Profile for Susan Garven > Reviews

Pilot
Pilot
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 Mar. 2014
Great pilot, it was very exciting and happily confusing. Please make more episodes, I'm on the edge of my seat.

The Rabbit Back Literature Society (C-Format Trade Paperback)
The Rabbit Back Literature Society (C-Format Trade Paperback)
by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant magical realism Finnish novel, 29 Dec. 2013
This book deserves much more glowing reviews, so here goes. This is a wonderful novel about is about literature, books, the Game, mythology and snow. It starts with aspiring author Ella Milana, who has lovely curving lips and defective ovaries. She is invited to join exclusive writers club, the Rabbit Back Literature Society, where she meets the other members, and plays the Game with them to find out their biggest secrets. In the meantime, Laura White, founder of the RBLS has vanished, and who was she anyway? Laura's novels about Creatureville are so popular people make mythological statues based on the characters, and mythological mapping.

Well, it does all make sense, in a surreal Finnish magical realism sense. And it's wonderful, give it a go.

The Emergence of Judy Taylor
The Emergence of Judy Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 8 Sept. 2013
I never leave reviews but this is a brilliant week written novel. I really enjoyed reading the story of Judy's journey. The authors prose style is engaging and beautiful. It manages to pull off being a novel about modern women's life but more fulfilling than regular chick lit. Actually I am a bit sad that I didn't write this novel myself.

Into the Darkest Corner
Into the Darkest Corner

5.0 out of 5 stars Tense briliant thriller, 29 July 2011
This is a brilliant tense exciting novel, I was completely immersed in it! It's a facsinating and terrifying window into abusive relationships. The author writes in an interesting narrative style, one narration being the character before and the other the same character 3 years later. I can't recommend this book enough, and I'm not a huge crime reader, it's more a general fiction novel I think, focused on abuse and control, and mental health.

The Best Day of Someone Else's Life
The Best Day of Someone Else's Life
by Kerry Reichs

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it!, 25 July 2011
Great clever chick lit. Couldn't put it down. Usually read British chick lit, so really interesting to read American book, and thought it was much better than expected.

Meet Me At The Cupcake Café
Meet Me At The Cupcake Café
by Jenny Colgan

5.0 out of 5 stars Great chick lit, 25 April 2011
I was really in the mood for something fulfilling, happy, easy to read, and something I could get hooked on. This was brilliant! I really enjoyed all the chick lit moments. I was on the edge of my seat when she fell for bad boyfriend (tm).

However, I tried the lemon cake recipe, which sounded lovely, but was a big old messing disaster! I bake a lot, but this was a bad recipe, so I won't be trying any other recipes, although the recipes through the book is a cute idea!

Silky Little Knits: Luxurious Designs and Accessories in Mohair-Silk Yarns
Silky Little Knits: Luxurious Designs and Accessories in Mohair-Silk Yarns
by Alison Crowther-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars same as other book, 28 Feb. 2010
I haven't bought this book, but looking on the internet, it seems to be the same pattern's as the authors previous book, Little Luxury Knits. Maybe there's more added content, but it seems crazy to sell a differently titled book with the exact same patterns without making it clear. Just wanted to let you know, in case you're hoping this will be new patterns.

I've given it five stars anyway, cos I'm knitting from Little Luxury Knits right now, and I love it. And actually I hope that this new re-titled edition has a bit more knitting advice, I had to look up some terms when knitting from it.

The Ingenious Edgar Jones
The Ingenious Edgar Jones
by Elizabeth Garner

2.0 out of 5 stars Good start, shame about the ending, 8 May 2009
I loved this start of this book, some of the other reviewers have mentioned it too them a while to get into it, but I thought it was brilliant, and was hooked from the start. However, I found the ending deeply unfulfilling and frustrating. In fact, I sort of wish I hadn't bothered reading it the ending was so bad. I feel a bit cheated since I really enjoyed the start.