Profile for P. V. Rice > Reviews

Timex Original T28201 PF Men's Analog Quartz Watch with Brown Leather Strap
Timex Original T28201 PF Men's Analog Quartz Watch with Brown Leather Strap

5.0 out of 5 stars About timex!!, 15 Jun. 2012
Well, what can I say?!!
Like other reviewers,I was in need of better glasses or a better watch.
I wanted something traditional(i.e `old`) but not £2 junk shop chic .
Reliable but not overloaded with dials and buttons.
This watch is AWESOME!
The face is about one and a half inches wide and the brown leather stitched strap is high quality ,with enough clasp holes to fit any wrist.
As a bonus, touch the winder and the whole face lights up enough to see the time at night.
I love it .
Being a skinflint, too,the price is just silly!
It has no date facility,but that is part of the simple charm and who cares what date it is anyway...if you have a phone that will tell you,probably by text,voicemail,speak and spell,telepathy ,clairvoiance, sms,gps,exocet missile....maybe not.
Buy yourself this watch and if you don`t like it,give it as a pressy to someone who does!

Moen MO-VB Shaky Jimi GEN3 - Vintage Vibe Vibrato Chorus - Guitar Effects Pedal
Moen MO-VB Shaky Jimi GEN3 - Vintage Vibe Vibrato Chorus - Guitar Effects Pedal

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth knobs and wobbly goodness., 28 April 2012
I have been on a quest for `that` vibe tone which evokes Jimi ,Robin and makes me play with feel rather than format.Not much to ask for in a pedal,eh?!
I won`t compare it with others as it is such a subjective choice but this one really hits the spot.
The metal casing is a matt,almost dusty finish with a nice-and probably naughty-jimi image.
The underside has a good,non slip,padding and the input jacks are very solid.
The three knobs feel solid and expensive ,with that gentle reassuring resistance as you turn them.The foot switch is very positive and a little stiff which may mean it
will need replacing at some point ,but that is just a guess and could be said of any pedal.
The micro switch for chorus or vibe selection is fine but won`t get used by me as chorus was not what I bought this pedal for.
I can`t comment on that side of the pedal,particularly as it requires a manual adjustment when playing live and moving from vibe to chorus.
Yeah...but what does it sound like?!!!
Put it this way,I have never played `no quarter`,the moody zep epic,before but that`s what the tone did for me.
It is difficult to find a `bad` sound with this vibe,always a good acid test for any stomp box and the background noise is minimal,even with filth applied.
That Bridge of Sighs hammer-on intro tone is there too and best of all,Paul Kossoff Molten Gold and Time Away sneak up on you!!
It is not quite phase,not quite chorus ,a little bit `wah` and a whole lotta soul.
I pay £80 to fill my car which is gone in a jiffy-this is half that price(almost) and much more fun! I might just buy another and start to walk!!
Kudos to Harry`s guitar shop too,the amazon trader, for great packaging, swift delivery and a free logo plecky.
My vibe quest is over!

Good Clean Fun
Good Clean Fun

5.0 out of 5 stars KAPOOT INDEED!, 13 April 2012
This review is from: Good Clean Fun (Audio CD)
Well....I am astounded....and that doesn`t happen to me,musically ,that often!
I was browsing for obscure old tosh in the vain hope of finding something `of it`s time` but still with that something special.
This album cost less than,for example,classic rock magazine,so what the heck...?
It is like nothing I have ever heard-but not in a Mars Volta sense(who I also like...).
I makes me think zappa...then Deaf School (ace liverpool arty band from the late 70s)then...ee[...] ballad but wait....harpsichord ?...lead guitar solos...what is going on?
I hate it...I love it....I don`t get it....I play it again!!!
Everything you could want in the quest for obscure brilliance!!!
I`d say buy it and judge for yourself....my smug old crusty`I`ve heard it all before went -footch----`kapoot!` indeed .!!!

