Profile for mtkent > Reviews

mtkent (Sevenoaks)

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Pay, Play & Display, 14 Jan. 2012
Let's start with the price. Yes, I suppose they are a bit expensive for what they are but I've been wanting something like this for eons and never got off my fat derriere to do anything about it. Therefore, if I wanted something cheaper I should have come up with the prototype myself instead of waiting for someone else to design and deliver it for me. If you want it, you'll pay for it and let's face it, if you took your prized album down to your nearest framer you wouldn't be getting what you wanted for much less if indeed less it would be.

That off my chest, I think these look utterly resplendent on my white living room walls. They are easily attached to the wall using one screw or one large headed nail. The screws I employed for the job were Homebase's Self Tapping Screws 4x16mm No.8x5/8. It really couldn't be simpler. The job of attaching all three to my wall in a pleasing equidistant horizontal row was but the work of an instant.

My Eight Legged Groove Machine now resides contentedly between Screamadelica and Cure For Sanity but tomorrow it may be The Sun Is Often Out, Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me and Nowhere. The possibilities are endless. Just don't put anything in them by Mumford & Sons because people will think, quite rightly, that you are a bourgeouis wannabe t*sser and your house price will probably plummet.

L.A. Noire (PS3)
L.A. Noire (PS3)
Offered by Revolution Media

3.0 out of 5 stars I WANT BOARS or Bonnie Parker at least., 26 May 2011
This review is from: L.A. Noire (PS3) (Video Game)
This game is good but no more than that. Perhaps I am being somewhat premature as I am only up to the "Manifest Destiny" case but I can't imagine what more this game is going to give me. To be honest the prospect of locating another 39 film reels is not inspiring me one jot. Had they stuck a toxic boar or some malignant bear in there for me to locate I would have been as happy as Larry.

The style is undoubtedly there for all to see. It is assuredly a breakthrough game in terms of MotionScan but the makers have been so preoccupied in moving gaming technology forward (and they must be commended for this) that they have singularly failed to incorporate this within a game that warrants anything but passing attention.

I think this game would also have benefited greatly from being set 13-14 years earlier during the great Depression crime era. I would have enjoyed chasing after the likes of Bonnie & Clyde, Baby Face Nelson, Dillinger and the Barker-Karpis gang. Opportunity missed I feel.

This is a long way from being the game by which all others must now be judged. Red Dead Redemption unleashed the shackles, even more so that GTAIV in my opinion, but LA Noire, to some extent, sees them back on again. Very disappointed given the unbridled hype.

Sidetracked: Kurt Wallander
Sidetracked: Kurt Wallander
by Henning Mankell

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite sure, 15 Aug. 2010
What I find interesting when reading reviews of Mankell is that the more gruesome and deplorable the crime is, the more stars it receives!

I have seen the characterisation mentioned in other reviews but in all honesty I learned nothing new about the main protagonists involved within the investigation, which is surprising given the book's length. This book does, however, see an unwelcome return to the endless references to laborious police procedure, drinking of much coffee and completely unprovoked "hunches".

As enjoyable as it sometimes was I can't help shake off the overriding feeling that Wallander & co could have cleared this horrible mess up 150 pages earlier.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy)
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy)
by Stieg Larsson

3.0 out of 5 stars OK buts that's it., 9 May 2010
If you have read the Wallander books then you will soon discover that Henning Mankell is infinitely better at his art than Stieg Larsson was. There is nothing original in this book and Mankell has indeed previously covered some of the avenues travelled down by Larsson. Having said that, Larsson's prose is adequate enough to keep you entertained although I can't help feeling that this book could and should have reached its denouement at least a 100 pages before it actually does.

Crazy Horse And Custer: The Epic Clash of Two Great Warriors at the Little Bighorn: The Parallel Lives of Two American Warriors
by Stephen E. Ambrose

5.0 out of 5 stars A very engaging book, 17 Jan. 2010
If you want an in depth account of the Fetterman disaster or the battle of the Little Bighorn then this book will not be to your requirements.

Instead, as the title suggests this book follows the parellel lives of the two great protagonists of the Indian Wars. I enjoyed how the author highlighted how, in so many respects, these two men were so similar despite the divides that kept them apart until that fateful day in 1876.

As someone new to this subject I was amazed at how many of my own preconceived ideas on this subject matter have been so wide of the mark and I have come away wanting to know so much more about this period of US history.

