Profile for RWK > Reviews

RWK

Calix Imperium, Roma Victrix Pewter wine beaker
Calix Imperium, Roma Victrix Pewter wine beaker

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine detail and historically accurate, 25 Aug. 2012
I first heard of the Roma Victrix beaker through a friend, who had purchased one whilst on a visit to the British museum, it was on sale in the prestigious Grenville room shop, which is renowned for its high quality and historically accurate goods. As a student of Roman military history, (like myself), he was immediately taken by the fine detail, and the overall accuracy.
I contacted the makers website for further information and have since learned that it was modelled on a first century Calathus, called the Poseidon beaker, currently in the Yale University Art gallery. The detail on the beaker and the historical accuracy as a whole, is astounding, from the Scutem blazons, the bust of Vespasian, to the minuteness of the Centurions Phalerae. I have seen many pewter engravings in my time, but none with the same minute attention to detail, and none so finely worked.
On the maker's site was a link to Amazon, where I found the price was set at £52.00 below that of the British museum, (to the chagrin of my friend). I ordered immediately, the beaker arrived within two days.
To sum up: The makers have responded promptly and expertly to my enquiries, I do not hesitate to recommend this product, as to my mind, not only is it great value for money, but also, to endorse other reviewers comments, will one day become a collectors item. I only hope that this company will continue to produce these excellent products in other periods of military history.