Profile for Stusie > Reviews

Silentnight Safe Nights Fleece Blanket, Grey
Offered by Branded_Bedding

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeously soft, fleecy blanket, 22 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a lovely, gorgeously soft fleecy blanket from Silentnight. All three of my boys have had a cuddly blanket that they have slept with. It’s something nice and familiar that can be very comforting, especially when you’re trying to settle them in a different place. I ordered this Silentnight blanket for my sister who has just had her first baby. She loves it and uses it in the pram all the time. It’s worth repeating just how soft this blanket is - and it washes well and dries quickly too which is important when little one wants it back quickly. It’s 70cm x 90cm in size and has a nice soft cotton edging. It’s handy that it’s from such a well known name and is so readily available on Amazon, because we had to buy a replacement blanket for my youngest and it was difficult to find the same type again.

ELEMIS Fruit Active Rejuvenating Mask - Radiance Boosting Mask 75ml
ELEMIS Fruit Active Rejuvenating Mask - Radiance Boosting Mask 75ml

4.0 out of 5 stars A noticeable lift, 22 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Elemis Fruit Active Rejuvinating Mask has a lovely Strawberry scent. it can be used up to a couple of times a week or saved for special occasions which is how I think I will use it most. It suggests for best results that you should gently exfoliate before use, presumably so that the product is more easily absorbed. Once applied you leave the mask on for 10 to 15 minutes. It doesn’t go white and dry like a clay mask, and I found it very easy to remove. My skin was left plump and glowing looking, it certainly received a notable lift.

bliss Micromagic Microdermabrasion Treatment 85 g
bliss Micromagic Microdermabrasion Treatment 85 g

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Bliss product yet!, 22 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’ve tried several Bliss products before and have always been very impressed, but this Bliss Micro Magic is the best Bliss product that I’ve tried yet. It leaves my skin so amazingly soft and smooth it’s almost addictive. The volcanic pumice is so incredibly fine, you only need only a tiny amount for a lovely resurfaced smoothing effect. The fragrance is pleasant and minty and it’s easy to remove - just be careful around the eyes. The blurb says your skin will look smoother and brighter within two weeks, I think it looks and FEELS smoother and brighter straight away. You need to be gentle - use only a small amount a couple of times a week tops and moisturise thoroughly afterwards. But what a difference ti makes! I will definitely be adding it to my Christmas list.

Venom Switch Quad Charging Station (Nintendo Switch)
Venom Switch Quad Charging Station (Nintendo Switch)
Offered by Shop4World

5.0 out of 5 stars Well designed. Great value., 4 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I picked up my Nintendo Switch console a couple of months back. I absolutely love it. One of the Switch’s many great features is that a single set of Joy-Con controllers can be shared by two players for a lot of local multi-player games. There are however some games that this isn’t practical for - sometimes there just isn’t enough buttons on a single Joy-Con. We picked up an extra set of Joy-Cons to play the fantastic new Nintendo brawler ARMS. There’s loads of different controller options for ARMS, but my son and I loved using the motion controls so much that we decided an extra set of Joy-Cons was worthwhile. Charging a single set of Joy-Cons is easy - you just leave them on the side of the Switch when it’s in the TV Dock. When you’ve got a couple of sets though you have to keep swapping them over - which quickly becomes a bit of a pain. Thankfully Venom has come up with this elegant little charging hub / podium. You literally slide the Joy-Cons onto the side of the Venom Charging Station in the same way that you slide them onto the Switch. There’s a little light on the top that changes from Red to Blue when the Joy-Cons are charged. Once they're charged you can just leave them on the Charging Station until you want to use them again - which is much better than having them rattle around in a drawer. You can charge two sets (four individual Joy-Cons) on the Charging Station at a time. Bearing in mind, you can also charge a set on the Switch, this means you can effectively keep three sets charged up very easily.

This Venom Quad Charging Station is powered by USB and can be connected to your Switch’s TV Dock with the supplied USB Type-C cable (there’s two USB ports at the front and another one under the flap on the side where the HDMI cable goes). You can of course also plug it into a USB port on a computer, or one of those little USB charging plugs. Better still, you can also use the cable separately to charge up your Switch if you’re away from the Switch’s TV Dock for longer periods of time - I had been meaning to pick a spare USB Type-C cable for this very purpose, so this handy little dock has solved two of my problems at once. Recommended.

