Profile for Doha > Reviews

(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Panasonic RP-DJS150E-R Fully Folding DJ Style Headphone
Panasonic RP-DJS150E-R Fully Folding DJ Style Headphone

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact folding headphones with good performance, 23 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are compact headphones that deliver on their promise, and as an added plus, come in totally frustration-free packaging. It folds neatly down the centre, and the ears fold up to nest inside. It's quite sturdy, but it's a shame that the plastic of the red detailing about the ears looks cheap, when the quality it actually pleasantly good. The cable is a bit shorter than is convenient -- an extra 10-20 cm would have given you more freedom of movement, but again, it's made up for by being really secure - no wires will be slipping out of their casing, with everything insulated in a single run, with a flexible jack. I use my headphones at home, but it's sometimes as loud as outside, and I find the sound integrity holds up well. Since I don't use them for music, I can't comment on that, but I prefer their performance to a previous pair (Hednoise, I think). It's crisper and clearer overall.

The folding feature solves one of my main problems with earphones, since they become very easy to carry around -- I have problems with in-ear 'phones, but my bigger ones are so unwieldy to carry around. This is a pretty good answer!

Rexel JOY 75 mm A4 Lever Arch File - Pretty Pink
Rexel JOY 75 mm A4 Lever Arch File - Pretty Pink

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and strong, 18 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sturdy and strong lever-arch file, which also locks shut really securely. It has a textured cover (not really a fan of that, tbh), and the production quality it excellent. I still find them overpriced, but it's a really nice product.

Cetaphil 473 ml Moisturising Lotion
Cetaphil 473 ml Moisturising Lotion
Offered by Medideals

4.0 out of 5 stars Moisture-locking and non-greasy, 13 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have sensitive, dry skin and a squillion allergies smattered with occasional eczema. It definitely works, but in smell and feel, this lotion is a lot like Aqueous Cream. Although it is non-scented, it does smell medicinal to me (some other reviewers have said the opposite - individual difference, I suspect).

I tend to slather on Doublebase when I'm in the middle of an allergic reaction to relieve the tight itch, and while it's wonderfully soothing, it's also very greasy (more suitable for a family member with perennial eczema). Cetaphil absorbs very easily and doesn't leave an oily top layer, which I find a big plus. For serious eczema sufferers, I'd say it would be better to get a sample size and try it, because how well it works/how much you like it will vary according the the individual. For my family member who's tried everything in the book when it comes to managing her eczema, she didn't dare to change from what's been working for her (Doublebase and SOS bodywash) even though I really tried to convince her!

Rexel JOY 25 mm 2D Ring Binder - Lovely Lime
Rexel JOY 25 mm 2D Ring Binder - Lovely Lime

3.0 out of 5 stars Serviceable but overpriced, 13 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not sure what recommends this over its more economy counterparts, and the slightly-grubby-from-shelf-wear condition I received it in perfectly illustrates what I don't like about the textured cover material. It's lightweight, which is a plus, and the inner-side of the rings is straight (instead of round), which is nice for stopping the ringbinder-bulge, but does make turning the pages fiddlier than it needs to be. It doesn't hold as much as a normal binder, either.

Overall, it's a serviceable binder if you get it for free, but at a fiver, I'm much happier with the ~£1 ones I got from my local Wilko's, which are sturdier and have a better finish.

Igenix Liteway LW0538 Bayonet Cap Energy Saving LED GLS Lamp 6 W
Igenix Liteway LW0538 Bayonet Cap Energy Saving LED GLS Lamp 6 W
Offered by BestBuyUk

4.0 out of 5 stars Warm, white and bright, 9 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This bulb goes to full brightness immediately, and like others have noted, it does seem closer to a 60w output than 40, but that's fine for me since I'm using it in my desk-lamp. The light is warm white, and it's surprisingly small (not a drawback!). Not much else to say, except that I'm perfectly happy with it!

