Profile for hammarbytp > Reviews

Photographing the Peak District: A Photo Location and Visitor Guidebook
Photographing the Peak District: A Photo Location and Visitor Guidebook
by Chris Gilbert

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide, great photography book, 31 Aug. 2017
I got a pre-order (nice surprise that it was signed by the author). This is about a comprehensive guide to photographing the peak district as you can get. It is well laid out, with some great images and covers not only the main areas such as dove dale, but lesser known corners. It is not only a great guide on photography, but also makes a great guide book of the peaks as well. .

I have walked the peaks for over 30 years, but this book gave me areas I had never even considered going to.

My only complaint is that it lays bare some secret nooks which I hoped to have for myself, but selfishness aside, if you are taking your camera to the peaks, you need this book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2017 9:58 AM BST

Social Architecture: Building On-line Communities
Social Architecture: Building On-line Communities

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, maybe an important one too., 7 Aug. 2016
Pieter Hintjens should know a bit about online communities, have setup the zeroMQ community. I bought the book because I have has a long standing interest in how to use social networking in a workplace for a number of years with a number of failed experiments to my name. This book turned out not to be exactly about that, but more on how to manage and promote open source projects, but nevertheless was a fascinating read. This was helped in no small way by Pieter writing style. Anyone who has read hos zeroMQ book will know what I mean, in that he makes quite dull technical subjects entertaining and engaging.

Because I work for Big Corp I know a number of the ideas in this book would not be possible to do in my environment, but he gave me a number of good ideas to try and a number of the failings of teams and projects were especially true. I cannot wait to try suggesting SOD as a suggested paradigm to my managers.

It would not be Pieter if I did not disagree with some of his opinions, and some his suggestions seemed too idealistic for me, but this book is definitely worth reading. You may not like all he says in it, but you won't be bored while doing it and in the end it may well give you ideas on how to improve the way you manage and write software

Exploring Raspberry Pi
Exploring Raspberry Pi
by Derek Molloy

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this Book!, 11 July 2016
This review is from: Exploring Raspberry Pi (Paperback)
If you are interested in Linux, simple electronics then I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It will take you from simple beginnings in Linux to sophisticated embedded control. Although it uses the Raspberry Pi as an example, the techniques can be applied to virtually any linux development. If you have a Pi and are wondering what to do with it, get this book. You will not be disappointed

Sony DSCWX200 Digital Compact Camera with Wi-Fi - Silver (18MP, 10x Zoom) (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good camera for the money, 3 Sept. 2014
A good simple camera with good sensor and an adequate lens. Good value. See http://photographyformortals.blogspot.com/2014/09/a-new-arrival.html for a more extensive review

Interpet LED Lighting System - Single Bright White 36cm
Interpet LED Lighting System - Single Bright White 36cm

5.0 out of 5 stars New for Old, 27 July 2014
After our florescent tropical tank light failed, we were set a problem. Buy a new tank hood(difficult weird shaped tank), a new florescent light and have problems fitting it or try this. I'm glad we went with this.

Compared to the old florescent it is tiny and I was seriously worried whether it would produce enough light for our 60L tank. No problems, the light is as bright as the old unit and the tank looks great.

My only criticism was fitting it. The stickers and suckers were never going to be suitable so in the end I drove the supplied screws through the tank hood plastic. But that was a 5 minute job.

Tank now looks great, and less energy too!

Churchill's Bomb
Churchill's Bomb

3.0 out of 5 stars Good with Caveats..., 21 July 2014
This review is from: Churchill's Bomb (Kindle Edition)
I had greatly enjoyed "The Hidden Life of Paul Dirac" by the same author, so was looking forward to this book as well. In many ways it covers the same type of period, however instead of documenting the golden age of quantum physics through the eyes of one talented scientist, it looks at the staggering progress in atomic physics from the 1st probings of the atomic nucleus to the development and use of the atomic bomb and the ramifications of that use after the 2nd world war.

