Profile for Amy > Reviews

Barbapapa
Barbapapa
by Annette Tison
Edition: Album

5.0 out of 5 stars ... old son loves these shaped Barbapapa books - his favourite is Barbouille, 23 May 2015
This review is from: Barbapapa (Album)
My 2 year old son loves these shaped Barbapapa books - his favourite is Barbouille. They're small and simple (Barbapapa and Barbamama books are a bit bigger than the others), beautifully designed and made of thick card but we've already broken two of them - they don't stand up to the rough handling of very young children, which is a shame. But they're not expensive so it's not the end of the world.

Petit Jour Paris Soft Ball Barbapapa Design
Petit Jour Paris Soft Ball Barbapapa Design
Offered by Little Sunflowers

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite toy, 23 May 2015
My son is two and has had this ball for nearly a year. It's well made and has been a favourite ever since we bought it!

The Puffin Baby and Toddler Treasury
The Puffin Baby and Toddler Treasury
by Various

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, toddler favourite, 23 May 2015
This is one of my son's favourite books and he likes me to sing to him from it every night at bedtime. He's not quite old enough to follow the stories yet but I'm looking forward to sharing those with him too - Spot, Tom Kitten, the Snowman, Shirley Hughes et al. In fact I'm going to buy a replacement copy because he loves it so much, the hardback cover has actually separated from the pages due to him trying to carry it about when he was still too small to pick it up! Highly recommended.

Bye Bye Baby
Bye Bye Baby
by Janet Ahlberg

2.0 out of 5 stars Not brilliant for single parent families., 23 May 2015
This review is from: Bye Bye Baby (Paperback)
I was excited to find an Ahlberg story I'd not read before and at first glance it seemed lovely. It's about a little boy who sets off to find a mummy. Unfortunately for me he then goes off and finds a daddy, and I can't bring myself to read this story to my son as I am a single mother and I'm worried it will make him think we could find a daddy just like that. Too sad for me I'm afraid. I can see that it would be a great choice for adopted children but single parents may want to avoid this one.

The Voice of the Violin (Inspector Montalbano Mysteries)
The Voice of the Violin (Inspector Montalbano Mysteries)
by Andrea Camilleri

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, 21 Aug. 2013
I've been working my way through the Montalbano books chronologically and was very disappointed by this one. Another reviewer said this:

"The book is flawed, however, by having an improbable plot in many dimensions that I found annoying. More seriously, there's a cynical view of human nature expressed here that I found powerful, but disgusting to contemplate. If you are like me, you will find the ultimate description of the murder's method and its motive to be repulsive."

I agree with the first sentence but did not find the cynical view of human nature powerful, just lacking in credibility. Rather than repulsed, I felt utterly unconvinced by the denouement and this really disappointed me as I thought the first three books were a lot stronger. The first book in the series (The Shape of Water) contained some very lurid elements but they seemed integral to the plot and congruous with the setting. Here similar tactics just seem gratuitous. However, I'm going to carry on with the series and hope that Camilleri was just having an off day with this one!

Heimess 734210 Wooden Elasticated Touch Ring Rattle (Elephant)
Heimess 734210 Wooden Elasticated Touch Ring Rattle (Elephant)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely toy, 28 April 2013
This is a really delightful toy for young babies but be aware the description states it has a bell and it doesn't. I was a little bit disappointed about that but it's still very nice and makes a gentle rattling sound.