Profile for L. Hogan > Reviews

Orange Pear Apple Bear
Orange Pear Apple Bear
by Emily Gravett

5.0 out of 5 stars Will leave anyone smiling, 12 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Orange Pear Apple Bear (Hardcover)
This is one of the lovieliest books Ive ever encountered. Only four words go into this whimisical story. The illustrations are loose watercolours that suit the quirky nature of this book perfectly. This is yet another childrens' book that I bought as a gift, but then had to get a copy for myself when i fell in love with it. Children laugh with joy at the simplicity of it and I would reccomend it for anyone who loves beautiful books.

Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs (Viking Kestrel picture books)
Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs (Viking Kestrel picture books)
by Giles Andreae

5.0 out of 5 stars Will get worn out with use!, 16 Nov. 2006
I bought this for my six year old nephew and he absolutly loves it. How can you go wrong? Pirates AND Dinosaurs! The illustrations are great, full of gorgeous colour and detail and the rythum of the text ensures it is great fun to read. I had to go and buy a copy for myself when I saw how much my nephew was enjoying it and my sister has since told me that she has given it as a presant on several occasions and it has always been a great hit.

The Planets
The Planets
by Dava Sobel

5.0 out of 5 stars Affectionate look at our neighbours, 16 Nov. 2006
This review is from: The Planets (Paperback)
This is a lovely book. Rather than being a hard core, scientific tome, it is an affectionate and slightly quirky look at our neighbours. Sobel uses a number of literary devices to give us an overview of the history of the solar system. I think reviewers who complain about the chapter that mentions astrology are missing the point slightly! Astrology was regarded as a science for hundreds of years. This book charts the history of the planets, not just from their own perspective, but from ours. So it would be difficult to write such a book without including some reference to astrology. I thought it was nicely and quite playfully done. I notice that there are no references made to the first chapter, which worried me at first, because it tells the story of the formation of the planets in terms of the genesis creation myth. My first thought was "Oh no! Have I wandered into some sort of Intelligent Design book". But I soon realised the Sobel is trying to give the reader a view of how the planets, and our knowledge and perception of them has changed through history, so including a creation myth is a vital part of the story, as this is where some of our earliest ideas about the universe around us came from.

This is an affectionate portrait of the solar system, full of interesting detail and asides. It is a much more personal book that Ms Sobel's previous work and you feel you are getting a closer view of the author herself. I would especially recommend it to people who dont usually read popular science and to fans of more rigourous books. Its a gentle introduction to this type of book and certainly leaves you with the feeling that Ms Sobel is passionate about her subject.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 4, 2009 10:16 AM GMT

PRENATAL YOGA
PRENATAL YOGA
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

4.0 out of 5 stars Well put together but just a bit too short, 2 Nov. 2006
This review is from: PRENATAL YOGA (DVD)
Ive really been enjoying the routine in this DVD. Its well put together and the order of poses is logical and easy to follow. There are two students, one in trimester 2 and one in trimester 3, as well as Shiva Rea, so no matter what stage of your pregnancy you are at you can do the routine. Ive been doing it about three times a week now since I found out I was pregnant, and I really feel my legs getting stronger and my flexability increasing (although that may just be the hormones!) I would definetly reccomend this DVD if you have done some yoga before. If you havent it might be best to go to a few classes first, so you get an idea of how the poses are supposed to feel so you dont over do things. I give four stars because it's just a little too short. This does make it easy to fit the routine into your day and if you feel you need a bit more you can always repeat one of the sections, which is what I tend to do. I would also like to have seen a section on how to use yoga and breathing through labour.

Im glad I bought it and will be using this routine throught my pregnancy.

The Magicians' Guild: Book 1 of the Black Magician (Black Magician Trilogy)
The Magicians' Guild: Book 1 of the Black Magician (Black Magician Trilogy)
by Trudi Canavan

3.0 out of 5 stars One Dimensional, 12 Oct. 2006
This is certainly an enjoyable read but it lacks depth and character development. The dialogue is woefully laboured sometimes. I havent read the entire trilogy but Ive got the feeling that the whole thing could quite easily have been told in a single book instead of three. There is quite a lot of padding here and the ending is all too convienient! Its all a bit boring! That said, who says that every book we read has to have some deep other meaning with intricate characterisations and sparkling dialogue? Sometimes its fun to read something you don't have to work too hard at. If you can borrow this book from someone and need something to read, then go ahead but dont buy it full price! There are too many other excellent authors out there to spend your money on.

