Profile for Carolyn Simon > Reviews

Carolyn Simon

Tales from the Golden Fringe: The Arbroath Chalice
Tales from the Golden Fringe: The Arbroath Chalice

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever Comedy, 8 Aug. 2015
I read 'The Arbroach Chalice' on holiday, and my husband had to put up with me Laughing Out Loud a lot. Vanessa Glynn writes with mordant wit but also with erudition: underpinning the social satire and the ingenious tale of mystery and (spoiler alert) murder, is an intelligent understanding of Scotland, past and present.

Cabin Hand Luggage Trolley Backpack with padded laptop compartment -Lyon+ by Cabin Max® (Grey/Blue)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 9 Sept. 2014
Very practical and great value

Independence Day
Independence Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Independence Day (Kindle Edition)
Richard Ford is such a great writer, I have lost the urge to read anyone else until I have worked my way through his books. (Independence Day is my third).

Waking Beauty
Waking Beauty
by Julie Parrish

5.0 out of 5 stars Waking Beauty, 14 May 2010
This review is from: Waking Beauty (Paperback)
This is a great read, shot through with suspense and scenes of high drama. It's aimed at 9-12 year-olds, I guess. I'm considerably older (not telling) and I loved it. The writing is tight, and sometimes laugh-out-loud funny. Cool teenagers rub up against fairy-tale romance. It would make a great film or TV series but as a lot of the humour relates to today's teen-speak and teen-trends, it's probably best not to wait for a production company to snap it up. Read the book!