Philips Marvel Captain America Shield 3D LED Wall Light Including 3AA Batteries, Blue/Red/White
Offered by Shop4World

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool wall light, gives off just the right amount of light., 3 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This 3D Captain America wall light from Philips is 250mm in diameter (dinner plate size) and is modelled on Captain America’s famous shield. It’s 3D in the respect that the light unit itself has depth, 36mm to be precise, not in the respect that it does any funky 3D light show. It’s a basic clear LED light that makes the whole shield light up in an attractive way, you just push the star in the middle to turn it on and off. If you leave it on, it automatically switches off after 15 minutes. There are no funky cracked wall stickers (that were supplied with similar sets in the past) supplied, but you do get 3x AAA batteries (that were already installed) and a couple of screws and wall plugs to wall mount. To be honest I just used a couple of picture pins, positioned 62mm apart . It’s a very light thing, so I didn’t see the point of drilling holes in the wall. Apart from some argument between my boys about where we positioned it (they share a bunk-bed) it’s been very well received. It gives off just enough light to let them settle down to sleep comfortably, and of course being Captain America’s shield they both think it’s very cool indeed.

LEGO UK 10743 Cars 3 Smokey's Garage
LEGO UK 10743 Cars 3 Smokey's Garage

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice easy to build set, 3 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My son is five next month, and he’s had a few of these Lego Juniors Easy to Build sets. He particularly liked Batman vs Mr Freeze from the same series, check it out if you’ve got a young Lego Batman fan. This Smokey’s Garage Set features characters from the new Cars 3 movie: Lightning McQueen, Smokey (not Mater) and Junior Moon as well as a garage set that includes a tool station and a small crane. The age range is from 4-7 years but I was well needed to help my son put it together - at least for the first time. The instruction are typical of the clear, picture-only instructions used in the sets for older children, but I still needed to pass him the right pieces and give him little hints when he started putting things in the wrong place. It took us about 40 minutes in the end, and since then he’s rebuilt the whole set several times by himself. The Cars themselves are very solid and made of larger individual pieces. If dropped, usually only a single piece (the bonnet or boot section) will drop off, making them really easy to put back together. The garage part is a bit more intricate, and the tools station in particular contains some very small fiddly tools. One of the key parts that my son usually loves with Lego sets is the Lego mini-figures, and obviously because of the source material here there are none. Still if you’ve got a young Cars fan who’s into their Lego, this is a perfect starter set. The inclusion of three characters and the garage set makes it easy to make up fun stories, and it's a great way for young builders to gain confidence with the Lego system - especially if they've seen older brothers and sisters playing with Lego.

LEGO UK 41585 Brick Headz Batman
LEGO UK 41585 Brick Headz Batman

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool collectible character from Lego, 3 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Lego Batman Brick Headz, is something a little different for slightly older Lego fans. The packaging says 10+ but my ten year old found it a very straightforward build. Perhaps the 10+ guideline refers to the fact that this is more of a collectable, display character rather than a traditional Lego play set. My son put it together quickly in about 20 minutes to half an hour, making only a small slip-up with the cape which I needed to help him with. When complete it stands about 9cm tall and is quite a solid little thing. My son really liked him and stood him immediately on the shelf at the end of his bed with some of his other Lego sets. He has glow in the dark eyes, which look pretty cool. Lego Batman Brick Headz is number 1 in a series that also includes characters like The Joker, Batgirl and Robin. The current £8-£10 price makes him an attractive birthday-party present.

Philips GC7833/80 PerfectCare Compact Steam Generator Iron with 350 g Steam Boost

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, compact steam generator iron., 12 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a nice looking iron. let’s get that out of the way, because it shouldn’t really be a consideration when you’re looking for a new iron. Never the less with it’s space age black and translucent design, this Philips PerfectCare Iron (I have the GC7833/80 350g Black / Teal model) is quite the looker. It has a slightly smaller 1.5L tank compared to the 2.5L tank on my previous Philips steam generator iron, but it’s so much smaller and lighter that it’s an easy compromise to make - I never needed that extra litre anyway and this one actually fits on the shelf in my cupboard. To put the reservoir into perspective, after an hour of ironing work shirts, and children’s school clothes, I had nearly used half of one tank. 1.5L is still a very big tank! There’s a nice large spout to fill the reservoir too. I just use a standard jug and I haven't spilt a drop. It’s 2400 watts, so it warms up quickly in a couple of minutes with a little beep-beep to say it’s ready. It also shut itself down when I got caught talking on the phone, which is a nice safety feature to have. There is no heat setting, it uses what Philips call OptimalTemp - which basically combines a low temperature soleplate with high pressure steam. It works. It means you can go from one garment to the next without worrying about damaging any of your more delicate stuff. It also means you can safely rest the iron, soleplate down on the ironing board between garments without worrying about it scorching the ironing board. If there are any more stubborn creases, a double click of the steam trigger unleashes a steam boost, which is very effective indeed. As far I’m concerned this Philips GC7833/80 offers all the benefits of my older steam iron, but in a much more compact and streamlined size. I’m very pleased with it - and it makes something that I’ve always considered a chore, quicker and easier.

FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT
FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars It’s good stuff my friends. The wait has been worth it., 12 Aug. 2017
This review is from: FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT (Audio CD)
Twenty years ago I fell in love with a song called Underwater Love by Smoke City. It was used as the music for the “Mermaids” Levi’s 501 commercial. At the time it was unlike anything I had ever heard. I quickly bought the album Flying Away and started to pick up any projects that Nina Miranda was involved in: Arkestra One, Da Lata, Shrift, Zeep… Along the way I got into the larger Brazilian and World music scene: Vinicius Cantuaria, Toco, Seu Jorge, Ana Cañas, CéU, Bebel Gilberto, Vanessa da Mata… That one song was the start of a musical journey for me. Which leads us up to now. I’m sat sipping on a San Miguel and I’m wrestling with the Pistachios that I put to the side earlier that were too difficult to open. I’m listening to that voice that beguiled me all those years ago, Nina Miranda and her first solo album. It’s good stuff my friends. The wait has been worth it.

The album starts with Capoeira 2020 and the familiar sound of the single stringed Berimbau - the soul of Capoeira, the ultimate freedom of moment. A couple of verses sung in Portuguese, then a couple in English. A lovely mellow vibe. Into Play, a warm funky, sub-house rhythm underpinned by electric guitar that confidently rolls into a lovely stretched percussive section. There’s some great musicianship on this album, and everyone has room to breath. There’s elements of traditionalism fused with a modern taste for samples and electronica. Nina’s vocals have changed little over the years, and I mean that purely as a compliment. Her voice is as supple and beautiful as ever, switching from sensual jazzy playfulness to soulful balladeer with effortless grace. Marshmellow Dreams drifts by on beautiful acoustic guitar, and is one of two songs to feature Chris Franck on a songwriting credit. Whole of London features vocals from Antony Elvin, “Where did you go? I searched the whole of London Town”. The Cage unleashes a lethal horn section “Get me out of the cage!” and flows straight into The Garden. They’re like twins. Different yet inseparable and part of the same. i AM… filters Tropicalia and reggae through Basement Jax. Feminist Man is a beautiful acoustic ballad. Silken Horse is a percussive soundscape and one of my early favourites, starting with a quick rhythm established on the Berimbau, “coming.. horse… coming… silken horse”. Julia is a cover of the Beatles song sung in both English and Portuguese. Amazonia Amor is one of the stand-out tracks of the album, a beautiful hushed vocal with bird song and thunder that builds through an adventurous exploration of textural sound...

There’s everything that I love about music going on in this album. It’s playful and and adventurous. There’s fusions of unlikely sounds and influences that all come together effortlessly as if they were always meant to be. There’s samba and bossa nova influences mixed with electronic beats and, rhythms and samples. It’s less structured and more fluid than the Zeep albums, with that same appetite for experimentation that made the first Smoke City album such a joy. I must have listened to it half a dozen times in the day and half since it arrived. Nina Miranda may have kept us waiting for her first solo album, but the journey was fantastic and the wait more than worth it.

Magror, Ogre of the Swamps: Special 20 (Beast Quest)
Magror, Ogre of the Swamps: Special 20 (Beast Quest)
by Adam Blade

4.0 out of 5 stars In which Tom tells us about his Dad., 10 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My ten year old picked up a whole pile of Beast Quest books that our local library was clearing out, for just a few pennies each. I think he was suffering from a little Beast Quest burn-out which is why it took him a little while to get round to reading this new one. Once he started though, he literally ripped through it and said that it was one of the best he had read. Tom is the current Beast Master, but this story lets Tom tell us about Taladon his father, which is a little different to the usual books. There’s two stories included: Three Heroes and A New Master. The stories are packed with adventure and are actually pretty funny in places too. My ten year old was comfortably able to read the book by himself and there are some nice illustrations too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20