music lover I am familiar with all the tracks on these 5 discs, and don't mind listening to different versions. In fact, I found this box set wonderfully entertaining, and the sound quality and performances are absolutely first class!! For the price being offered, it is an absolute bargain, so any music lover out there who enjoys a bit of everything, light music, shows, film scores, opera, piano music etc, you should buy this to add to your collection. I didn't find one bad track anywhere amongst the 5 discs. So, full marks once again to Reader's Digest for ensuring that top class quality is maintained as usual.

The Man Who Could Cheat Death
The Man Who Could Cheat Death

2.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointing Effort Despite It's Good Cast, 26 Nov. 2015
I remember watching this film at the local ABC Cinema years ago, and have not seen it since. So, I decided to rent this courtesy of Lovefilm on Blu-Ray. It is not a long film, about 82 minutes, but despite its good cast, Anton Diffring, Christopher Lee and the beautiful Hazel Court, I found it terribly dull and far too talky. The only good thing I could say about this film was spotting the sets used in other Hammer films such as Dracula, The Curse of Frankenstein and the Revenge of Frankenstein. At least it did give me some interest during some of the most dullish scenes I have ever seen in a Hammer film. Sad really, a wasted effort.

Mad Max: Fury Road [Blu-ray + Dolby Atmos + Dolby Digital] [2015] [Region Free]
Mad Max: Fury Road [Blu-ray + Dolby Atmos + Dolby Digital] [2015] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Tom Hardy

3.0 out of 5 stars An All Action Movie Just For Fans of Mad Max., 10 Nov. 2015
Having watched the other Mad Max movies over the years, I decided to purchase this new version after reading some positive reviews. First things first, the Blu-Ray presentation is absolutely stunning; one of the best I have ever seen, and that is saying something. Furthermore, the Dolby Atmos soundtrack which transmits in DolbyHD on my system is great. As for the film itself, I must admit I was a little disappointed with the story since there was very little interaction with the main characters. There is no time to get to know the characters, instead, it is action all the way, and since the vehicle chases go on for such a long time with some amazing stunts and effects, I did find it a little boring after a while since it seemed repetitive. Still, I am sure there are many fans of the genre who will be more than happy with what is offered her. I would have liked more character development, because without that, I couldn't gel with any of the main characters. A great Blu-Ray disc though, especially if you have a Home Cinema system to show off to your friends.

Rebecca
Rebecca
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars A Worthy Version of a Popular Du Maurier Drama., 12 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Rebecca (DVD)
Having being familiar with the Hitchcock version which I have viewed many times over the years, I was tempted to view this since I always enjoy watching the acting skills of Charles Dance and Emilia Fox. I have never read the book, so I wasn't influenced by that, only the film versions. It ran for more than three hours, but I certainly didn't think it was overlong. It was well acted and produced. Admittedly, I did think, like some other viewers think that Charles Dance wasn't really right for the lead part of De Winter, being a little old perhaps and fair. Nevertheless, he played the part well and being the good actor he is, rarely disappoints. I did like Emilia Fox in the role as the shy bride, even though she may have been too young for the part. The star however, is Dame Diana Rigg, who having to take the role as established onscreen by Dame Judith Anderson as Mrs Danvers in the Hitchcock version; and who had set such a high standard for other actresses to follow, played her part to great acclaim.

There were many good locations used with great authentic sets, contributing to an atmosphere which was right for the story. My only criticism though is that the ending is a little flat, we do not really know what actually happened to Mrs Danvers for instance after the fire, unless I missed something. A worthy view for those who like Du Maurier dramas, a good cast with great production values.

Classic Film Scores: Bette Davis
Classic Film Scores: Bette Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of Bette Davis Greatest Movie Scores., 7 Oct. 2015
I recall a similar LP being released many years ago as part of a series of Classic Film Scores conducted by Charles Gerhardt. These LPs contained some fabulous music scores, many of them classics from the golden era of Hollywood, the 1930s and 1940s. Now, being reissued with remastered sound on CD and very welcome they are too.

Bette Davis, one of the all time great stars of yesteryear is well represented on this CD, highlights from some of her most famous films, notably "Now Voyager" ( they don't make romance movies like this any more) "Dark Victory" ( a real tearjerker this one) "Elizabeth and Essex"; "All About Eve"; and one of my own favourites "Juarez" (Carlotta's Theme, this is beautiful). There are 12 tracks altogether, and I am sure this compilation will satisfy Ms Davis' fans everywhere. A stunning disc, well recorded and beautifully performed.

