Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now
Profile for Helpless > Reviews

Content by Helpless
Top Reviewer Ranking: 355

Helpless "Helpless" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedi Refill, Ultra Coarse
Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedi Refill, Ultra Coarse

4.0 out of 5 stars A quality pedi roller but a little expensive, 17 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A quality super coarse roller that makes short work of hard skin. Care should be taken not to press too hard. Works well with the Scholl wet and dry Pedi. They are quite expensive compared to compatible rollers but should stand up to lengthy use.

FURminator Dog De-Shedding Long Hair Gift Box, Medium
FURminator Dog De-Shedding Long Hair Gift Box, Medium

3.0 out of 5 stars EXTRACTS FUR WELL BUT THE COMB TEETH ARE TOO SHARP, THEY CAN SCRATCH AND CUT SKIN, 15 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The product 'The Furminator' has a great name for what is essentially a comb with a handle.

The Furminator is a comb with a rubber grip handle and a push button slide which helps to push the dog hairs out of the teeth of the comb. The teeth of the comb are machined in a V shape with square cut ends out of a piece of metal. It reminds me a little of a nit comb.
The 'towel' is actually the size of a flannel and supposed to be used to rub over the dog after using the deodoriser. The pump action deodoriser bottle can be used to spray the dogs fur, it does not have to be washed out.

In practice the Furminator is fairly efficient in removing hair, but no more so than what a comb could remove. The handle is comfortable to hold and easy to grip. My biggest reservation is that the comb teeth have not been rounded off and have quite sharp edges. I tried the comb out by running it lightly over the back of my hand and found that I was left with a pin prick cut and scratched skin. If you have dogs with sensitive or thin skin I'd advise you not to use the Furminator until they rectify the sharp machined edges of the comb. Even combing very lightly left marks on my hand.

The towel is not a towel, it is a flannel.

The deodorising spray upset my dog, he didn't like it and frankly nor did I. It smelled of cleaning products that you might use in your toilet. I did test spray some on my dad and he really didn't like the smell either.

In conclusion, the teeth on the comb need to be smoothed and rounded off to prevent the dogs skin being scratched. The deodoriser is not particularly pleasant unless you like sniffing toilets and the towel should be called a flannel.

Not withstanding the smell of the deodoriser, which is really just a personal preference that I don't like the smell, I really do think the sharp teeth on the comb head needs to be addressed.

I have attached a photo of the small cut on the back of my hand in addition to the extracted fur.

Tied Up Dead - Part Two
Tied Up Dead - Part Two
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this like you would a contagious plague., 14 Feb. 2017
This review is from: Kick Ass Cops (Amazon Video)
So torturous that being made to watch the first five minutes would be enough to get a confession out of a hardened criminal or enemy of the state. The only downside would be that there would be a UN resolution condemning you for the using it and you'd be answerable to the International Criminal Tribunal.

Do with this what you would do if you saw someone approaching with a highly contagious disease, avoid like the plague.

Durex Intense Condoms - Pack of 12
Durex Intense Condoms - Pack of 12

5.0 out of 5 stars A LITTLE SNUG COMPARED TO MY USUAL DUREX COMFORT XL SOU'WESTERS BUT BY FAR THEY ARE MORE SENSITIVE, 11 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’m actually in two minds over Durex Intense, while quite suitable for the average man they are a little more snug, actually maybe too snug compared to the Comfort XL tried and tested series that I prefer as my mainstay go to product.

The initial application left me feeling like I had tied a tourniquet round the business end of my appendage, my wife also complained it was not particularly easy to roll down while the fires of passion were creating an inferno of feelings. The giggling and the words ‘I can’t get it on’ did much to dampen down my ardour. As with most men, when passion surfaces I don't want to have go through a ’10 minute let’s pause a moment’.

The third attempt was a little more successful, finally attached and fitted correctly the product was put through its paces, and how. Three minutes later my wife and I lay back, swapped notes and contemplated how well the product had performed.

In her opinion she didn't really notice a difference over whether it was more sensual or not, maybe the ribs and dots were stretched a little too thin, she did comment that she wasn't quite sure about the smell it gave off, but she is a little pedantic about smells, when I cook all the windows in the house have to be left open. I was also concerned for a moment that I'd got some Deep Heat that I'd put on my knee earlier in the wrong place. Thankfully it was the 'tingle gel' but it was most unusual.

As for me, it did feel better and allowed more sensitivity than the thicker Comfort XL’s that can be compared to a fisherman’s sou’wester.