Ultrasport Women's Padded Thermal Long Running Trousers with Quick-Dry Function - X-Large, Black/Yellow

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight with lots of functionality for exercising, 4 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is definitely for the colder weather - these running tights pack a surprising number of features into such a lightweight piece of kit.
- zips open to the calf; necessary to get your feet through the skinny leg! You can wear it unzipped and rolled-up if you like.
- feels very compact and comfortable when zipped in, the wide waistband is also comfortable and doesn't dig into the stomach
- the inside-side is fleece, while the outside is the expected lycra/nylon of exercise gear, but the weave and stitch quality is really excellent. It packs you in very nicely so nothing flops or pops!
- the moisture-wicking and fast-dry qualities are excellent (two sides of the same coin, pretty much) -- it takes a very short time to dry after washing

I don't wear them outside because I work out indoors (cycling and kickboxing), so I can't say if they hold up differently outside. I can say that I feel *more* flexible and free to move in them than in my normal workout gear. Like a superhero suit? I can also see me dual-purposing these just to keep me warm in winter under another pair of trousers!

Eylure Defining and Shaping Brow Crayon, Dark Brown
Eylure Defining and Shaping Brow Crayon, Dark Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Zero smudge; very dark colour, 4 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like this brow crayon - to be honest, I was a little worried it would be too light (my brows are black), but it's a very dark brown and fills in nicely. Because of its lightly waxy texture, it's good for sort of grooming your brow into shape as well. I'm happy to testify it didn't smudge one bit -- I forgot I put it on and ferociously rubbed my eyes throughout the day (the brows took the brunt force), and my face stayed perfectly clean.

It's a mechanical-pencil affair -- a plastic body with a rotating head, so you screw the nib out -- it makes application just a tiny bit awkward because it turns very easily. It's not a big deal, but just so you're aware. The navy-blue body was a surprise (was I going to have blue eyebrows?), but when I tested it on my hand, it was almost black. You might want to avoid this shade if your brows are a mid or light brown, unless you want to go that dark.

Good pencil, overall -- happy with it!

Leading Man
Leading Man
by Benjamin Svetkey

2.0 out of 5 stars No, 25 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Leading Man (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm hovering between two and three stars (2.5?). I really want to like this book but I really don't. It was actually the reviews here that got me excited, but I should have followed by instinct to avoid it. I enjoy a good romance with a dash of glamour and realism, but Leading Man just feels like an exercise in navel-gazing where over a hundred pages in, I just want to smack the boy who refuses to get over his first love. IT'S OVER, DEAL WITH IT ASFK ASDGJ DFGA

BISSELL Multi-Reach 2-in-1 Light Weight Cordless Vacuum with 18 V Lithium-Ion 90 W - Orange

3.0 out of 5 stars Good vac for light jobs, 25 Jun. 2015
The skinny:
- cordless makes it really, really versatile
- it has an actual built-in removable hand-vac
- very easy to empty
- very easy to charge
- very flexible
- it folds in half for easy storage

I've been using it for a little while, and I'm still not too sure about it. Initially, I thought it picked up a lot of dirt and maintained its suction well, as long as you emptied the cup regularly. I think it might be unfair for me to judge it against my heavy-duty Henry, so let me call it a quick-clean vac, best for light jobs rather than thorough deep-cleans. It's really nice for upholstery, furniture and tight corners, especially with the handvac, and it's sleek and pretty. I like it a lot, but I don't think it's got the cajones for intensive and heavy use. I have thick carpets and wooden floors, and it doesn't take much off the carpet that I can see. If there's fluff on it, it stays on it. As for the wooden floors, they do better with a soft broom. Or Henry. I love you, Henry.

Storm and Stone: Struck
Storm and Stone: Struck
by Joss Stirling

3.0 out of 5 stars A little flat, 25 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Storm and Stone is the story of Raven Stone, an orphaned American girl who comes to live with her grandad in an English boarding school. Weird things start to happen, like her best friend-and-roomie vanishing, and then turning up with a personality transplant. Enter two new boys, who are young detectives in disguise. Raven becomes friends with them, and stuff with the school gets weirder and more dangerous. But at the same time as surviving the crazy, she also has to take A-levels.

Since this won an award for romance and I've heard lots of good things about Joss Stirling, I was excited to read it, but I'm disappointed. The book does a good job of balancing the mundane trials of a sixth-former with the deepening mystery, but the romance felt flat and a little insipid, the dialogue was awkward, and nothing about the plot really felt novel - it's all something I've read before, that's been written before, and not much makes it different.

BUT there is one thing that makes it different that IS worth talking about from a diversity standpoint: the main character is black, and the cover (wait, did they change the cover?) reflects it. I dig that a lot, and it's a good trend to see more representation in mainstream fiction.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16