Small-Minded Giants
Small-Minded Giants
by Oisin McGann

4.0 out of 5 stars Big themes in a claustrophobic setting, 9 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Small-Minded Giants (Paperback)
This is not a book for younger kids! There is some quite graphic violence that may not be suitable for younger readers. Dont let that put you off though! There is a great story here.

One one level it is the story of a young man looking for his father who has disappered after an industrial accident. On another, the claustrophobic Ash Harbour makes a great metaphor for our own world. Isolated and fragile with a failing Heart, it is run by large corporations desperate to hold onto power and profit. They will take any action necessary to ensure the smooth running of The Machine, including murder, kidnapping and torture. But we learn that the real power in Ash Harbour comes from the ordinary people and that just one person making a stand can make a difference. The main character, Sol, is very well realised. McGann's depiction of the 16 year old loner is spot on. Even if you have no interest in environmental issues, this is an engaging thriller. The Fast-paced and atmospheric it leads to a thrilling climax that will keep any reader on the edge of their seats.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2016 10:08 PM GMT

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
by Malcolm Gladwell

3.0 out of 5 stars Blink again, again and again, 4 Oct. 2006
It's been said before and I'll say it again: interesting but repetitive. And perhaps lacking in depth. Im not a phsycologist but I do have a scientific background and I found the text very basic. The anecdotes illustrate the point Mr Gladwell wants to make, but he doesnt really offer an explanation for how these snap judgements work, or even why we should be able to make them. The book is basically a collection of examples of the phenomenon rather than an exploration of it. That said, Mr Gladwell's prose is clear and easily read. It's a book for any reader who is interested in the world around them and how we interact with it, and would certainly keep you interested enough during a long flight or train journey. On the basis of this book I would probably read Mr Gladwell's other bestseller, "The Tipping Point", but only if I could borrow it from someone.

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian (Penguin Essentials)
A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian (Penguin Essentials)
by Marina Lewycka

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit underwhelming, 2 Oct. 2006
The blurb and all the hype would lead you to believe that this is a laugh-out-load pager-turner of a book. Im not so sure. The comedy switches between being quite subtle and very very dark to slapstick, almost clownish. The characters are more charactures and fairly one dimensional. The thing that did stand out for me was the dialogue. The nuances and turns of phrase were spot-on and help delevlop the charaters more than any other feature of the narrative. I must have connected with the characters on some level though, as I found Nikolai, the cause of all the trouble in the first place, frustrating, sad and endearing at various times throughout the book.

The story is an easy read. You won't be sitting up nights to finish it but it will help pass several enjoyable, if untaxing hours. It is certainly quite different from a lot of other books out there at the moment and I would probably read another book by this author.

One Big Damn Puzzler
One Big Damn Puzzler
by John Harding

4.0 out of 5 stars Poignant and heart warming, 14 Sept. 2006
This review is from: One Big Damn Puzzler (Paperback)
As soon as William Hardt lands on the beautiful pacific island, determined to right all the wrongs of his countrymen, you know how things will end up for the natives. It's a bittersweet tale that left me smiling but also sad. Its a book that will make you laugh out loud. The characters are very well realised and the islanders pidgin dialect is infectious! This is a lovely book to read if you have a long journey ahead of you as it sucks you right in and you never get bored. Its an easy read the gives you something to think about - the arrogance of western civilisation, the americanisation of the globe, death, life, love and the importance of a nice pair of green sling back shoes!

The White Darkness
The White Darkness
by Geraldine McCaughrean

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging and beautiful, 12 Sept. 2006
This review is from: The White Darkness (Paperback)
This book can be read on so many levels and no matter what you look for in a story you'll find somethig here for you. Its a story of adventure and redemption, a love story, a study of madness and human nature. Recommended for all readers, young and old, male and female!
I found the characters had great depth to them, in particular Sym and her very mad uncle. There is a malevolence and menace to the uncle that gradually comes to the surface. When you finally do see the extent of his insanity it is terrifying.
Sym's descriptions of the Antartic are vivid and questioning...why does nature go to all the trouble of being so beautiful when no one is there to see it? She is a likable character, realistically awkward and ugly-duckling like, refreshing in her naiviety.
Give this book a try. You wont be disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6