Profile for Judith Coyle > Reviews

Content by Judith Coyle

Judith Coyle "rolling stock" (Lancaster, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Girl Is Mine 2008
The Girl Is Mine 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Rollin' with the King of Pop - MJ make you hot!, 11 Aug. 2008
This review is from: The Girl Is Mine 2008 (Audio CD)
I love this. I don't see the value in comparing it to the original because will.i.am has made this track into something new. It's really upbeat and catchy. I was disappointed there was no video to go with this single as I am sure that if there had been it would have made a bigger dent on the charts (as will.i.am did subsequently with Heartbreaker which features Cheryl Cole in the vid.)
I love playing this in the car. It just makes you smile.

Howling At The Moon: The True Story of the Mad Genius of the Music World
Howling At The Moon: The True Story of the Mad Genius of the Music World
by Walter Yetnikoff

4.0 out of 5 stars Honest writing that gives a window into a world beyond most of us, 23 July 2008
One of those books you want to read in one sitting. Yetnikoff comes aross as a not very nice man back in the day when he was high on drugs, booze and women. He's an adulterer, a narcissist and an egomaniac! But at least he admits all this.
I bought it becuase of WY's links with Michael Jackson and it was fascinating to read his thoughts on MJ and his relationship with him. What I liked about this was his honesty - he clearly felt quite a lot of affection for Jackson (and many of his other stars such as Mick Jagger and Billy Joel) yet he does not gloss over their faults either so, for once, you feel as though you are getting an insider's view on these people, one that seems fair and pretty balanced on the whole. I was intrigued also by his admission that he and Jackson kind of 'fuelled' each other's ambition and grandiosity in the days after Thriller. But as for Paul Simon, Yetnikoff has not a good word to say!
The writing style was a little annoying at times. It got quite repetitive but, all in all, a very entertaining read.

Destiny
Destiny

5.0 out of 5 stars JAcksons come to maturity, 16 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Destiny (Audio CD)
Fabulous album by a band at its peak. The 8 minute album version of Shake Your Body sounds a very different animal to the single version - both are great but this version is funkier.
The high point for me is the title track - a country-style intro morphs into solid funk and overlaid by a wistful lyric yearning for the country life. There are also many other lyrics about feeling trapped and beholden. (Not surprising considering the band's dealings with Motown in previous years)
The album sounds 'complete' and confident. Michael's voice is sublime and his brothers' vocals blend together perfectly. Some fantastic horn sections... As the album came just before MJ's solo success - the masterpeice that is "Off The Wall" - it is easy to overlook Destiny but you can hear echoes of Destiny in OTW. Buy Destiny for a slice of 70's funk, dreamy singing and a taste of what was to come a year later.

Thriller [25th Anniversary Edition CD + DVD ] (Original Cover)
Thriller [25th Anniversary Edition CD + DVD ] (Original Cover)
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars I've Got It and I Love it, 7 Jan. 2008
This is THE perfect album of all pop time! Of course we want Jackson to release a new studio album: that's on its way, so they say, but meanwhile listen to the new stuff on here.
The original Thriller: Probably the best crafted, best executed pop album of all time. It's got everything. The production is superb, the vocals outstanding, the songwriting and craftsmanship sublime. Every track on the original Thriller could stand alone as a single.
I think what made Jackson (and his team) succeed here - apart from brilliant timing and the subsequent groundbreaking videos - was that while Michael was trying really hard to better Off the Wall, which is why you get a track to suit all tastes, it doesn't feel contrived. Thriller sounds as fresh now as it did back in the '80s. I did not even buy a copy then - there was no need: you heard it everywhere you went. You knew the tracks without ever putting it on your own record player!
Thriller was a rare phenomenon where the product, the performer the whole ethos of thing, was perfectly in tune with the time in which it was created. The only other album I can say this of is another perfect pop album - the Stone Roses eponymous first album.
But what about the remixes? Will.i.am's efforts are great - especially TGIM. Really bouncy. The PYT is a reworking of MJ's demo for the song. Fergie's vocals on 'Beat it' are woeful. MJ puts her to shame. Kanye West's reworking of 'Billie Jean' is okay but a bit pointless. Why tamper with something that's just iconic and perfect as it is? The real triumph is AKON'S version of Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'. He really manages to make something new out of this somg. Love it. (And the original is my favourite MJ song ever, so that's saying something!)

