Profile for Patrick Collister > Reviews

Content by Patrick Collister

Patrick Collister

The Storytelling Book (Concise Advice)
The Storytelling Book (Concise Advice)
by Anthony Tasgal

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for deck-heads, 30 Oct. 2015
There are a number of premises within this book that I take issue with, starting with Tasgal’s use of the word ‘story’ as a substitute for the word ‘idea’.
The two are not the same.

Nor do I agree that we would be any better off if we learned to ‘de-militarise’ the vocabulary of marketing.
Tasgal notes that we talk of the cola wars, of campaigns and targets, hits and victories but suggests we might do better in marketing communications if we learn to talk to the consumer more peaceably.
But I wouldn’t have enjoyed the book as much as I did if I had nodded my way through it.

There isn’t a dull page. It fizzes with anecdotes and asides, which reveal the breadth and depth of the author’s knowledge and experience.
Anyone who can quote Bertrand Russell and Stephen Hawking on the one hand and Depeche Mode and Morissey on the other is not someone stuck in an intellectual niche.

And there are some good laughs.
I loved his description of a certain type of executive as deck-heads.
And the suggestion that tick-boxing could become a competitive sport.

For a tenner, it’s a gift.

Newsjacking: The Urgent Genius of Real-Time Advertising
Newsjacking: The Urgent Genius of Real-Time Advertising
by Grant Hunter

5.0 out of 5 stars Urgent Genius, 26 July 2013
It's always heartening to come across like-minded souls and I feel Grant Hunter and Jon Burkhart are peas from the same pod as me. For the last seven years I've been pursuing innovative ideas in advertising and publishing them in a magazine. They have been pursuing the same fireflies and have now published them in this book.
The eight different categories of 'Urgent Genius' are a useful tool in their own right, inspiring both marketers and creative people to come up with ideas, but the individual case histories are each worth study.
Tucked away in this important book are several pointers to where advertising is going.
Firstly, processes created over 70 years ago patently will not work today.
Secondly, collaboration between different kinds of agency as, jointly, they deliver seamless brand engagement, is essential.
Lastly, there are no rules any longer.