As if by Magic
As if by Magic
by Dolores Gordon-Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings., 30 July 2009
This review is from: As if by Magic (Hardcover)
From a personal perspective this, the third book in the series, is my least favourite but it is still nonetheless a very entertaining read. We move away from Hesperus this time, which was required otherwise no one would have remained alive there ala Midsomer! I enjoyed, very much, the journey but for me the denouement didn't really sit that well and in particular why Jack's war comrade George Lassiter was only able to recognise one of a party of three at the house he enters (you'll see what I mean when you read it). It lacks the number of characters that Agatha's novels possessed (even when there were only four possibles in Cards On The Table you were still never certain) and a lot of the possibles always seem to die leaving not very many from which to choose. Unfortuantely I seemed to work out "whodunnit" quite some way from the end so I didn't have the enjoyment of a twist, so perhaps that's why I didn't like it half as much as the first two novels and in particular the first.

Picnic At Hanging Rock
Picnic At Hanging Rock
by Joan Lindsay

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to end all books, 3 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Picnic At Hanging Rock (Paperback)
I find in quite surprising and mildly annoying that one reviewer has seen fit to suggest that the film is greater than the book. This simply is not the case. The two co-exist perfectly well, indeed they compliment one another. One must remember that without Joan Lindsay the film would not have happened and without her almost utopian prose the adaptation would not have had the almost ethereal, dreamlike quality which governed its success.

Too may reviews contain a synopsis but I wish to convey how wonderfully descriptive this work is without ever being laborious in stark contrast perhaps to some of Joan Lindsay's contemporaries such as Ian McEwan. I could smell the sweet scent of the flowers, I perspired in the oppressive heat and I felt the dappled sunlight piercing through the trees on my face. I lived this book more so than any other book I have read.

The decision, made at the time of publishing, to omit the final Chapter 18 was inspired. Having read the denouemont this book would not have been the masterpiece it so richly deserves to be. I never wanted this book to end and I shall return to it again and again. The Australian summer of 1900 will stay with me forever.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2011 12:14 PM BST

Hell Riders: The Truth About the Charge of the Light Brigade
Hell Riders: The Truth About the Charge of the Light Brigade
by Terry Brighton

5.0 out of 5 stars A galloping masterpiece, 4 Nov. 2007
Wonderful. A book that rattles along like a galloping thoroughbred. Mr Brighton stand up and take a bow.

The true mark of a great historical account is to whet the reader's appetite, to make them crave further knowledge. This book has done that and more. It is simply "unputdownable" so much so that I lost weight....it was the cause of me missing dinner!

Having gone on to read The Charge and The Reason Why this stands head and shoulders above these two works for the text and the eyewitness accounts are perfectly juxtaposed to leave the reader with the feeling that they are pounding down the North Valley with the likes of Wightman and Pennington.

Thank you Mr Brighton.

The Homicidal Earl: Lord Cardigan: Life of Lord Cardigan
The Homicidal Earl: Lord Cardigan: Life of Lord Cardigan
by Saul David

1.0 out of 5 stars The assassinator......, 4 Nov. 2007
Perhaps in light of yet another work by Mr David in which he scathingly assassinates a historical figure it would appear that Mr David's work on James Brudenell is deserving of the same fate.

Mr David loves an easy target but as with his work Zulu (and I have it on sound authority from one of the leading historians on that subject that Mr David blatantly didn't know his way around the battlefield of Isandlwana when BBC filmed their Timewatch programme based on his "research") he has only reiterated what more accomplished historians have already told us, only with more vitriol. Indeed so slipshod was his research for the book Zulu that one is surprised to see this book in the historical section rather than that of comedy.

Messrs, Woodham-Smith, Adkin and Brighton tell a much more interesting story than David and I really would urge you not to waste your money on anything by this "historian".
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2013 7:47 PM BST

Ride With The Devil [DVD] [1999]
Ride With The Devil [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Tobey Maguire
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but could do better, 27 Jun. 2007
Having read the reviews I was expecting a tough, gritty film dealing with relationships and the harsh realities of war. Tough and gritty it was not but then again we were spoilt by The Proposition on that score. Toby Maguire merely meanders through this film, Ulrich is a TV actor at best, Jewell is a singer (enough said) and in Jeffrey Wright they casted a man who deserved much superior dialogue and the "I'm gonna find my ma" stereotype has been done endless times previously and with much greater success. This film is decidedly average.

Page: 1 | 2