Profile for middletails > Reviews

"middletails"

It's Never Easy Being Cheesy
It's Never Easy Being Cheesy

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Scooch..., 25 Jan. 2004
I think one might be embarassed to take this CD up the counter at your local HMV, but I didn't have to do that...
It's a decent album, your typical catchy, cheesy pop music, but that's what it's marketed to be. Some songs are good here and those are the ones were written by legendary pop songwriter Mike Stock of Stock/Aitken/Waterman fame. Not bad, but really, get rid of that dreadful version of 'Ghostbusters'!!!!

The Beatles: 1
The Beatles: 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Number one, but does that mean it's the best?, 29 April 2001
This review is from: The Beatles: 1 (Audio CD)
I don't know about the rest of the world, but if you are a die-hard Beatles fan, you would have the majority of the songs already. Nonetheless, it is still a nice addition to your already large Beatles collection. Also a nice collection of songs for casual Beatles fans who wish not to purchase all their albums. While this is not a great reflection of all their works, it still demonstrates who the greastest Rock n' Roll band of all time is.

This Is Where I Came in
This Is Where I Came in
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Mmm...not bad at all...., 29 April 2001
This review is from: This Is Where I Came in (Audio CD)
This CD, the follow up to 'Still Waters' in 1997 is certainly different than what they have put out in the past. None the less, the album is a great addition to your CD collection. While some of the songs stuck me as being unusually different than their catchy upbeat/funky tunes so prominant on ESP and High Civiliation, 'Technicolor Dreams' is undoubtly the best track with 'Walking on Air' coming up a close second. Give the brothers another gold medal for a job well done! :)

Whenever You Need Somebody
Whenever You Need Somebody

5.0 out of 5 stars The Red-Haired Brit with the Booming Voice!, 24 Mar. 2001
This is a great S/A/W produced album with top ten hits such as Together Forever and Never Gonna Give you up. While these two songs can be found on many SAW compilations as well as any 80's compilation, the rest of the album is brillant! The production is typical S/A/W fare, but you have to admit, their sound is very unique. Add that together with Rick's great voice and you have yourself a hit album!

E S P
E S P
Offered by trec002

5.0 out of 5 stars Now this is REAL Bee Gees Music!, 24 Mar. 2001
This review is from: E S P (Audio CD)
This is neither disco nor is it depressing folk music. It is 80's music at its finest. And who can write music better than the Bee Gees? (other than Lennon/McCartney and Stock/Aitken/Waterman?) Very few! Catchy pop tunes have an adult contemporary sound to it, but overall it goes to show you that the Bee Gee's are no longer or never were a disco band.

I Wish I Was Me: The Autobiography
I Wish I Was Me: The Autobiography
by Pete Waterman

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sage of Pop Music gets his two cents in....., 24 Mar. 2001
...and that he does. In 259 pages that is. While Peter Waterman strikes me as being flamboyant and very opinionated, he can definately tell a good, fun story. He also speaks his mind. Yes that he does indeed. Now I wish he had mentioned about his musical relationship with Mike and Matt a little bit more instead of mentioning their names sporadically all over the book. Afterall, they were two-thirds of Stock/Aitken/Waterman. But despite that shortcoming, Waterman does provide a very entertaining view of the popular music industry and all their little quirks. Any SAW fan should enjoy this book.

This Is Where I Came In
This Is Where I Came In
Offered by dutchtoni

1.0 out of 5 stars My goodness, what hole did they write this from???, 24 Mar. 2001
This review is from: This Is Where I Came In (Audio CD)
We all know very well that the Bee Gees are one of the greatest composers of all time. I can say that with confidence. But every so often, even the best song writers write pure crap. Even John Lennon and Paul McCartney wrote absolute tripe. The Bee Gees are no exception.
After Still Waters, I was waiting, anticipating new material by the Brothers Gibb. What do we get? A song that sounds like something you would hear at a Lilith Fair Festival (in case you don't know what that is, it's a special event that travels all across Canada and performs, yes, whiney chick music and depressing folksy music).
Don't get me wrong, the Gibbs' vocals are fantastic on here, but this isn't something I'd want to hear in the car, in the office or even when I want to go jump off a ten storey building. It isn't worth my time or any one else's. It's dreadful. Here's hoping to a better quality follow up single.

Buzz
Buzz
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as Steptacular as Steptacular that's 'For Sure'!, 23 Mar. 2001
This review is from: Buzz (Audio CD)
I had high hopes for one of PWL's greatest pop bands. Now I have 'Buzz' a very mediocre CD with bland, generic sounding pop music. None of the tunes are particularly catchy and it goes to show you that while Topham and Twigg and Frampton (and the bunch of other people Peter Waterman has rounded up) are decent enough song writers, they can do much better than this! The best song was probably 'Better the Devil you Know', an old Kylie song from 1990. Even that is not as good as the original. I'll be waiting for a higher quality follow-up in the meantime. =|

Four Sure
Four Sure
Offered by hifi-media-store

5.0 out of 5 stars M & M at their finest!, 23 Mar. 2001
This review is from: Four Sure (Audio CD)
You can tell, just by listening to the first three tracks alone, that Stock and Aitken have not lost their touch. For Sure is probably the best track they've written in the last 10 years or so! Don't pass these guys up, just because they look like another typical pop band. The songs are high quality pop/dance music. And why should it be? Because they have been written by the pop gurus themselves. Bravo, Mike Stock, bravo, Matt Aitken, you deserve another gold medal to your mountain.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2017 6:29 PM BST