Profile for Maggy Whitehouse > Reviews

Content by Maggy Whitehouse

Maggy Whitehouse "MaggyW" (Birmingham United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Goal Challenging: A Practical Guide To Finding And Achieving Your Goals
Goal Challenging: A Practical Guide To Finding And Achieving Your Goals

5.0 out of 5 stars A clear, practical and effective system for clearing mental and emotional blocks., 15 Oct. 2016
Don't be put off by the title—this is not a book about being a pushy business person or entrepreneur but about goals such as achieving health, happiness and good relationships; in fact all the basics of a fulfilling life.

Having said that, I've had a personal session on goal challenging with John about lifting the glass ceiling on my own success and that has been very effective too...

What I love about this book is how it pulls together so much known teaching (EFT, kinesiology, NLP etc) with a basic run-down of how our egos and psyches work and then offers a radically simple way of discovering what it is within you that is stopping you from achieving your goals.

If we keep trying to achieve something but there's an inner block insisting 'you don't deserve that' or 'you don't actually believe you can do that' then we simply won't get the results that we want. But using John Wadlow's Twelve Questions you can identify what's blocking you and then use the simple techniques described to clear them. So simple! And I can say, with hand on heart, it has worked for me and for many of my friends.

Some of the blocks we have cleared - both in individual sessions and using this book - are 'I'm not good enough', 'I don't deserve to be well,' 'I don't believe it's in the best interests of my family that I recover' and 'I don't believe I can ever be prosperous.'

Highly recommended.

Women and Religion in the First Christian Centuries
Women and Religion in the First Christian Centuries
by Deborah F. Sawyer

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine historical appraisal of women in religion., 15 Mar. 2016
I was given this book by a friend when I started researching the lives of women in the Bible, particularly in the early Christian era - and it has been my Bible ever since. Deborah Sawyer has covered all the bases - looking at the diverse lives of women in Jewish, Roman and Greek societies and her findings are both fascinating and enlightening.
It is almost impossible to understand the teachings of St. Paul on women without reference to research like this. Things were so different back then and yet they were also the same. Where women did not have official power, they had personal power. And even if they couldn't teach in a synagogue, they could be the president of that same synagogue.
Fascinating, well written and a vital part of the library of any serious Biblical scholar.

Jumpstart Your Entrepreneurial Spirit!
Jumpstart Your Entrepreneurial Spirit!
by Barbara J. Winter

5.0 out of 5 stars How to stay inspired if you're self-employed., 21 July 2015
This is such a helpful book for the 'small' entrepreneur - for those of us who are self-employed and need reminders to keep our eye on the ball. The ball is inspiration and Barbara has provided us with a lovely book to pick up and put down with short sections, helpful quotations and all kinds of ideas to keep our creative juices flowing and remind ourselves why we started this project in the first place.
I've had my copy for years and still enjoy both dipping into it and, about once a year, starting all over again from the beginning and feeling both comforted (Barbara has years of experience - she's not just sharing information) and uplifted.
It's a perfect book for the loo too!

The Extra Virgin Kitchen
The Extra Virgin Kitchen
by Susan Jane White

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written and very helpful, 31 Mar. 2014
I've been working on my diet for six months now, cutting out all sugar, gluten and most dairy (apart from sheep and goat) and this book has really helped. I bought it because of the chocolate-beetroot slump cake that was featured in Waitrose magazine.

What I really like is that it's realistic - you need to have treats and fun with food on a so-called restricted diet. It should feel like an adventure not a chore and that's what Susan teaches.

Her style of writing is lovely and amusing.

Speaking as a publisher, I think the font used is appalling! Yuk. But everything else is so good she's forgiven.

After a month I'm making my own granola, sugar-free brownies (hers have sugar but I substitute dates which makes the recipe chewier which I like), the family have enjoyed two chocolate cakes and my own recipes have been enhanced by suggestions that I've taken from hers.

Out Your ego
Out Your ego

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, practical, useful, 28 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Out Your ego (Kindle Edition)
This is a lovely book for dipping into when you want to take a moment to work out whether you're running on automatic and making unhelpful decisions. Staci has written it in 52 sections for dippers or for dealing with one chapter per week. Or, of course, you can read the lot at once. I'm a dipper but I do find myself reading three or four chapters at a time. It's revealing, doesn't take prisoners but is written with wry self-knowledge, personal stories, humour and great clarity. Highly recommended.

