Profile for Ciaran Concannon > Reviews

Content by Ciaran Concannon

Ciaran Concannon "KillarneyDrummer" (Co. Kerry, Ireland)

Logic3 MIP100K Jivebox Speaker Dock For iPod
Logic3 MIP100K Jivebox Speaker Dock For iPod

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing. Absolutely amazing!, 7 July 2009
Now i'm not an audiophile by any means. I don't know anything about the technical details of this speaker system, but i do love my music. And i LOVE hearing my music coming out from the perfect speakers on the jivebox.

Listening to your music through it really does breathe new life into your music collection, the sound is that good. I've found myself listening to countless songs just to see "wonder how good THIS sounds through it?" and i haven't been disappointed once.

Perfect for parties, you can play it as loud as you'd ever need and still retain a crystal clear sound. I've been playing with this thing for one day and i really just want to hold a party just to use it! :-p

Highly recommended.

United States of America
United States of America
Offered by FastMedia "Ships From USA"

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing, 5 May 2007
Possibly my favourite album of all time. Strong words yes, but i cannot stress enough how amazing this album is.

It starts off with a song that was voted no 1 in the 'most bizarre songs' on an internet music poll (how i got introduced to this band) - 'The American Metaphysical circus'. This song is bizarre, but not off putting in any way. It is beautifully melodic (as are all songs which Dorothy Moskowitz sings on. She has a voice almost comparable to Jefferson Airplane's Grace Slick, which is high praise indeed!)and this start sets the pace for the rest of the album. Wild, sometimes Wacky, but musical genius throughout.

Other songs that stand out for me are:

'Hard Coming Love'(which opens with an excellent electric violin solo) and 'Coming Down', probably the two most energy filled songs on the album. But still melodic, trippy and... well, beautiful nonetheless.

'Cloud Song' - While talking about melody and beauty, this is as good as it gets. Pure relaxation... The violin work and Dorothy's vocals are just mesmorizing in every way.

'Stranded in Time' - A song that has the Beatles' "Eleanor Rigby" written all over it for the opening, with Joseph Byrd using mulit-tracking to create a string quartet effect. But still a truly unique song with their trademark distorted violin coming in half way through.

'The Garden of Earthly Delights' - Psychedelia at it's absolute best. One of my favourite songs ever and... well impossible to describe with any accuracy... Excellent bass, drums, violin, vocals and superb use of synthesisers....

These are just my favourites, for me there is not a bad track on the album.

Not only is this album amazing to listen to though, it was also a landmark album in the history of music, being one of the first heavily electronic albums around. And with the poor quality and complete unpredictability of the earlier synthesisers, joseph byrd has done fantastically well on this album and still sounds good today (I am only 16 yet i think this album sounds fantastic, so it definately stands up to today's standards). A lack of a guitarist doesn't matter in this band, joseph byrd fills in in so many more ways... in fact it makes it all the more unique and wonderful.

I recommend this to everyone who loves or wants to try psychedelia, as this is best that it gets.

Cactology "The Cactus Collection"
Cactology "The Cactus Collection"
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 1 Dec. 2006
Anybody who is a fan of heavy blues rock MUST get this cd. Consisting of 2 Vanilla Fudge members (Carmine Appice on drums and Tim Bogart on bass), David McCarthy on guitar and one of my favourite frontmen of all time - Rusty Day, this band truly rocks. There is generally a high, heavy tempo throughout briefly brought down by songs like alaska, which has a softer blues feel, and the slightly psychedelic instrumental 'Song For Aries' which shows a softer side to the band. Only one bad song on this album and that's "Rumblin Man" which is pretty much noise throughout. Maybe the quality of this song is enhanced with the assistance of certain substances but as im only 16 i wouldn't really know...

one more nice good addition is the booklet which is a mini-biography on the band and tells of Rusty Day's grizzly and unfortunate end... RIP.

Overall - Mindblowing.

I highly HIGHLY recommend it!

Offered by stevecaptainkirk

4.0 out of 5 stars I know what I like..., 21 Feb. 2006
Well I don't know much about rory gallagher, in fact I knew nothing about him before christmas, but I know what I like, and this album is great.As I am new to rory's music, I can't compare the song selection or sound quality with his albums, but if this is poor, his albums must be mindblowing.
Great songs, with some amazing solos and a great run of five live performances at the end of disk 1. As for sound quality, I don't see what there is to complain about,everything sound crystal clear to me. Another nice feature, for any guitarists out there anyway, is the booklet. It may seem like a pretty insignificant thing, but in it rory talks about his influences,guitars and guitar techniques and equipment he uses etc.
Overall this is a great collection for a casual Rory Gallagher fan, or someone completely new to his music. It'll definately lead me on to buy some of his albums, and see what all the fuss is about.

The Cream Of Clapton
The Cream Of Clapton
Offered by streetsahead

3.0 out of 5 stars Cream of Clapton?, 21 Jan. 2006
This review is from: The Cream Of Clapton (Audio CD)
Ahhh... What a feeling when you hear the magnificient opening riff to 'Layla' as you prepare yourself for over an hour of pure Clapton genius.
For the most part, you won't be disappointed, well, for the first half anyway. This album is arranged almost chronologically (they just stuck layla first as it was the biggest hit) so it starts off with Cream and Derek and the Domino's biggest hits. This first half provides some classic 60's music ('I feel free', 'Sunshine of your love' and the fantastic 'Strange brew') and a good mix of variety too.
However, after the first 8 tracks, Clapton is on his own. This is where things start to slowly go downhill. Eric starts off with 'Cocaine', good start, but is followed by a version of Bob Marley's 'I shot the sheriff' which Clapton fails to make his own. When you reach 'After Midnight' and 'Swing low Sweet Chariot' (how this made it on to the album, I don't know) you start to feel like Clapton has lost his fire, and sadly, he doesn't get it back. Songs like 'Promises' and the horribly corny 'Wonderful tonight' fail to show the spirit and passion (or the amazing guitar work) that Clapton can put into his music.
I think that this album is really a mixed bag. It shows the magnificient 60's and early 70's blues/rock clapton, and then mainstream 80's clapton. However, despite what this album seems to show, Clapton never lost his fire, and I suggest buying 'Unplugged' for a true taste of his solo genius. Also I recommend 'I feel free-Ultimate Cream' as 6 songs from the original supergroup is just not enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars I know what I like..., 17 Jan. 2006