Profile for JimN > Reviews

Content by JimN

JimN (England)

Stuhrling Original Women's Ascot Prime Women's Quartz Watch with Silver Dial Analogue Display and Silver Stainless Steel Bracelet 414L.01
Offered by Watches2U

5.0 out of 5 stars who was only planning on wearing it for best but she likes it so much that it rarely ..., 16 May 2015
Bought as a present for my wife, who was only planning on wearing it for best but she likes it so much that it rarely leaves her wrist.

Uncle: The Songs [Explicit]
Uncle: The Songs [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Required listening for Uncle fans, 16 May 2015
If you love both series of Uncle, you have to get this. All the songs are crackers and the snippets will make you smile.

Sanwood Men's Canvas School Shoulder Bag (Army Green)
Sanwood Men's Canvas School Shoulder Bag (Army Green)

4.0 out of 5 stars Belstaff 554 'homage', 16 May 2015
This review is from: Men's Canvas School Shoulder Bag
If you've seen the film I Am Legend with Will Smith you may have noticed the bag that he uses, which is a Belstaff 554 (which cost £200+). The Samwood bag is very similar in design and actually includes some improvements, such as the full width zip closure.

The canvas material is surprisingly thick & sturdy and most of the stitching looks well attached. The two front straps are only held closed by magnets, but the straps themselves are fully functional so i am planning on gluing the magnets together and then using the straps & buckles.

Overall I am very happy for the price.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Middle of the road, 10 Jun. 2013
Looking through previous reviews it really does seem as though this router either works marvellously or fails miserably and I really thought I was going to be in the initial camp, but things can never be that straight-forward. I bought the TD-W8970 to replace an ageing Netgear DG834G, which was solid as a rock but didn't provide the gigabit Ethernet or wireless N that can be used by the latest devices around the home (e.g. NAS, laptop, tablets, xbox, etc). Set-up was straight-forward and very soon I had data flying around the house like nobodies business, using both wired and wireless connections. Then (and I don't know if this is directly relevant or just a coincidence) a new firmware was released, which I updated to as soon as I noticed it. Things were still fine for a couple of weeks but then the router started refusing to connect to my internet provider (PlusNet), internal wired & wireless were still fine. As I work from home this was a major problem. After various reboots I was able to connect again, but by the following morning it had disappeared again. Something seemed to be happening overnight that was killing the connection.

Luckily the TD-W8970 is able to accept a WAN connection from other devices, so I was able to reconnect Netgear to accept the ADSL connection and then pipe that through the TP-Link, which can then send it throughout the house. Not an ideal solution and I would rather not have an additional device powered up, but it works (for the most part, the TP-Link still seems to die occasionally overnight and requires a reset to bring it back to life).

So, to summarise:
* Device management - 3/5
* ADSL connection - 1/5
* WAN connection - 5/5
* Wireless-N - 4/5
* Gigabit Ethernet - 4/5

I've not used the USB or printer facilities.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2014 3:06 PM BST

SAMSUNG EBL1F2HVUC BATT NEW  SILVER 1750MAH GALAXY NEXUS I9
SAMSUNG EBL1F2HVUC BATT NEW SILVER 1750MAH GALAXY NEXUS I9
Offered by Onogo

1.0 out of 5 stars No NFC, 11 April 2013
Bought via 'marltech', the battery appears exactly the same as my original battery, including branding, but the NFC functionality does not work. I'll let you draw your own conclusions from that.

Apparently I'm not allowed to add another review - even though I've made two separate orders for the same product from different suppliers! I want to keep this one star review for 'marltech', so that it is visible, but if I could I'd add a 5-star review for 'ItsTek', who have supplied me with a second spare battery which does appear to be completely genuine as it came in original packaging and includes the NFC functionality.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Black Friday Bargain, 27 Nov. 2011
I had a LoveFilm account previously but it wasn't offering me value for money so I cancelled it (I mainly wanted it for streaming but the available selection was poor), I managed to get the deal through Amazon's Black Friday offers so I thought I'd give it another crack. As far as I can tell it's not possible to apply the provided 6 month code to an existing account and I had to create a new one so I lost all my previous lists :-(

In summary, it's not a very good deal if you have to pay the full amount (you may as well get a £9.99 monthly subscription though LoveFilm.com so you can cancel at any time, this way you are locked into the same deal for 6 months) and you have to set up a new account.

Edit: A commenter says that they were able to add it to existing account by phoning LoveFilm
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2011 12:51 AM GMT

Woodcraft (Dodo Press)
Woodcraft (Dodo Press)
by Geor Nessmuk (George Washington Sears)

1.0 out of 5 stars No engravings!, 10 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Woodcraft (Dodo Press) (Paperback)
This is a classic text that I've been after for while, but this Dodo Press edition is seriously lacking! They have not included any of the images that are included in the original text. This is a serious omission and I'd give this zero stars if possible.