Profile for Richard > Reviews

Content by Richard

Richard

Grip-It Assorted Plasterboard Fixings - (32 Pieces)
Grip-It Assorted Plasterboard Fixings - (32 Pieces)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for plasterboard walls in new-build homes, 27 Dec. 2014
This is the only product that has worked convincingly in the plasterboard walls of our new-build house.

We were fed up with curtain poles falling down and not being able to fix anything heavy to our walls, and then I found these. They're absolutely ideal if, like us, you've found yourself in a newly-built house with plasterboard walls. Admittedly, they're expensive, but well worth the money knowing that you won't be worrying about refitting your curtain pole every six months.

Battery Operated Water Pump (482)-transfer Any Liquid In Minutes. Remove Flood Water.
Offered by MEDICO

1.0 out of 5 stars Really useless, 27 July 2014
Absolutely terrible, broke after just two uses - the switch just completely seized up. Batteries needed replacing after just first use. Would not recommend.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Good in principle, but needs refinement, 12 Mar. 2014
The principle of this system is definitely fantastic, and there is nothing else similar on the market that can offer the wealth of information and customisation as this product can.

BUT...

All of that is useless if the data being recorded is inaccurate in the first place. I am now on my second Chorus PV system, but I am still experiencing very inaccurate import/usage values while generating energy. Generation values all seem to be fairly good, and import values are accurate at night when I am not generating any energy, though as soon as the solar panels kick in, the system seems not be able to deal with it. I've gone through various resets and have been sent a second system, but to no avail. Sadly the system is now just a fancy showpiece which I can use for 'rough' values, but I can't trust it to monitor my use/generation accurately. That said, the system still performs a job which others can't do, so I will keep it for now until something better comes along.

Geo customer support were very helpful, however, and we went through all possible options and problems on the phone together. They sent me a replacement system without quibbling, which I appreciated. I should make clear that the rating is for the product, not for customer service.

Hopefully later versions will improve.

Zoostorm 3305-1111 Play Internet TV Box (1GB DDR RAM, 4GB, Android 4.0)
Zoostorm 3305-1111 Play Internet TV Box (1GB DDR RAM, 4GB, Android 4.0)

3.0 out of 5 stars A good start for the price, but a few little niggles., 7 Jun. 2013
I was hesitant to buy this after looking at the reviews from other purchasers here on Amazon, but I figured that the price was fair and that I could always return it if I had similar problems.

So far, after three days, I am satisfied.

PROS:
- The box is well-built, attractive, and has lots of additional features which other (slightly) cheaper options don't, such as SD card slot, USB ports, LAN port if you don't want to connect wirelessly, and an audio out port.
- It contains a keyboard remote and mains adapter, which most other similar products on Amazon don't, and you have to buy separately, actually making them more expensive overall.
- It comes with lots of things pre-loaded, like Flash Player (which is no longer available on the Google Playstore), so this is a bonus for viewing websites still using Flash.
- Generally, it works well. I haven't tested all of the features yet, but it certainly does the job for the money you pay.
- I bought the box primarily for downloading the App "SVT Play", which allows me to watch Swedish television (like BBC IPlayer in the UK), and for this is does the trick.

CONS:
- Some people here have complained about the lack of a decent manual. Well, I think you HAVE to have had some experience of using Android before getting this device. I have used Android for around 3 years, so I found the whole experience very intuitive, but I can understand how daunting it must be for anyone new to the software.
- Some people have complained about the remote. Yes, it takes some getting used to, but I find it works best when you use the remote square on the the TV/box, and if the box is at the same level as you are using the remote.
- There is some lag, and sometimes videos do not buffer very smoothly. This tends to happen after a few hours of using the device, or when using a wireless connection. Either plug the box directly into your modem, or just switch off for a few minutes and restart.
- A few of the Apps I would like to install aren't available, but that is something I'm used to with Android. Not every App is compatible with every device.

OVERALL:
I am satisfied with the product for the money I paid, and I think with a few tweaks this will be a very useful product.

UPDATE 9 June 2013:
I updated the software this morning as per the instructions in the manual. Now, every 30 seconds or so, I have a box pops up asking for a "registration code"? I will be contacting the support desk on Monday to find out what this is about. Also, I have noticed that the box is starting to give off a very high-pitched "whistle", even though it has no on-board audio output to make such a noise. I have tried moving it away from other objects in case it is interference, but getting increasingly bothered by it now.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2014 1:02 PM GMT

Tinderbox Games Scrabble Score Pad
Tinderbox Games Scrabble Score Pad

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, 7 Dec. 2011
Unfortunately, the image is not representative of the product I received. The image clearly shows a wallet (possibly some sort of leather-type covering) whereas I received a hardback book. The score sheets and pencil are as shown and included, however the cover differs and looks a bit tacky. Overall, unhappy.

Samsung SCX-3205W Black Mono Laser Printer/Scanner/Copier (Wireless,  All-In-One)
Samsung SCX-3205W Black Mono Laser Printer/Scanner/Copier (Wireless, All-In-One)

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice, good-value printer but not without its flaws., 18 Oct. 2011
Overall, I am satisfied with this printer. For the money it has a good build quality and a good set of features. However, the main reason for buying the printer, the wireless function, has been a total nightmare. Essentially, the printer changes its IP address on the wireless network every time it is switched on, or every time the router is switched on. (I am energy concious, so I only ever have the printer or router on when I need them), for this reason, every time I need to use the printer or scanner, I have to go through the palava of guessing which IP address the printer is using on one particular occasion, and get my computer(s) to recognise it again. Very time consuming! I'm hunting around on forums to find a solution to this, but Samsungs help guide and manual are of no help at all.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2011 8:50 PM BST

iTALKonline ProGel WHITE Super Hydro Gel Protective Armour/Case/Skin/Cover/Shell for HTC Cha Cha ChaCha

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice fit, good quality, 7 July 2011
This fits the HTC ChaCha really well. I just have to get used to pushing slightly harder on the power and volume keys to get them to respond (as the case covers these buttons). There's a couple of tiny black flecks that I can't get rid of. I think it's embedded in the case. But it's not a problem. My phone is now protected, at least!

Samsung Galaxy 551 black - i5510 sim-free, unbranded
Samsung Galaxy 551 black - i5510 sim-free, unbranded

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful problem with SMS, 30 Jan. 2011
A phone that looks great on paper, and in practise it works very well too. However, within a few days I noticed that I was getting text messages repeated only from numbers on the o2 network. I contacted both Samsung and my network who both said that it was a known problem both with the Samsung Galaxy Europa AND the Galaxy 551, but unlike the Europa, there was no idea when there would be a patch released to fix the fault. I sent the phone back for a refund. Very disappointing Samsung.

Kingston KVR800D2S6/2G RAM 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL6 SODIMM, 200-Pin, 1.8 V
Kingston KVR800D2S6/2G RAM 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL6 SODIMM, 200-Pin, 1.8 V
Offered by MouaShop

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money and a much improved netbook, 14 Sept. 2010
I bought this on Sunday, and despite selecting the Amazon supersaver delivery, it arrived with me on Tuesday! Great service.
The product has done exactly what I wanted it to do... speed up my netbook. I would recommend this to anyone who has a netbook with 1GB of RAM fitted... it will make a noticeable difference to speed and enjoyment, and all for a relatively good price.
The only thing I didn't like, was the lack of instructions. Only through fitting RAM before did I know that you have to be very careful to make sure that you are 'earthed' so as not to cause a static build up in the machine. There should have been a notice to this effect, hence 4 stars and not 5.