Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Chris Doyle" (London)

Dont Be A Cant
Dont Be A Cant
by Frank Bastow

5.0 out of 5 stars A wee cracker!, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Dont Be A Cant (Paperback)
This is a lovely little book, full of great ideas and pearls of wisdom, presented in a fresh and challenging way. Think you CANT read it? Yes you CAN! And should. Food for thought: tuck in.

Whatever Happened to Billy Parks
Whatever Happened to Billy Parks

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, convincing, intriguing, thought-provoking and very original, 24 Oct. 2013
This book was recommended to me and I wasn't sure how I would get on with it: the fateful night occurred before I was born, and I am only vaguely familiar with that era of football. But, football opened the door and I'm so glad I walked through. This was an immensely enjoyable book to read, a real page turner (I should say page flicker, as I read it on my phone).

It genuinely felt autobiographical... I even thought Billy Parks was a real man at first! It turns out this book has just been very well-researched, creating a character who seems so realistic and convincing. Then something strange happens and you can't wait to find out what's really going on.

There are plenty of flashbacks on the way, often sad, but mostly thought-provoking. Billy Parks is no hero, but you will be rooting for him, especially in the present day.

Yes, football is a major theme in this book. So, if you're a true fan, you will love reading it. But I honestly think you could read this book with no knowledge of football and still find this a very satisfying and intriguing tale. The writing is excellent, it flows wonderfully, even during the darkest moments. And, ultimately this is a book about life: discipline versus temptation, happiness and tragedy, free-will or fate... redemption?

I'll be thinking about this book for a long time, no doubt Billy Parks will turn up to illustrate a point I wish to make in future discussion.

Strongly recommended: enjoy!

Darwin's Doubt
Darwin's Doubt
by Stephen C. Meyer

5.0 out of 5 stars It helps if you are not an atheistic extremist..., 20 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Darwin's Doubt (Hardcover)
I have only just started this book, and I'm loving it already. It looks like this one is going to hurt any thinking atheist or devoted Darwinist. But I will say no more because you shouldn't review books that you haven't finished reading. And, John Kwok, you certainly shouldn't review books that you haven't even started reading!
Comment Comments (28) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2013 10:00 PM BST

Signature in the Cell: DNA and the Evidence for Intelligent Design
Signature in the Cell: DNA and the Evidence for Intelligent Design
by Stephen C. Meyer

5.0 out of 5 stars DNA (Despair now, atheists), 5 Jun. 2010
If the practice of science today was simply a matter of open-minded observation and unbiased experimentation guiding us to truths, then a book like this provides a strong basis for a good scientist to go out there and discover such truths. Sadly, things like money, politics and peer pressure are much stronger influences on the practice of science these days. That said, people like Dr Stephen Meyer are fighting to turn the tide and a book like this is a powerful weapon in that battle.

For the rest of us, there is more than enough here to safely conclude that DNA did not and could not make itself. Believers will welcome this cold hard fact... but despair now, atheists. The truths revealed by this book, in a manner that is logical, rational and irrefutable will bring a chill to your soul (if you have any understanding). Of course, you do actually need to read the book in the first place. And definitely do this BEFORE reviewing it.

I should also add that 'Signature in the Cell' is an excellent resource on the subject of DNA. Reading about the history of its discovery was absolutely fascinating. Reading about some of the latest discoveries we are making was literally jaw-dropping (like the fact that gene splicing and recombination massively increases the amount of genes that DNA can produce).

For all but the most determined atheists, with any interest in DNA or any interest in the Intelligent Design movement this is essential reading. If you need any more persuading, just check out some of the negative reviews: if people can be that angry and hurt by a book they have not even read, there must be something important going on.