Profile for Narcho > Reviews

Human
Human
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure that always takes me by surprise!, 30 April 2010
This review is from: Human (Audio CD)
I shuffle my songs. So many times when a song from this album comes on, I have found myself thinking "wow, this is really good, who is this?" It's because the Human encompasses such a range of styles and guest artists that it seems always re-discovered. It's a very organic album in the sense that the songwriting is at the focus, and the fusion of diverse ethnic influences fit naturally in the service of the song. With many "ethnic-fusion" artists, it seems to me they are just opening the drawer labelled "eclectic and obscure instruments" and emptying the contents on the table. They just throw in a digideroo, a doudouk, tabla and uilleann pipes like they're making a salad. On Human, Sawhney is making good songs, first and foremost, and exposing his asian roots secondly. Not nearly as electronica as some of his other albums. Highly recommended.

Codependent's Guide to the Twelve Steps: How to Find the Right Programme for You
by Melody Beattie

5.0 out of 5 stars The most hard won tool in life: letting go, 27 Jun. 2009
It's amazing how many times over the last 15 years I've recommended this book because the skill it teaches is so very essential to managing so many of the most difficult emotions to cope with: grief, jealousy, revenge, anger, etc. I was given this book by an older woman I was CRAZY in love with, right before she dumped me! Well, I was young and, as the choice of words in the previous sentence indicates, I had no skills to cope with a very normal life event: lovers leave. I couldn't stop calling her, dreaming about her, going round to her house, etc. Realizing, despite myself, that I needed help, I started reading the book and the very painful process of learning to let go. I think quitting smoking was a walk in the park by comparison. As guys, we always think we can fix things, control outcomes, manage the situation, win the battle. Rarely do we learn to detach, release, and find peace that some things are just out of our hands. I learned these skills and was able to let go of, in life's big picture, a comparatively insignificant little fling (wonderful lady, but an insignificant fling nevertheless). A few months later my father died. And in hindsight now I realize that, had I not learned these skills of letting go, I might not have survived losing my dad. Life taught me with the training wheels on first - letting go of a summer lover - in preparation for one of life's really tough ones, grieving over a beloved parent. The skill of letting go is perhaps one of the greatest emotional survival tools we have, because, as life shows us, spouses leave, pets get run over, milk gets spilled. The trick is learning to react to these events in a way so your world doesn't come crashing down too. I haven't read Beattie's book in years, don't even own a copy any longer. But today I'm recommending it to a friend who can't let go of jealousy. The tools she needs are in this book. Thanks Melody (and thanks beautiful J for giving me the tool to get over you).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2015 7:54 PM BST