Profile for Daphnie's Mum > Reviews

Content by Daphnie's Mum

Daphnie's Mum

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Gone Without A Trace: A brilliantly dark psychological thriller full of secrets and suspense

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 8 Jan. 2017
I read this book based on all the glowing reviews and my enjoyment of psychological thrillers. Sadly this is not really of that genre. What seems like a good idea for a story soon becomes boring - every time her phone rings or a text comes through, Hannah is convinced it is Matt. I just wanted to scream, "No it's not him you silly cow.". She is supposed to be an intelligent woman working in a responsible job but some of the things she does are just plain ridiculous.

I found this a turgid, tedious read with quite a silly ending. Two-thirds of the book consists of boring repetitive stuff with Hannah speculating over what has happened to Matt and the conclusion is very hurried and contrived.

Set of 6 Brown Embossed Leatherboard Placemats & 6 Coasters
Set of 6 Brown Embossed Leatherboard Placemats & 6 Coasters
Offered by Creative Tops

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent product, 12 Jan. 2016
Product arrived, as described, very quickly. Mats and coasters look nice and are decent value for what I paid. However, the packaging left a lot to be desired. They were not wrapped at all, just rattling around in a jiffy bag. For what I paid for P&P, I would have expected better.

Replacement Transparent/Frosted Glass tumbler/Soap Dish/Toilet Brush Cup Holder (Soap Dish(frosted))
Offered by SinjoTech

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 4 Dec. 2015
Great to be able to buy a replacement dish without new fixings. I actually bought 2, as I'm sure I'll break this one in the future.

Death of a Dissident: The Poisoning of Alexander Litvinenko and the Return of the KGB
by Alex Goldfarb

2.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, 25 Oct. 2015
I found this book really confusing. There were so many names of Russian men that I just couldn't remember who was who, despite having a description of each person at the start of the book. I only got about a third of the way through the book before I gave up - fed up of constantly having to flit back and forth to find out who each person was. I bought this book because I was interested in finding out more about the murder of Alexander Litvinenko, but felt it spent too much time setting the scene or what had happened beforehand.

Killed in Cornwall (The Cornish Mysteries Book 6)
Killed in Cornwall (The Cornish Mysteries Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great holiday read, 14 Aug. 2015
Read this on holiday. Not the most demanding read, but perfect for reading on my hotel balcony. I really took to the main character, Rose, and found the plot easy to follow, even though there were quite a lot of characters to remember. I have now downloaded some more of this series to read in the future.

Mission Mongolia: Two Men, One Van...No Turning Back
Mission Mongolia: Two Men, One Van...No Turning Back

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 14 Aug. 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Fun recount of a trip to Mongolia. I especially enjoyed the horror stories of some of the "hotels" they stayed in en route and some of the road conditions they had to put up with.

The Popes: A History
The Popes: A History

1.0 out of 5 stars Gave up on it, 17 Feb. 2015
I have a rule when reading books - if I don't get into it by the third chapter, I give up. Unfortunately this was the case with The Popes. In reviews this sounded like a really good book. giving an easy to read history of the papacy through the ages - something I am interested in. However I found this to be really boring, consisting of endless descriptions of people and their deeds. Some were popes, some were rulers of countries - by the end of the few chapters I endured, I neither knew nor cared which was which.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2015 1:01 PM BST

Jamie's Comfort Food
Jamie's Comfort Food
by Jamie Oliver

4.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed, 10 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Jamie's Comfort Food (Hardcover)
Having watched the series on TV I couldn't wait to buy the book. Although it is very well presented with lots of lovely photos and good instructions I was a little disappointed for 2 reasons. Firstly the recipes make huge quantities - usually a minimum of 8 servings. As there are only 2 of us, it doesn't always work when you cut down a recipe. Secondly, a lot of the fancier ingredients are not available where I live, so I either have to substitute things or miss them out. Again, this doesn't always work.

The Accidental Naturalist
The Accidental Naturalist

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read from Ben, 22 July 2014
Having read The Teatime Islands and The Acccidental Adventurer, this was another great read in the same vein. It gives a fascinating insight into Ben's many travels around the world and adventures with animals. I also enjoyed reading about his early life and his dad's devotion to animals and how this has rubbed off on Ben.

It is written in his usual style - jumping around chronologically and mentioning events but not talking about them in detail until later in the book (which some readers may find irritating) - but as a long-time fan of Ben's work, I'm used to this by now.

A great holiday kindle read.

Samsung E1200 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Discontinued by manufacturer
Samsung E1200 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Discontinued by manufacturer

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent basic phone, 22 Jun. 2014
I only need a basic phone for texting and occasional calls, so no need for a fancy iPhone. This does exactly what I need - cheap and cheerful phone.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3