Profile for Robert Chantler > Reviews

TASCAM DR-05 Version 2 Linear PCM Portable Recorder Including 4GB Micro SD Card
TASCAM DR-05 Version 2 Linear PCM Portable Recorder Including 4GB Micro SD Card
Offered by DJWAREHOUSE

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, 11 Sept. 2016
I can see why this is the journalist's best friend - so easy to use - everything where you want it - loads of options re: recording formats and frequency cut offs etc - saves as many files as you want as separate numbers (not only 2 as the spec said). Lovely easy to read display with nice orange backglow and very professional recording quality. Also, so easy to use and to download files - it has to be easy for someone like me to get to grips with. Really good and worth every penny :)

Adar Universal Unisex Drawstring Scrub Set (Available in 39 colors) - 701 - Raspberry - XS
Offered by AZ-SALES

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY GOOD BUT SIZING WAY OUT, 11 Sept. 2016
I ordered XS which was for a 32" chest because I needed a slim waist - I am 36" chest and it fitted comfortably with a little room to spare so was probably a 38" in fact and scrubs aren't meant to hug you anyway - so a great addition to my costume department - promptly delivered, good quality.

The world's finest natural earplugs
The world's finest natural earplugs
Offered by The Surf Depot UK

1.0 out of 5 stars SO DISAPPOINTED - ABSOLUTELY HOPELESS, 10 Sept. 2016
I remembered when I had a wax impaction in one ear how deaf it made me during that time and thought I wonder if there are wax ear plugs - they must be good. Then I found these and apart from a few worrying stories most reviewers seemed happy so I bought a pair. They were totally useless. Having a feeling of wet blu tak in my ears was bad enough but they did not expand once in the ear canal nor could they be shaped to fit inside the area just outside the ear canal where I gather they were meant to sit. They were uncomfortable and hard to get out and I could still everything - including the planes, the noise from which I hoped these would spare me. I could even hear quiet sounds. Glad they were cheap - dreadful things. Now pinning my last hope on some posh ones from Flare Audio - if those fail - well...I don't know.

Body To Dust [DVD]
Body To Dust [DVD]
Dvd ~ Meredith Lane
Offered by TwoRedSevens

4.0 out of 5 stars A PRETTY GOOD ENTRY IN THE GENRE, 28 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Body To Dust [DVD] (DVD)
This is not a bad film, despite what other reviews here might have you believe. It isn't perfect of course but I've seen far worse Indie horror than this.

So what's good - the cinematography was very impressive for the budget -- stylish, a good hue, well lit by slasher film standards, and in terms of production design, the "lair" was suitably credible. They got the balance of overt and off-screen gore about right -- there is a throat slitting scene which is not at all pedestrian -- you'll see when you watch it how well the scene is done -- plus decapitations, eviscerations, and other assorted nastiness, but a lot of the gruesomeness is in your head rather than in your face, Unlike many of these films, we get the gore from the off, and then frequently for the rest of the film, without long and boring "get to know the character" bits when actually you don't really want to know them and what you learn about them doesn't make you care for them any the more. The effects are fair for a film on this sort of budget and generally, the acting seemed fine to me. Whilst I wouldn't want to meet the killer in a dark alley, he's not Jason Voorhees, but compare him to say, Chromeskull, in Laid To Rest, or the killer in the indie horror, Nutbag, and he's a credible enough killer.

Reading this, you might wonder what I deducted the star for. Well, some of the dialogue was dire, and consequently the delivery of it could never be good, and this led to some hammy acting at times, and it was a little hard to always believe the level of fear the killer instilled in the victims.

From the BBFC point of view, it doubtless for an 18 because of the degree of relish the killer gained from the suffering he inflicted and because there was a fair bit of lingering on the suffering and pain of the victims but I would say it would be a mild 18 as they go.

Other points -- nice widescreen transfer, okay soundtrack and perhaps with a bigger budget, a better writer and some better actors, the director could make something even better. He obviously knows the genre and there were plenty of stylistic nods to other films in the genre. Also, at just under 90 minutes it is not too long, which keeps the pace up nicely.

Charlie Bears Cuddly Soft Kennett Koala Teddy Bear 41cm
Charlie Bears Cuddly Soft Kennett Koala Teddy Bear 41cm

5.0 out of 5 stars GORGEOUS BEAR, 12 Feb. 2015
I have been collecting Charlie Bears for years and they are so gorgeous, but this koala is really gorgeous -- lovely face, very soft and cuddly and full of character -- I have bought from Corfe Bears but not this one -- you won't be disappointed with this lovely bear or the service :)

MEMORY FOAM with springs SINGLE 3FT MATTRESS (90CM) WIDTH - LENGTH 6FT3 (190cm) - LUXURY GOLD DAMASK FABRIC- MADE TO UK FIRE REGS
Offered by MR SLEEPS BEDS LIMITED

5.0 out of 5 stars When it arrived all flattened and rolled up in plastic with the springs clearly feelable I thought "this is nothing like as thic, 17 Dec. 2014
This was bought as a present for my guest bedroom -- I had asked for a cheap mattress so wasn't expecting deluxe comfort.