But here is the rub, and no pun intended, it’s not as easy to put on as the Comfort XL and at my age I can’t be hanging around when the opportunity arises.

If and when my wife decides it is ‘time’ I can’t be dithering around on the edge of the bed, with two small children opportunities are far and few between and if the opportunity does arise I can’t be hanging around.

In conclusion, I’d ask Durex to bring out a supply of Sensitive XL’s and I’d be happy to give them a test drive.

Duracell Ultra Power Type AA Alkaline Batteries, pack of 12
Duracell Ultra Power Type AA Alkaline Batteries, pack of 12

4.0 out of 5 stars DURACELL BATTERIES TO TEND TO OUTLAST THE OPPOSITION AND ARE SURPRISINGLY LESS LIABLE TO LEAKAGE, 11 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Duracell claim these are their longest lasting batteries so far. They come with a power check edge so you can see how much charge is left in the battery, though whether this is useful or just a moot point I’m not quite sure. I generally change the batteries when they stop working, even when a device, such as a computer mouse keeps telling me the batteries are low.

Let’s be honest here, we use batteries until they can’t be used anymore, changing them before they run out just doesn't make sense unless it’s the constant beeping of a smoke detector is keeping you awake at night. Just keep a stock of your most used batteries and you won’t be caught short.

As to the claim that they are Duracell's longest lasting batteries, with the caveat “on average across devices” I will be able to gauge that when they run out in the TV remote. As I have only just put them in I expect them to last at least a year and will update the review accordingly.

However, what I will say is this, I do generally use Duracell batteries, not only because they last a long time but also because they are less liable to leakage. The package of 12 batteries weight quite a bit so I’ll not dispute the claims, as anyone knows, if the battery weighs the same a feather you know they won’t last.

Whether these batteries provide more life and are worth the extra expense over the standard Duracell's is up to you, I’ve never had cause to be disappointed with their products. Though when the price is reduced they are better value for money.

Casio - PRW-3500Y-4E – Pro-Trek Men's Automatic Digital Watch - LCD Display – Orange Resin Strap

5.0 out of 5 stars A TRUE HARD WEARING ROBUST TIMEKEEPER, 9 Feb. 2017
Many years ago I had a Casio Casiotron, one of the first LCD watches that saw me through school and beyond. It still works today. Since then I have gone through a number of watches and have had a preference for mechanical autowinds.

It’s only after buying my son a Casio G-Shock for the start of his secondary education that I began to look at digital watches in a different way.

I spend a lot of time out and about, across various sites and take part in a number of sports and activities that involve knocks and bumps. I look through my small collection of watches and see scratched and chipped glass, dints and dents in the metal and scuffed bracelets.

I needed something that I didn't mind getting scuffed and dented, a tool watch that will survive a good fall, a dunk in a river or a clack against a rock. That’s when I started to study the Casio range.

While the G-Shock watches are a little more extreme I wanted a watch with a large numerical display. That’s where this Pro Trek 3500Y caught my eye. I have not been disappointed.

I has the toughness I need, it has more features that I could have imagined. A barometer that works and shows weather trends, it has a thermometer, it has a compass and a reasonably accurate altimeter. It even tells me when the sun will rise and the sun will set.

I could go on about the timer, the stopwatch, the alarm, the steel compass bezel, auto illumination and the world clock but there is something better.

It has solar charging, will not need a battery change or a daily plug into a socket and in the UK I won’t have to adjust the time because it picks up a signal from an atomic clock and sets itself.
Even better, on one full charge it can last months and months without seeing daylight and if put in a dark box goes to sleep ready for when it is to be used again.

However, I did find one downside, I loved the bright orange strap but it was so uncomfortable, too hot and took pleasure in plucking hair from my wrist. It was a simple job to remove the old strap taking out the screw pins and replacing them then putting a Nato strap on the watch. This make it much lighter to wear, much more comfortable and I no longer feel like my writs is being plucked.

Smart watch and high end watch owners eat your heart out, this is a true timekeeper, whereas your charge a day smart watch will be out of date next year, this will be going strong years from now.

This watch will develop character the more marks and dents it receives and I won’t be worried if it does.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac (UK)
Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac (UK)

5.0 out of 5 stars A CLEVER PIECE OF SOFTWARE THAT CAN MAKE LIFE EASIER IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE TO USE WINDOWS SOFTWARE AFTER MIGRATING TO A MAC, 9 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you have a MacBook Pro laptop such as mine you may have partitioned the hard drive with Bootcamp. I have been fortunate to have a Mac Book that I can swap out the original hard drive and increase storage space. I divided the new drive so that I can run a copy of Windows as well as OS X. The reason for this is that I use a fair bit of Windows software that isn't available on the Mac.

