Profile for S. O'CONNOR > Reviews

Content by S. O'CONNOR

S. O'CONNOR "elysia_nymph" (England)

To Pimp A Butterfly
To Pimp A Butterfly
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars This album is different., 28 Sept. 2015
This review is from: To Pimp A Butterfly (Audio CD)
Music that takes a few listens, that's not instantaneous, tends to stick with you. If something hits me instantly, great - I'll rinse it for a few months and then probably forget about it - like a sandwich toaster. When I first listened to this album it was a bit overwhelming, with everything going on, and it's so weird - especially for a mainstream rap artist. I listened to it once, and was just about ready to listen again but left it for a while. When I went back to it, it was as fresh as the first time because there was plenty I'd missed.

I listen to a lot of weird music because I like not being able to work out what the song is going to do next. Kendrick Lamar has made an unpredictable album - which takes some balls in this industry. I've taken a lot from this album. Easily my favourite of 2015 so far.

DiCAPac WP-410 Underwater Case
DiCAPac WP-410 Underwater Case
Offered by #DigiCamCase#

3.0 out of 5 stars Check the tele zoom length!, 1 Sept. 2015
It doesn't fit my camera (Sony Cybershot WX350). I'm by no means an expert, so checked the dimensions but not the tele zoom length. The case itself seems to be of excellent quality. I will be returning mine and replacing it with another model of case.

Blood Red Road (Dustlands)
Blood Red Road (Dustlands)

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this!, 29 April 2014
My friend finished Hunger Games and wanted another book, so I gave her my copy of this. She loves it. Makes you want a crow and a horse :P But really, the world is so well described I got lost to it for a couple of days. It also stuck with me for a while after. Would definitely recommend to fans of YA dystopian futures with strong female leads.

Rebel Heart (Dustlands)
Rebel Heart (Dustlands)

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this series, 29 April 2014
After reading 'Hunger Games' I wanted another set of books with a bad-a** heroine - and Moira Young provided that series. Saba is strong, brave and flawed - refreshingly multi-faceted. In fact, I loved how well all the characters were written, both in this book and its predecessor. Give it a read if you want the same thing.

True Detective - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
True Detective - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Woody Harrelson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, 29 April 2014
I'm not going to go into much detail at all, but will say that I was wary of the buzz surrounding True Detective prior to eventually giving in and watching it. I started watching and was hooked. People have said that it's slow, but that's what's captivating about it. It's beautifully shot, acted and I've recommended it to almost everyone I've spoken to about it. McConaughey is a revelation and I love Harrelson in most films anyway. Give it a go.

Raging Star (Dustlands 3)
Raging Star (Dustlands 3)
by Moira Young

5.0 out of 5 stars The final installation in the Dust Lands trilogy did not disappoint, 29 April 2014
I just finished this book and absolutely loved it. Despite all the 'If you liked Hunger Games you'll love this' comments I've seen banded about and on the front cover, I actually preferred this trilogy. I felt it was more consistent in terms of pacing and the ending of 'Raging Star' was much more satisfying and well-planned (and less rushed!) than Hunger Games closer 'Mockingjay'.

I was worried that it would fall foul of the difficult third act - but Young had clearly planned the structure carefully. Also, her world-building is amazing - Silverlake, Hopetown, Freedom Fields and New Eden were painted so vividly. I couldn't put it down. I'd recommend for fans of the Hunger Games trilogy and for anyone looking for a series of books with a realistically conceived heroine.

*WARNING: SPOILERS*

Initially, I thought what happened to Emmi to be unnecessary - but I think that was just because it made me so sad. Thinking about it afterwards, it had to happen in order for the chain of events following it to occur. Perhaps more could have been made of Emmi, Auriel Tai could have said something a bit more in depth about her part in the rebellion - and Saba could have reflected more on what she'd contributed. I guess she was always more in tune with Lugh though, she loved Emmi but too late.

Also, totally did not think it was Lugh who betrayed Saba. Ever since Saba and Jack were reunited after the explosion at Resurrection, outside the old Wrecker place, I'd thought it was Tommo. The revelation about Tommo's father was not a surprise, but I liked the way it was used in terms of story development.

The Muppet Christmas Carol [DVD]
The Muppet Christmas Carol [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Caine
Offered by DVD Overstocks

1.0 out of 5 stars Missing key scene - When Love Is Gone, 8 July 2012
Don't know why they would bother releasing a version missing a key song! Sort it out. This film is a Christmas tradition in my house and everybody noticed it was missing this scene.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2015 7:28 PM GMT