When it arrived all flattened and rolled up in plastic with the springs clearly feelable I thought "this is nothing like as thick as the picture and really rubbish".

BUT it was vacuum packed, and when I slit the end of the plastic and fed the plastic wrap down the mattress, it sprung to life as I did so and was not damaged at all.

It was a perfect fit. I put a 1/2" fleecy mattress cover on it and a sheet and lay on it to test it. I weigh 9 stone and I was very comfortable. I didn't feel a single spring digging into me at all, even though I was expecting to, and in fact, very nearly dozed off while I was testing it out.

Very satisfied personally, and sorry to hear some customers have not had the satisfactory experience I did.

Big School - Series 1 [DVD]
Big School - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Walliams

4.0 out of 5 stars VERY WATCHABLE, OFTEN VERY FUNNY, 28 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Big School - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Beautifully written and perfectly cast, this is a brilliant and very funny sit com, and although it isn't always uniformly funny, when it is, it really is and the rest of the time it's just easy and fun to watch. It would probably have worked better in studio with a live audience but there we are. An excellent actress though Catherine Tate is, I think Frances de la Tour really steals the show as the drink and drug addled headmistress Miss Baron.

Those Dreaded Beads
Those Dreaded Beads
by Dylan Swan

5.0 out of 5 stars A DIFFERENT KIND OF CRIME THRILLER, 11 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Those Dreaded Beads (Paperback)
This book is quite unlike any other psychological thriller or murder mystery currently out there. Dylan Swan tells his tale of paedophile priests and serial killings gently and conversationally, and although you’d think this style of storytelling seems incompatible with the subject matter, it actually draws you in and keeps you reading.

The book concerns Michael O’Connor, a short-tempered and violent man, obsessed with tracking down a priest he believes abused him as a child, and prepared to put his family on the line to do so if necessary. His wife Shona is the real protagonist, determined to find out why her husband is so obsessed with this particular priest, and is driven into the arms of gentle but manly journalist Declan Killey by her husband’s thoughtlessness. Declan is writing articles about paedophile priests, threatening to name and shame them, and their mutual friend Jenny is stirring up her own dissent with her campaign group. While all this is going on, someone is killing the priests on Declan’s list, and so we meet pot-smoking detective Graham Flanagan, who is assigned to the case.

It’s not entirely clear as to whether there is a connection between the abuse Michael suffered and his adult personality, and some of the characters could have been fleshed out a bit more, but they are all rounded enough to be credible and drive the narrative, which by the way moves along quickly. Graham Flanagan, the pot-smoking layabout detective is a lovely character and really the book is probably more about him and his investigation than it is about Michael, Shona or Declan. The dialogue is well written with some nice light touches.

If you’re expecting graphic gore and forensic detail in respect of the murders, you’ll not get that, but the killings are described nastily enough to let you know this is one dangerous killer on the loose, and there are little hints hidden in the story that you only realise were clues once you know who the killer is.

The tone remains consistently folksy throughout, very much Dylan telling you a story, and apart from a bit of swearing and the frenzied finale, it’s a very tame read considering the subject matter. Even the paedophile acts, told in flashback, are conveyed more by suggestion that graphic description. Set against the backdrop of the lovely city of Dublin, this book makes for an easy and pleasant read.

In Sickness & In Health - Series 4 [DVD]
In Sickness & In Health - Series 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Warren Mitchell
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars NOSTALGIC AND VERY FUNNY, 9 Sept. 2014
This was one of the best series of the show after it came back in the early 80s. We'd never see a series like this on TV nowadays, but it is extremely funny and very evocative of an era that perhaps is best forgotten in some respects. The writing is terrific and the performances are perfect -- the scenes on the aeroplane are probably my absolute favourites -- I had tears streaming down my face I was laughing so much. Wonderful stuff. I also got the others too as my old VHS "taped off the TV" copies were very degraded.

Perfect World: Complete Series One And Two [DVD]
Perfect World: Complete Series One And Two [DVD]
Dvd ~ Perfect World

5.0 out of 5 stars A FANTASTIC COMEDY SERIES, 9 Sept. 2014
I guess I'm lucky that I still have the episodes I taped off the TV on VHS tapes, except one which I missed, but the quality is not fantastic now and when I'd originally heard they were coming out on DVD I was thrilled -- this was back in 2009 and still they're not. As with the other reviewers, to 2 Entertain, I say get your act together and get this gem of a comedy series out there. If a big entertainment company can't sort of out copyright arguments a decade after it was on TV there's something very wrong. It can't be that difficult and there'd be fans snapping up copies right left and centre.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4