Profile for Bakaralph > Reviews

Content by Bakaralph

Bakaralph

Page: 1 | 2
Strict Tempo! (2014 New Edition)
Strict Tempo! (2014 New Edition)
Offered by Softbayglobal

2.0 out of 5 stars I listened to it once and thought what boring music. And, 10 Jun. 2016
Not my cup of tea. A friend gave it to me, I listened to it once and thought what boring music. And, I do like Richard Thompson: Pour Down Like Silver is wonderful. I can't believe the other reviews on Amazon for this. If you want interesting global folk music try The Carnival Band.

Captain Corelli's Mandolin
Captain Corelli's Mandolin
by Louis De Bernières

3.0 out of 5 stars great descriptive writing, 27 May 2016
From the historical and cultural perspectives I learnt a lot. De Berniéres writes well about the island where the novel is mostly set: one can almost smell and feel the place, great descriptive writing. He taught me a lot about the Italian, German and British involvement in Greece during the second world war. However, as a work of fiction it is not so good. He builds up his characters and then lets them disappear from the storyline, to occasionally reappear or not, based, it seems, on the writer's whim. Thus the plot suffers along with its characters. The book could have been cut by about a hundred pages and the essential elements would not have suffered. It's a pity no one pointed out to him that you cannot suddenly kill off your main characters without the narrative suffering. So there we have it: a flawed work of fiction. What bothers me is why did all those critics rave about it?

Locatelli: Concerti Grossi
Locatelli: Concerti Grossi

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful performance., 4 May 2016
Good price and good performance. Locatelli wrote some wonderful and compelling music, the performers here do the music justice. At this price, it is thoroughly recommended.

Roman Warfare (CASSELL'S HISTORY OF WARFARE)
Roman Warfare (CASSELL'S HISTORY OF WARFARE)
by Adrian Keith Goldsworthy

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good short introduction to the the subject, 6 Jan. 2016
A concise history of the rise of Rome and its army. Well written and well researched. The illustrations and maps were particularly useful. For more detailed analyses of the subject Goldsworthy provides a good bibliography. It is a volume I can recommend to the general reader. It certainly destroys a lot of myths I had about the Romans.

On Chesil Beach
On Chesil Beach
by Ian McEwan

4.0 out of 5 stars Vintage McEwan, 30 Dec. 2014
This review is from: On Chesil Beach (Paperback)
A cleverly constructed novel that has an unexpected ending. With McEwan as a guide one is led deep into a vivid psychological world, a world that describes beautifully what it is to be a young male and a young female. Through the two main characters the author captures almost exactly the life and pulse of Britain in the fifties and early sixties. The finale is powerful and, to my mind, concludes what has gone on before to a sad but satisfying conclusion.

Hallucinations
Hallucinations
by Oliver Wolf Sacks

5.0 out of 5 stars because Oliver Sacks is a superb communicator and has great knowledge of the subject, 28 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Hallucinations (Paperback)
How do we see the world? What is visual perception? Can we believe our vision? Do we sometimes hallucinate? All these questions are approached and considered in this book, and, because Oliver Sacks is a superb communicator and has great knowledge of the subject, we end up with some stimulating ideas on what it is be human and alive in this world. Through many case studies and through some honest self-examination Sacks shows us that to hallucinate does not necessarily mean that we are abnormal and different from others. After reading this stimulating book, I felt as if I had a better understanding of the human condition. Thank you, Mr. Sacks.

Gumshoe [DVD] [2010]
Gumshoe [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Albert Finney
Offered by dvdGOLD

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to scratch, 16 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Gumshoe [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I expected to like this a lot, but it came across as trying to be too cool. The dialogue was a little too smart and fast, so hard to understand. And the story didn't make much sense. I think it was a waste of much acting talent. I wonder what Albert Finney thinks of it?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2016 4:08 PM GMT

Chopin - 4 Ballades / Piano Works
Chopin - 4 Ballades / Piano Works

4.0 out of 5 stars I just loved the way he hit the keys in Ballade No ..., 16 Sept. 2014
His understanding of Chopin hit the spot for me. His tempi and feeling are about right for me. I just loved the way he hit the keys in Ballade No 1. I wonder what Chopin would think of his playing?

Satie: Piano Music
Satie: Piano Music

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite my cup of tea, 16 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Satie: Piano Music (Audio CD)
His interpretation of the music is not the same as mine. Perhaps he needs to be a bit more dynamic in his interpretation of Satie's music.

The Invention of the Jewish People
The Invention of the Jewish People
by Shlomo Sand

4.0 out of 5 stars Tour de Force, 4 Oct. 2013
An important book that shows the forced Jewish exile from the land that today is called Israel to be nothing more than a myth. Unfortunately, this myth is being exploited by the present day authorities in Israel and by their supporters in the West. The book argues conclusively that the original people of the Holy Land are, in fact, the Palestinians. According to the book, the Jewish immigrants to Israel are mostly people who converted to the Jewish religion from parts of Eastern Europe, plus some immigrants originally from North Africa, again who converted to Judaism. I wish, however, that the book was better written. The writer has a somewhat ponderous writing style, and would have benefitted from a good editor. It is my guess that between 30 to 40% of the text could have been cut without losing the book's basic message.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2014 11:49 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2