Samsung Slim 3D External Blu-ray - White
Samsung Slim 3D External Blu-ray - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Value and Works Well with Windows 10., 7 Oct. 2015
I had been thinking for some time about purchasing this external Blu-Ray hard drive. Having bought a Sony Movie Studio HD DVD creator a few months back (from Amazon) which can transfer projects to Standard Discs as well as Blu-Ray Discs, I was tempted.

The package turned up about a week after ordering, and I was eager to try it out. First annoying aspect was the short USB Lead which was too short for my desktop, so I used a small stool on which to place the Hard Drive. The other worry was though whether it would work with Windows 10. After a couple of dummy runs transferring short movies and slideshows to disc, I am happy to report it does work very well with Windows 10. Phew!! That was a big relief. After playing the discs in my Sony Blu-Ray player, I was quite impressed with the results. Some of the graphics looked stunning, showing great detail, and the soundtrack was pretty good too. Of course, I used TDK BD-RE rewritable discs, and I must mention that the transfers from the Movie Creator does take longer than using standard discs, about 20-30 minutes longer on average, depending on the length of the project. So, patience is needed. I used a desktop which I only bought three months ago for discs transfers, although I did try it on my laptop which is five years old. Unfortunately, the project crashed, there just wasn't enough memory in the laptop to complete. So, I would recommend using an updated Desktop or Laptop with plenty of memory to transfer movie or slideshow projects to Blu-Rays. One more thing, I have not tried playing a blu-ray disc on this via my Desktop, so I cannot comment on this. In the meantime, I can safely recommend this Hardware.

Overall, I have found it does work very well indeed (so far) and I am quite pleased with it. I can safely recommend this external Blu-Ray writer.

High Treason
High Treason

4.0 out of 5 stars A British Golden Oldie Worth A View., 5 Oct. 2015
This review is from: High Treason (DVD)
I have not seen this film before and being a movie buff, particularly where the golden oldies of British cinema is concerned, I was more than tempted to give this a try. The story concerns a plot by anarchists (presumably Communist agents) who are bent on bringing London to its knees by destroying Battersea Power Station, and the local Police and Security services who are fighting to prevent the disaster. The story is pacey, has many exciting moments, ending with a shoot out at the Power Station. One of the things I enjoyed about watching this film is "Spotting The Face." There are so many actors in this, some who were uncredited, who became household names in later years. Alfie Bass; Harry Fowler; Jean Anderson; Marianne Stone; and of course, the stars themselves, Anthony Bushell; Andre Morell; Liam Redmond and Joan Hickson, ably supported by Kenneth Griffth who played a leading role in this drama.

Although it has a dated look, it is still very entertaining, and it is good to see London how it used to be years ago when the flow of traffic was much less, and overall, seemed less crowded. Worth a look.

Ups And Downs Of A Handyman
Ups And Downs Of A Handyman

3.0 out of 5 stars A Throwback to TV Shows of the '70s., 7 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Ups And Downs Of A Handyman (DVD)
I used to watch films of this type at my local cinema during the '70s, and remember finding them mildly amusing. Since I had not seen this particular film before, I decided to give it a try. Not a classic by any means, but entertaining in parts. It shows some scenes reminiscent of what Benny Hill used to get away with in his TV comedy series which were very popular at the time. Towards the end of this film, a speeded up chase, which Benny Hill and co. were so good at all those years ago, created a few laughs, and good memories too of those TV shows.. I viewed it as an alright film, just to while away 80 minutes or so when there was nothing worth viewing on the Box. Don't be too critical, just sit back and enjoy it.

Sea Wolf
Sea Wolf

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing and Confusing Effort, 2 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Sea Wolf (DVD)
I was expecting quite a bit from this film, bearing in mind I like a good mystery. After an opening plodding 40 minutes or so (believe me, the opening is terribly dull) it seemed to settle down somewhat, and an atmosphere started to build up then. But, after a bit more viewing, I realised that it was becoming such a disappointment. The acting was poor, the storyline was too laboured, it was confusing at times; although it did pick up a little when the conflict between the two subs began to emerge. And to make matters worse, watching this in 7:1 surround sound, the sound itself was appalling. The dialogue became inaudible due to the music being louder along with the sound effects. And there were no subtitles!!!

In a way I was relieved when it ended having struggled throughout to make some sense of it; the ending didn't help either. A disappointment all round.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20