Profile for Richard FT > Reviews

Matt Monro: The Singers Singer
Matt Monro: The Singers Singer
by Michele Monro

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly the Singer's Singer, 20 Feb. 2016
Having been a fairly recent in discovering the joy of Matt Monro’s singing, I was eager to learn more about the man behind the voice. A search on Amazon brought up the book “The Singer’s Singer” by Mr Monro’s daughter Michele, it was at a great price and I ordered it.

When it arrived I was taken by how large it was, but any fears of it being long-winded soon faded. The book starts with a foreword from Ms Monro describing Mr Monro’s last days on Earth. It is deeply personal and gut wrenchingly sad. The emotion and helplessness of the situation that Ms Monro conveys in the foreword will be recognised very starkly by anyone who has watched a loved one wither away and die. Having lost someone very close to cancer a year before reading this book, it brought that pain and despair to me once more, and I cried and cried before I got to the first chapter.

The book is packed with chronologically ordered stories, anecdotes, family photographs and letters from family, friends and professional colleagues, detailing Mr Monro’s rise to fame and success. There are also lots of letters from Mr Monro to his wife and children, these correspondences really help bring the man to life in the mind of the reader, he was so unaffected by the fame that his remarkable voice brought him.

I learned that his success and fame was somewhat curtailed by poor management at a critical stage of his career, and ultimately, by his untimely death at the age of 54. Many music critics have long argued that Matt Monro was one of the most underrated popular singers of all time, a great shame, as there are so many more well-known singers with not half the talent he possessed.

I didn’t think that there was one unnecessary page out of the 786 pages in the book. I now enjoy listening to Matt Monro in a slightly different way, as I feel I know something of him as a person. Unlike many biographies of famous people, this book never dwells on any sordid excess, (although Ms Monro is quite candid in talking about her father’s alcohol addiction). Instead it paints a colourful and interesting picture of a supremely talented singer, indeed, truly the Singer’s Singer, who was a family man at heart.

If you are interested in Matt Monro in any way, shape or form, then should buy and read this book. I thank Michele Monro for writing it and sharing the story with us.

Tiger Orchestral Music Stand Bag - Heavy Duty Carry Case
Tiger Orchestral Music Stand Bag - Heavy Duty Carry Case

3.0 out of 5 stars Tiger Orchestral Music Stand Bag, 13 Jun. 2015
Not very impressed. Maybe my one was faulty, but the inner pocket that is supposed to take the fold up stand is too small so I have to just put it in the bag with the flat part. Also the rubberised lining if the bag has already been shredded by the sharp edges of the stand head. There is also some dodgy stitching. It works as a bag and hopefully will be strong enough to last a while, but over all it is little better than the "bag for life" supermarket shopping bag I was using prior to purchasing this bag.

Gator Cases E11 Speaker Stand Cover
Gator Cases E11 Speaker Stand Cover
Offered by Absolute Music Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Stand Bag, 28 Feb. 2015
The bag arrived promptly and does the job fine, it won't offer any impact protection as there is no padding, but I only wanted it for carrying stands. And for the money it is great!

Tiger Orchestral Music Stand - Fully Adjustable Sheet Music Stand in Black
Tiger Orchestral Music Stand - Fully Adjustable Sheet Music Stand in Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiger Music Stand, 22 Jan. 2015
I use it as a stand for an iPad and small mixer for a solo act and it is perfect. It seems very sturdy and secure and so far had done the job very well

Puccini: Tosca [Royal Opera House, 2011] - Gheorghiu, Kaufmann, Terfel [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Angela Gheorghiu

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Production, 7 Jun. 2013
I was lucky enough to have seen this production at the Royal Opera with Gheorghiu and Terfel, it was stunning. But what you can't fully get from a live performance, is seeing the expressions on Terfel's face, he is a remarkable actor as well as a wonderful singer. Jonas Kauffman I find is a bit of an acquired taste but it is still a great performance of a masterpiece of opera.

Blackadder Goes Forth (Remastered) [DVD] [1989]
Blackadder Goes Forth (Remastered) [DVD] [1989]
Dvd ~ Rowan Atkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic comedy, 7 Jun. 2013
I had forgotten just how great this is, having bought the other Blackadder DVD's I missed this one out, glad I got it now!

Clockwork Angels
Clockwork Angels
Offered by musicMagpie

5.0 out of 5 stars Clockwork Angels, 20 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Clockwork Angels (Audio CD)
With this album Rush have managed to re-visit their older styles and sounds without sounding "old and dated". There are some great songs and as expected some great playing.

Geddy Lee's bass sound is awesome, the last few of their more recent albums I found his sound was getting very toppy, but the sound of his bass on some of the tracks on Clockwork Angels really take me back to the early Rush sound, but it still sounds new at the same time!

Longtime Rush fans will love this album I'm sure, I have been into Rush since 1981, and this is my favourite of their albums of the 00's.

Dunlop Way Huge Pork Loin Soft Clip Injection Overdrive Pedal
Dunlop Way Huge Pork Loin Soft Clip Injection Overdrive Pedal

5.0 out of 5 stars Pork Loin, 20 Nov. 2012
I bought this pedal after reading lots of positive reviews about it on the web. And the reviews were right. I am using this for bass and I was looking for an "always on" overdrive pedal just to give my sound a bit of grit and bite, and just other reviewers said, this pedal can be used to add a very subtle amount of tubey sounding overdrive, or you can turn up the drive to get a really overdriven sound but it never goes into fizzy buzz-saw kind of distortions that so many pedals do.

Another great advantage of this pedal is the internal trim pots that can be used to further tailor the sound. I am really enjoying using it so far, and the price I paid was a good £30 odd cheaper than a lot of other online dealers I looked at.

Tavares - The Greatest Hits
Tavares - The Greatest Hits

4.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 2 Dec. 2008
A great collection of timeless evergreen classics, from the days when singers relied on singing ability and not studio technology to sound good!

I love all the tracks on here, but was really disappointed to find that what is arguably Tavares best known song, "Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel" is not included. Well at least the original isn't included, what is offered in its place is perhaps one of the most dreadful, tacky 80's re-mixes I have heard. It sounded like Stock, Aitken and Waterman's collective mothers had been let loose in the studio!!!

I would love to know who makes the decision to include this kind of garbage on an otherwise great collection. Re-mixes are usually added to albums as bonus tracks, not replacements for the original. I still love the rest of the music though, but shame on EMI Gold for this travesty of taste!!!

My Secret Passion (The Arias)
My Secret Passion (The Arias)
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Criminal!, 22 July 2007
This is absolutely revolting, there should be a law against this sort of thing. Why on Earth anyone would want to listen to a "singer" like Michael Bolton is beyond me, each to their own, but to hear him slaughtering these arias is awful. He should have kept his "Secret Passion" exactly that - secret.

Maybe we can look forward to an album of Placido Domingo singing the hits Michael Bolton..?!