Michael Jackson: The Visual Documentary
Michael Jackson: The Visual Documentary
by Adrian Grant

5.0 out of 5 stars The Definitive Guide for 'Facts and Figures' Fans, 9 Dec. 2007
Great for those who like to know all the nuts and bolts details of when MJ's records were released, tour dates, statistics etc. Tons of pics I've never seen before. A superb factual reference. Not as intruiging as Taraborelli's biography on Jackson as it is very much on the side of Michael, with no questions asked, but fascinating all the same. Quite a few proof reading errors, I noticed.
Looking forward to the next, updated edition of this book.

Moonwalker: The Storybook Original Story by Michael Jackson
Moonwalker: The Storybook Original Story by Michael Jackson
by Michael Jackson

3.0 out of 5 stars A collector's item, 9 Dec. 2007
A children's book with easy-to-read text teling a story about how Michael Jackson is a saviour etc. Would make a nice accompaniment for fans of the Smooth Criminal video (like me) as has some great pics from that among others. Currently going very cheap on Amazon, but who knows, get a first edition and it might become a collector's item one day in the far flung future.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2009 12:02 AM BST

Black Like You: Blackface, Whiteface, Insult & Imitation in American Popular Culture
by John Strausbaugh

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 3 Nov. 2007
A fascinating read. He writes clearly, thoughtfully and without ego. Like the previous reviwer I found the book interesting and well researched but I personally did not find the negro phonetic language a problem but perhaos this is because I am using the book as a research tool rather than just a read.
An accessible read for anyone who wants to know more about the world of Minstrelsy. The book, Behind the Minstrel Mask, is a good companion - though more academic than Black Like You. I thoroughly recommend the latter.

Simply the Gest
Simply the Gest
by David Gest

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply entertaining, 3 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Simply the Gest (Hardcover)
I actually really liked this book - and I did not expect to. Okay, it's not deep but it's a really easy read, escapist, lively and quite fascinating when retelling tales from his friendship with Michael Jackson. Some good pictures too.
I thought DG had an interesting life. He came over as a rather honest person - upfront about his own faults and his rather large ego!
I recommend this to anyone who is interested in the older-style Hollywood. Perhaps I enjoyed this because I'm nearer David Gest's age range than other reviewers?
He did not sound that nuts to me!!

Holler If You Hear Me: Searching for Tupac Shakur
Holler If You Hear Me: Searching for Tupac Shakur
by Michael Eric Dyson

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly pretentious, 21 Oct. 2007
I also found Dyson rather pretentious. I agree that he tries to demonstrate a superior intellect by using long, complicated vocabulary that leaves you reeling. I did actually get a better understanding of Tupac's mentality and beliefs but I found the book confusing. There were virtually no dates in the story, so it was hard to place the events. I agree that he goes too far in his praise of Tupac. It was a bit cringe-worthy in places. Well, quite a lot, really!
I think the trouble is that Dyson is writing in an academic way but the book cover tries to flog it as one that is accessible to all. I find it hard to believe that it was a bestseller (as it says on the jacket.)
Some fascinating bits in there - like the history of the 'n' word and the 'b' word but I'm now looking for a more straightforward biog on Tupac for my purposes (research).

In Black and White: The Life of Sammy Davis, Jr
In Black and White: The Life of Sammy Davis, Jr
by Wil Haygood

5.0 out of 5 stars An important book about race and entertainment, 21 Oct. 2007
A vital read for anyone interested in the history of race, civil rights and the entertainment industry. It is a hefty tome. To be honest, I found the background, the 'lesser' character - even more interesting than SD Jr himself!
The story of Will Mastin I found particulalry affecting. His story is intriguing. He lived 100 years and maintained his dignity throughout the trials and triumphs of the showman's life. Something that can not be said for Sammy, really, talent though he was.
Wil Haygood writes with authority and feeling. The book is literate, thought-provoking yet not pretentious. I first came across it in my local library and plan to buy it via Amazon.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5