The disadvantage with this set up is that each time I have to swap the OS’s I have to reboot the computer. This is where Parallels comes into its own. Instead of having to re-start and press alt to boot from the Windows partition I can access all the Windows programs in OSX on a virtual screen. It is much more convenient so if you need to do what I have done this product might be for you.

In my case I have accountancy software and a web design package that only works on windows, the rest of the time I stay with OS X.

Parallels allows me to access the Windows partition and run the programs I have installed within OS X. In other words, a window pops up on the OS X desktop running the Windows program.

This product contains a download code only, whether it needs such a big packaging box is a moot point, I’d much prefer it if the packaging was reduced because the box containing the key code adds very little value. The activation key is on the back of the booklet contained within. There are a few naff stickers you might want to stick on your computer.

Additionally there is also a six month ‘free trail’ of Acronis True Image which can be used to backup your entire Parallels partition to the tune of 500GB.

The backup software is not to be sneezed at as it backs up both Windows and OS X, Apple Time Machine won’t back up the Windows partition.

You might experience a little slow down on your Macbook laptop with a standard copy of Parallels, it can stretch the system resources a little, there is a Pro version of the same software that has enhanced memory supporting 64GB of RAM and 16 vCPU.

One point worth mentioning is that this product is a stand alone version of the product and not like some Pro versions for the Mac, a 12 month licence. This means you could use the product for as long as the support lasts or your laptop can tolerate.

One point to note is that you may need, actually you will probably need your Windows software activation codes when you first start using Parallels, so make sure you have these at hand.

In conclusion this is a clever piece of software that can make life a lot easier and raise productivity if you have Windows software and want to move to a Mac.

NATO G10 Nylon Military Watch Strap by ZULUDIVER® Satin, Classic Bond, 22mm
NATO G10 Nylon Military Watch Strap by ZULUDIVER® Satin, Classic Bond, 22mm
Offered by WatchGecko

5.0 out of 5 stars A QUALITY NATO WATCH STRAP, 9 Feb. 2017
I was looking for a Nato watch strap to replace the original and uncomfortable plastic strap that was fitted to my Casio Pro Trek. It was simple to replace and the NATO strap is so much more comfortable.

While the 'Classic Bond' name tag is a bit of a red herring, James Bond never wore a strap like this on his Rolex even in Goldfinger. Nato straps only appeared commercially in the 1980's, the 'Classic Bond' Nato is a bit of an urban myth.

The strap itself is excellent quality. The brushed satin on the buckles blends nicely with the grey stripes. Zulu Diver watch straps tend to be a little longer than the opposition and made slightly thicker too. They are without a doubt very comfortable.

Zulu Diver Nato straps are a little more expensive but you do get a better quality strap and a few replacement spring pins too.

A Whole World to Colour In: An Asterix Colouring Book
A Whole World to Colour In: An Asterix Colouring Book
by Hachette Children's Books

5.0 out of 5 stars 110 PAGES OF QUALITY ASTERIX COLOURING IN BOOK., 8 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
110 pages of Asterix colouring. There is a mixture of full page and two to a page colouring scenes, some from existing stories and some that have not appeared in the books. The quality of the book is very good, the binding feels robust and the colouring pages have a nice thickness to them. It's about A3 sized so the page are much bigger than your standard A4 copy paper.

If you are an Asterix fan and like colouring this might just be an ideal purchase for you.

While I can't hope to colour as well as the original artist I will certainly give it a try.

Nylon Watch Strap by ZULUDIVER®, Brushed ZULU Buckles, Green, 22mm
Nylon Watch Strap by ZULUDIVER®, Brushed ZULU Buckles, Green, 22mm
Offered by WatchGecko

5.0 out of 5 stars While more expensive than some you do get more strap for your money., 7 Feb. 2017
One of the better Nato watch straps I have purchased. while the strap costs a little more than other competitors watch straps, the quality of the nylon is so much better. It is longer and it is made of a thicker weave than some I have bought in the past, I'd probably go as far as saying it is almost twice as thick. This makes it more comfortable and the extra length allows the end of the strap to be tucked in.

While more expensive than some you do get more strap for your money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20