Profile for Glockdan > Reviews

Glockdan "dannyev"

Weekender
Weekender
Dvd

3.0 out of 5 stars A fairly enjoyable romp but no real depth to the storyline, 4 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Weekender (DVD)
I can see what they were trying to do with this film but the storyline had a bit of an amateurish feel to it and there was a lack of depth to the characters. It appeared to be set in Manchester but there was something of a dearth of genuine Mancunians amongst the characters! Either that or the accents were bad. Without giving the storyline away too much a couple of likeable young scallies who are ravers at the weekend decide with a group of close friends to start their own events - referencing the early days of illegal warehouse parties etc. There are ups and downs on their journey and they get caught up with a variety of characters along the way. That's where the story starts to break down a bit - there's just not enough of a genuine feel to any of the characters, no back story or depth to them. It doesn't feel believable. That said, the film's got a bit of charm and there are some classic tunes on there even if their chronology is questionable. A film that starts with Kariya's 'Let Me Love You For Tonight' and ends with SL2's 'DJs Take Control' will put a smile on the face of genuine ravers who were there in the day - but, yeah I'm talking to you Terry Farley :-p - the film is set in 1990 so including Gat Decor's 'Passion' and Golden Girls' 'Kinetic' (the best tune on the soundtrack imo) is stretching it a bit as they didn't pop up for couple of years after in reality. I was also puzzled as to the direction the film was going in when an ousted DJ is aghast at 'harder' music. Acid House itself was at the centre of the scene (yet missing from this film) and was just as hard imo as 'Mentasm' which was the 'harder' track talked about. I also noticed a strange inconsistency with the film which was quite happy to continually reference class A drug use, yet was at pains not to have any real sex or violence in the film - which it actually needed to provide depth to the storyline because it would have been relevant. In summary? This isn't a particularly genuine showing of what the rave scene was like, yet it's a lo-fi enjoyable film nonetheless. Don't watch it expecting to 'find out what it was like back in the day' if you're a young clubber, nor will you be transporting back to your days of getting right on one with your white gloves if you're 40(ish) *coughs* with real authenticity. Good tunes though - cheers.

Orisa (Atjazz Astro Dub Remix)
Orisa (Atjazz Astro Dub Remix)

5.0 out of 5 stars The record of the year, 28 Jun. 2012
Haha! If you know Atjazz you won't need to be told anything about this track or Mr. Ivesen himself. It's almost pointless me writing this because those that know, know and those that don't only need to listen to one of his tracks once to get hooked in. This track encapsulates exactly where he's at nowadays and he lets loose in the full with the complex latin-inspired drum patterns. This truly is a masterpiece of a remix - tapping in to every sinew of rhythm that's deep inside you and you can't help but move along to it whatever you're doing. You might be familiar with the earlier Atjazz remix of Orisa which itself is a beautiful record, but this is something quite different - harder, edgier, haunting and infectious. This is pure Atjazz in full teeth-gnashing flow. True ge ni us. My record of the year so far (closely followed by Karizma's remix of Akabu's Heatwave on Mars but that's another story ;-) )

Edifier M1380 Home Audio Speaker
Edifier M1380 Home Audio Speaker
Offered by trendy-tronics

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 28 Jun. 2012
Being well into music, I gave these an audition in PC World along with various other PC speaker set-ups, taking my ipod into the store and spending around 30 minutes unplugging leads etc. much to the annoyance of staff and other customers ;-) It's the only way to do it - you've got to audition with your own ears with your own music. By and large I listen to House music, Broken Beats/Nu-Jazz and some rock and indie thrown in. I was pretty pleased with the sound in the store - the clincher being that they were half price - so bought two sets...one for my bedroom, the others for my PC. I excitedly opened the box and the unit looks pretty neat and 'clean-lined'. All a bit plasticky but hey, what do you expect? Some speakers cost thousands... Set it all up - even getting the positioning right for decent imaging. Connected up ipod and stood in exactly the right places.... ah, not so good. I think my problem is I'm judging them against my old Trust 2.1 speaker/sub set-up which also cost around £40 and sound absolutely fantastic (my car audio system is some £2K's worth so I am pretty fussy). A big problem with this Edifier M1380 is the sub just can't go anywhere near low enough to begin to represent how certain songs were intended, but the BIGGEST problem is just that, overall, the sound is very 'thinned out' and not warm or enriching enough. Ironically, they do sound pretty good with rock music but it was only when I started to go through the soulful House stuff they were shown up. If you like your bass, don't bother with these. The treble is fairly gentile and faithful but the mids are lacking. To summarise - 'MEH!'. I wish the volume control on my Trusts wasn't worn out! I'm going to plump for the latest well-reviewed Trust 2.1 £50 set instead. If you've got a bit more money, go for the Harman Kardon Soundsticks because I've got them elsewhere in the house and for £100 they're fantastic. Good luck.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much exactly what you'd expect, 9 Sept. 2011
We fit around 50 medium-large cupcakes on the stand. It's good quality thick card, although it will absorb a bit of grease from whatever food is sat on it so you'll only be able to use it twice really (we used it for our son's 7th birthday party). 'Twice?' I hear you say. You can dismantle, turn the four 'shelves' over and reassemble because the card's thick enough that the grease marks don't appear on the other side. Did the job well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2013 12:11 AM BST

MaxiNutrition Cyclone Strength and Power Bars - Chocolate, 60 g, Box of 12
MaxiNutrition Cyclone Strength and Power Bars - Chocolate, 60 g, Box of 12
Offered by ReactNutrition

1.0 out of 5 stars Cardboard tastes better, 2 July 2010
I'm a dedicated Maximuscle MRP bar fan - but stick to Promax Meal and Promax Diet if you actually possess taste buds. Because I'd always liked the taste of their bars, I actually bulk bought 36 Cyclone bars once......what followed was several weeks of abject torture. The taste is indescribably bad - so much so it became a standing joke in my office as everyone would gather round to enjoy my various facial grimaces as I ate them. One day, I made the claim 'I bet cardboard would taste better' - so you know what happened next don't you? I tore off the corner of a box and ate the cardboard - and it DID. Awful, awful, dreadful stuff. Not fit for slugs. Conversely, the Cyclone shakes aren't TOO bad.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2012 2:06 PM GMT