Electric Warrior
Electric Warrior
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes,you do need another copy of Electric Warrior!!, 1 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Electric Warrior (Audio CD)
Like the American reviewer linked to Amazon UK says,this is the best version of a classic Bolan album.
I also have the anniversary edition,the Castle edition ,the sacd release and (yes ,I need to get out more!)this is the one that hits the spot.
Warm,but crisp sound which reveals details that were hidden,particularly Bill Legend`s drumming and Flo and Eddie`s unique backing vocals.The sound is perfectly balanced and lets the listener pay attention to every nuance or just go with the flow and eddy of the music as it washes over you and laps at your feet!(enuf with the puns, already).
One final thought,Amazon should reduce the price as HMV has it for 3.99 inc.p and p.
Bang a gong in the mambo sun.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 29, 2012 2:53 PM GMT

Lightning Cable [Apple MFi Certified], TeckNet 2.0M Apple Lightning to USB Cable For Apple iPhone 6S /6S plus/6/SE/5s/5c/5,iPad,iPad Air /Air 2, iPad mini1/mini2/mini3/mini4,iPad Pro,and iPod Nano 7th Generation

5.0 out of 5 stars Cosy Kindle, 5 Oct. 2011
This is the perfect protection for the Kindle.
Easy to secure and remove and at a price that is hard to beat.
Tastefull colours too!

Wishing Well: The Collection
Wishing Well: The Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes , you do need another Free compilation!, 8 April 2011
Ok ,so maybe the cover caught your eye or you were thinking this was an Anthology repackaged..?
Well,I don`t know if the esteemed David Clayton,who wrote the insert notes, chose the set-list, but if he did,hats off to you sir!
I have numerous best of free collections and they all offer something different.Well maybe not the Bob Clearmountain remix (drenched in reverb cos he must do his remixing up a clear mountain!).
Wishing Well ,the Collection has exemplary sound,is cheap and chock full ,over two discs ,of tunes to grab your heart and head.Probably other wobbly bits too,if you must wig out to Alright Now!
Sunny Day, Child,Soon I will be gone,Love you so,Bodie and the Stealer with the ending, jaw-dropping notes for Koss`s finale,clearly inspired by his reaction to the inner cd tray photo of him ,lion`s mane hair and chain knitted tank top-but seriously,if you play guitar at any level, I defy you to recreate the last few minutes of the Stealer.Kossoff catharsis at it`s finest.
All in all ,this collection holds together wonderfully, as it is sequenced with thought and soul.

It has the feel of meeting someone you loved and lost walking slowly past you, just one last time.Life is Free. Here is your Magic Ship, if you care to go on a trip.
Phil,Forever Free.

Too Little, Too Late
Too Little, Too Late

5.0 out of 5 stars joy division meets nirvana...before the beginning...., 18 Sept. 2010
This has something special.... just try it ....full album next , please....plus live stuff...I hear Nick Drake too ...betcha too young to know....Too Little ,Too Late?...lots more ,before long!!!!

DIGIFLEX Wireless Internet USB Adaptor WiFi Dongle For Windows 2000/XP/Vista(32-Bit)/Windows 7

5.0 out of 5 stars don`t dangle buy this dongle!, 16 Jan. 2010
Swift neat and faultless product. Stuck the dongle in, ignored instructions on cd (come on, I`m a guy, we don`t do instructions!) up and running in minutes!

P.S.

And it works so well,I ordered another from this very reliable firm(but I can`t review the same product twice.)

Liverpool Eric's - all the best clubs are downstairs, everybody knows that...
Liverpool Eric's - all the best clubs are downstairs, everybody knows that...
by Jaki Florek

5.0 out of 5 stars All the best books are written by those who were there!!, 12 April 2009
Well, this is the business!!
The book is the size of a yellow pages and crammed with pix and tales of the Liverpool bands (and imported turns) from the late 70s who made Erics such a magical place.
It is a labour of love and took several years to complete - a testiment to Jaki and Paul and will provide hours of time-warping fun- my band is on page 415-god we look so earnest - but I would buy it regardless,as it represents the lost harmony that comes with that rare sense of `right place right time`-everyone `belonged`...well maybe not Brian May..?-and is a reminder of how things should be.
Buy it -buy it-buy it!!

Paul's Blues
Paul's Blues

5.0 out of 5 stars flashback -pre` tons of sobs`, 28 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Paul's Blues (Audio CD)
This is the long awaited collection of jams featuring kossoff in the early days when he was a wee boy.
There is a fire and passion that shines thru-firmly placing him shoulder to shoulder with Clapton and Greeny when they were proper guitarists!
Piece of history!