Calling it Churchill's bomb however is a bit of a misnomer. While Churchill does figure prominently throughout the book, the real story is about the scientists like James Chadwick who made the advances toward the use of fission energy. In fact sometimes I felt the books title had been hoisted on to it to ensare those with little interest in physics, but were fans of Churchill. Certainly, it is not till the book moves on to post-war atomic politics that Churchill plays a more prominent role.

I was also a bit wary of the authors portrayal of Churchill's scientific adviser, Professor Lindemann. Often he comes out as a like a cartoon villain, forever hindering those around him who did not agree with his views. I also think the author is a little harsh on his abilities as a scientist. While not an Einstein or a Bohr, was certainly no intellectual dullard and a 1st class physicist.

I must admit that I had already met Professor Lindemann in another book, the excellent " Winston Churchill's Toyshop" by Stuart Macrae. In this 1st hand account of the activities one of Britain's most prolific wartime development lab, he explains that without Lindemann and his direct access to Churchill, the organisation would of been continually curtailed by the Ministry of Supply. In fact if there were any villains of the piece it would be the petty bureaucrats at the MoS who also managed to curtail post war bomb development. It is also amazing to see, that even during a time of national crisis, that peoples personalities would often override the nations need.

But my biggest criticism is that the book falls in a familiar trap of such books of relying on hindsight when judging history. One of the authors criticisms of Professor Lindemann and Churchill was that they failed to foresee the successful realisation of the development of an atomic bomb and did not put enough priority on it. Today, looking over the ruins of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, this seems foolish. However at the time they were not alone and it is fortunate that scientists in both Germany, Russia and Japan lacked the same foresight. In fact it could be argued that only America, with its vast industrial resources, largely untouched by war could afford to take the huge gamble and attempt to develop the devices since only they could afford the economic cost of failure. Once developed the weapon, it is unlikely that the USA would of been any more willing to share control and information with their allies.

In it's defence, the book does gallop along nicely, effortlessly flipping from character to character. I also learned a lot about the post war British atomic politics. For example I was unaware that Churchill to the last was attempting to get both Russia and the USA to agree to nuclear disarmament talks, something that would have to wait until the McCarthyism and the Cold War tensions reduced.

However I just feel that I would of liked to know more about some of the roles of the British Nuclear scientists and less of the petty bickering within governments.

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August

5.0 out of 5 stars Have you ever wanted to live your life again?, 24 April 2014
I guess everyone at some point in their life wonders what they would do differently if they could have there life again. Harry August has that ability. Once he dies he is reborn again to the same parents ,at the same time, in the same location with all his memories intact. Not only that but he is not alone in this ability, with others who share the same talent, endlessly reliving their lives. However something is happening in the future. Someone in his time is causing the world to end and only Harry can stop it.

Many people have compared this to groundhog day. However it does not do the book justice, since as good a film as groundhog was, it does not take in the sweep of historical events and locations that this book does. A better comparison is Stephen Kings 11/22/63 which covers some of the same ground of repeatedly trying to fix a event by reliving the time.

However the best comparison is Ian Bank's Transition. In fact the way the author skillfully weaves multiple timelines into a consistent whole reminds me greatly of the late Mr Banks and for me there can be no greater recommendation or compliment

Mikado Lu Milk Chocolate Sticks, 75g
Mikado Lu Milk Chocolate Sticks, 75g
Offered by TTS The Online Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 15 Mar. 2014
Good polariser and a good price. I love the skies that polarisers give you and this seems to do everything I ask of it.

OSKAR EMIL ROSEWOOD WATCH BOX
OSKAR EMIL ROSEWOOD WATCH BOX

5.0 out of 5 stars Great box for money., 15 Mar. 2014
Needed a box for a watch for a present. Box looks great, in fact better than the watch so very happy

TOSHIBA SATELLITE C660 15.6" LED LAPTOP SCREEN
TOSHIBA SATELLITE C660 15.6" LED LAPTOP SCREEN
Offered by Wikiparts

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my daughters laptop, 15 Mar. 2014
Daughter smashed the screen on her laptop. Before splashing out on a new machine thought I would give this ago. After a bit of fiddling the screen worked perfectly and saved me £300

Page: 1 | 2 | 3