Profile for David White > Reviews

Content by David White

David White (Birmingham UK)

Gautama Buddha: The Life and Teachings of The Awakened One
Gautama Buddha: The Life and Teachings of The Awakened One
by Vishvapani Blomfield

5.0 out of 5 stars The real life of the Buddha, 9 Mar. 2012
I've read a number of different Hagiographies and life stories of the Buddha and this is the best. Vishvapani's book is extensively referenced and stitches together quotes and original source(if there is such a thing for Buddhism) mostly from the Pali canon and creates a comprehensive and very illuminating version of the life of the Buddha. I really found it a compelling read in the way I would read a good novel but it also made me want to go back and look at some of the original texts. If I were to read one "Biography" of the Buddha this is the one I would read.

The Heart Sutra
The Heart Sutra
by Red Pine

5.0 out of 5 stars an arrow to the heart of perfection, 31 Aug. 2010
This review is from: The Heart Sutra (Hardcover)
This book confirmed me as a devotee of the Heart Sutra. I particularly liked that the meaning of each Sanskrit word is discussed at length as are alternative versions of the sutra. Red Pine also goes into the history and background of the Sutra in the light of modern scholarship. I have now re-read the book several times and got new things out of it each time. My only criticism is that I would have liked the book to contain the Sanskrit written out in full with each line juxtaposed with his translation. I have instead had to piece it together myself. This does not stop me wanting to give this five stars.