Profile for Greybeard > Reviews

Content by Greybeard

Greybeard "Greybeard" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
NETGEAR D7000-100UKS Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band 600 + 1300 Mbps Wireless (Wi-Fi) VDSL/ADSL Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (BT Infinity, YouView, TalkTalk, EE and Plusnet Fibre)

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Broadband, weaker WiFi, 5 Jun. 2016
I am on a copper TalkTalk line, about 3.7 km from the exchange. Theory says I should be able to get 5 Mbps ADSL sync speed. I was using a TalkTalk DLink 3780 router, but suffering from masses of dropouts on the broadband line and typically getting about 4 Mbps sync. The Netgear D7000 has not got any more speed but my broadband is now rock solid with no dropouts.

Its WiFi coverage is not quite as good as the DLink it replaced but the 2.4 GHz is perfectly adequate to cover a modest 3 bed detached. I was very disappointed in the 5.0 GHz coverage. That is unusable at about 10 m where the 2.4 GHz is still full speed.

Unlike the Dlink the D700 allows me to define MAC-based access for all my wireless devices (about 15).

The router appears solid and stylish. It was easy to install using the web-based interface. There is a Windows-based Genii program and an Android Genii app. I would ignore them completely. They bring nothing to the party. The web interface is far superior.

Temple of the Jaguar (Nick Caine Book 1)
Temple of the Jaguar (Nick Caine Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars third rate indiana jones, 30 May 2016
gave up about thirty pages in. i would have hated to have paid for it. really no more to be said about it

Silent Scream: An edge of your seat serial killer thriller (Detective Kim Stone Crime Thriller Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 8 May 2016
good tale with interesting characters
an excellent first book
and some more additional unnecessary words to make up twenty when all i wanted was to give it five stars

CDL Micro 0.5 m Gold Plated TV Aerial Cable (M-M) with Adapter (F-F) - Black
CDL Micro 0.5 m Gold Plated TV Aerial Cable (M-M) with Adapter (F-F) - Black
Offered by Bristol Communications & Electrical LTD - VAT Registered

5.0 out of 5 stars A good cable, 30 April 2016
A good cable

The Girl in the Ice: A gripping serial killer thriller (Detective Erika Foster Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Started off well but poor ending. Not well written, 29 April 2016
Started off well but poor ending. Not well written. I suspect english is not first language. Needed a thorough editing. There were many many errors where the plot was inconsistent.

EasyAcc Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 Smart Shell Case - Ultra Slim Lightweight Stand Cover with Auto Sleep/Wake Feature for Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 Tablet (9.7 Wi-Fi SM-T810 / LTE SM-T815)
Offered by EasyAcc.U Store

Acce2S Leather-Look Phone Case for SAMSUNG S5611 (Black)
Acce2S Leather-Look Phone Case for SAMSUNG S5611 (Black)
Offered by acce2s

3.0 out of 5 stars Well made case, 29 Jan. 2016
Well made, well-fitting case, but it is possible to inadvertently press phone keys through the case resulting in unwanted phone activity

PCTV Systems DVB-T2 292e nanoStick HD TV Tuner - Watch, Pause & Record Digital Freeview Hi Definition and Standard Definition TV on your PC.  Stream LIVE TV to your iPad, iPhone, PC.
PCTV Systems DVB-T2 292e nanoStick HD TV Tuner - Watch, Pause & Record Digital Freeview Hi Definition and Standard Definition TV on your PC. Stream LIVE TV to your iPad, iPhone, PC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality device, 10 Nov. 2015
I now have three of these devices connected to my media machine running Windows Media Centre. Unlike some other makes of tuner these device drivers are written correctly and multiple devices can be installed. I can simultaneously record three TV channels with absolutely no problems. They don't suffer from overheating problems and are totally reliable.

Digitus 0.25m Length A Male - 2x 10-Pin IDC USB Slot Bracket Cable
Digitus 0.25m Length A Male - 2x 10-Pin IDC USB Slot Bracket Cable

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, 10 Nov. 2015
Seems well made. Very easy to install and connect to the motherboard. Cheap way of getting an additional 4 USB2 sockets.

CPR Call Blocker V108 - 1000 Number Blocking - 200 Pre Programmed - Block All Unwanted Calls At The Touch Of A Button
Offered by CPR Call Blocker EU

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT to be used in conjunction with a fibre broadband line, 9 April 2015
I used to get a lot of spam calls. Then my carrier (Talktalk) offered a call-blocking service. That got rid of about half the problem. Then I got this device. I immediately used it to block 0, VOIP, number withheld and out of area calls. That reduced the number of unwanted calls to less than one a week. As soon as I get an unwanted call, I block it and I can never get called by them again.
If you are plagued by unwanted calls then this is simple and effective. I heartily recommend it.
The following comments added about three months later.
Firstly, it has dramatically reduced my unwanted calls to a fraction of what it was. But... There is a particularly obnoxious spammer who spoofs the system as 00 and 01. There is a catch 22 with these numbers. If I block these numbers the unit not only blocks 00 and 01 but everything starting with these digits. In other words no calls AT ALL originating in the UK and internationally. Not exactly what I would want. In my view this is a major design fault in the unit. I still would not be without it but there are ways for spammers to beat it leaving you with a residue of unblockable numbers.

Twelve months later the device has stopped working. It no longer recognizes the control codes or blocks previously blocked numbers. This was my second unit. The previous one never worked at all. I previously marked it as five stars but electronics that fails so quickly is really worth NO stars.

The spammers finally got the better of me and I got another of these units. It worked beautifully for a year or so. Unfortunately the spammers keep changing their numbers and so become impossible to block. Then I converted to fibre broadband and started to have major problems on my broadband line. After a month of intermittent slow broadband Openreach identified the callblocker as the problem. It shows as a fault on the line and with high speed broadband is enough to destabilise the line. I note that a few others have posted along the same lines. As soon as the callblocker was unplugged my broadband line went from 6M to 40M. I don't know if the problem is a single faulty unit or a design fault but judging from the Openreach engineer's comment they have seen this problem before.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11