Freezer Companion
Freezer Companion
by Michelle Berriedale-Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Such lovely recipes, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Freezer Companion (Hardcover)
I've had this book for more than 25 years now and STILL I return to it for excellent recipes which can be frozen successfully.

They are adaptable - for example, her upside-down pear gingercake works even better with apples and becomes a treacle sticky toffee pudding when eaten hot.

I'm posting this review today because I've got a glut of strawberries and have been seeking on the internet for strawberry mousse recipes which can be frozen. After about half an hour I remembered Michelle - and yes, there is the perfect, simple recipe. What's more, I've used it before (yonks ago!) and it worked perfectly.

The book is obviously out of print but if you can get a copy for 1p plus postage it's money well spent. Considering the well-used battered copy in my bookshelf, I think I'd do well to get another myself

The Pagan Eden: The Assyrian origins of the Kabbalistic Tree of Life
The Pagan Eden: The Assyrian origins of the Kabbalistic Tree of Life
by Ian Freer

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and relevant, 21 Mar. 2013
Ian weaves a fascinating portrait of the ancient origins of the archetypical Tree of Life. I wondered if this would be an overly intellectual and dry book but it is engagingly written and well researched. A lovely way to find out about the universal symbols that colour our systems of faith through the ages. Highly recommended.

Patterns of Creation
Patterns of Creation
by Stephen Pope

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspirational labour of love, 19 July 2012
This review is from: Patterns of Creation (Paperback)
Steve Pope's book has been many years in the writing - I've been lucky to have known Steve for more than 20 years now and have attended some of his workshops. This has been a true labour of love.

The end result is more than worth it. Steve has taken the entire prologue of the Gospel of John and translated it in the mystical terms that most likely would have been used at the time (when the oral tradition was much stronger than the written one - 95% of people did not read or write).

Together with these beautiful translations, Steve has placed the teaching fairly and squarely in the 21st century, showing us how ancient wisdom is still valid in the modern world. He also includes simple meditations.

It shows that the teaching of Jesus (and the mystical teaching of the time) is all-embracing AND it shows it with Biblical text and translation. This is incredibly valuable in the modern world where the fundamentalist will quote the Bible at the spiritual believer. Without wishing to encourage 'Bible tennis' it is wonderful to have contemporary but clear alternative translations to work with.

The book takes a wider brief than just the prologue - giving a clear and concise view of the life and times of the people who wrote the Bible, and a sensible and not over-complicated guide to the Kabbalistic tradition.

I won't give it away, because the whole book is worth reading, but Steve's translation of Jesus' 'well-known phrase, 'I am the way the truth and the life...' made me go 'Yes!' and feel a tremendous sense of relief and joy.

Highly recommended.

Get Your Book Published: Teach Yourself
Get Your Book Published: Teach Yourself
by Katherine Lapworth

5.0 out of 5 stars A wise and thorough book, 18 May 2012
This book is a great help in a world where there are more than a million books published every year ... far more than the conventional market can bear. It will take you through the pitfalls of getting your work published externally and by yourself and gives good, sound common-sense advice.

Spirituality and Mental Health: A Handbook for Service Users, Carers and Staff Wishing to Bring a Spirtual Dimension to Mental Health Services
by Peter Gilbert

5.0 out of 5 stars The missing link, 30 Mar. 2012
I must admit I'd give my eye-teeth to be able to re-edit this book as the jewels it contains could shine even more brightly. However, it still deserves five stars for its mind-opening content and its clear acknowledgment of the importance of spirit in health. I also love the mix of philosophy, case studies, well-researched views and - yes - spirit.

The use of quotations about soul and spirit lift the text, changing its pace in a way that is very unusual in an academic work. Not only can we perceive the deep truths expressed but we are also kept entertained and uplifted. This is a style characteristic of Peter's workshop presentations and it is very attractive.

Peter Gilbert's own spiritual journey shines through, together with the stories of his companions. This book is highly recommended for anyone who cares in any way for someone with mental health issues. That spirituality is the often-forgotten missing link is clear. It is also clear that acknowleging spirit (rather than religion) in everyday care will both help explain many issues and give us more effective tools to be able to help.

As a hospice chaplain I welcome this book with open arms and I just hope its price won't put people off reading it. Perhaps an e-book version would be a very good idea?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3