Profile for Pete > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker
Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker

5.0 out of 5 stars Real coffee in seconds!, 16 Feb. 2012
Since buying the Aeropress I've ditched the instant. This is so quick and so simple to use that for the sake of 30-60 seconds why wouldn't you make a mug of fresh real coffee?

I'm no connoisseur but this makes a very nice, clear coffee without the body that you get when using a french press. Other reviewers have pointed out the lack of crema but for me this is not important.

Be aware that it's only really good for one mug/two small cups at a time.

In summary, I use it every morning which makes it a bargain at the price, it makes great coffee quickly and takes seconds to clean. Highly recommended.

Ruark Audio R2i DAB/FM Stereo with iPod Dock: Walnut
Ruark Audio R2i DAB/FM Stereo with iPod Dock: Walnut

5.0 out of 5 stars Top marks in every category, 9 April 2011
I knew that this looked great but I was blown away by how good it sounds. To think that I very nearly opted for something cheaper - so glad I didn't. The DAB radio is superb but the quality of a good (320kbps) tune via my ipod nano is even more impressive. I honestly can't think of a better purchase that I've ever made.

If anything causes me to change my mind I'll update this review but right now I'm extremely chuffed.

T&G Tuscany Vertical Paper Towel Holder in Acacia Wood.
T&G Tuscany Vertical Paper Towel Holder in Acacia Wood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product., 19 Mar. 2011
Not much to say really. We can take for granted that it holds kitchen roll - all I can add is that it looks good doing it!

All for less than the price of a CD too. Recommended.

Philips HR1861 Whole Fruit Juicer - Aluminium
Philips HR1861 Whole Fruit Juicer - Aluminium

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb machine!, 19 Mar. 2011
I ummed and ahhhed for quite some time before getting this juicer yet from the moment it arrived its become the most used appliance in the house.

I always wondered how people were supposed to eat at least 5 portions of fruit and veg a day. I tried to, but very long working days made it difficult to consistently achieve. Since owning this juicer I have (the juice of) 5 to 10 portions guaranteed and also have more variety that normal by introducing beetroot, avocado and spinach - things I'd not normally consume. After a month of juicing I feel great - my skin has improved and people have commented that I look great. If you haven't already - start juicing.

Anyway, this review should be about the machine. I must have used it 50 times without a hiccup. In fact, looking at the simplicity of its design it'd hard to see what could go wrong so long as the motor holds up. The pulp is usually dry to the touch, indicating good extraction levels and the parts are a breeze to clean. Good tip - always clean it before consuming the juice - it'll take two minutes to rinse the parts under the tap - much longer if the fruit juice dries on.

All in all this is a great product full stop but particularly for its price. It looks good enough to leave out on the counter making it more likely that you'll use it. Full marks all round!

A final point - you'll get more out of this machine if you also have a blender/processor - that way you can make great lassis and smoothies too.

Episodes - Series 1 [DVD]
Episodes - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt LeBlanc
Offered by A2Z Entertains

4.0 out of 5 stars Comedy-drama rather than sit-com, 22 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Episodes - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
It seems that this show really does polarise opinion.

The show highlights the cultural differences between the two sides of the Atlantic aswell as the fakery that is Hollywood. It was, however, hard to see how these recurring jokes could possibly sustain an entire series. They don't. Thankfully the first few epidoses, amusing as they are, really just build the characters and storyline to the point that the writers and actors have developed something to work with in the second half of the series and they don't let us down. Stephen Mangam and Tamsin Grieg, as the struggling Brits, are both very good indeed and Matt LeBlanc steals the show as a 'so unlikeable he's likeable' version of himself.

A cautionary note: These are not stand-alone half-hour shows with an ongoing thread of a storyline. This felt more like one story split into half hour segments and I not sure that you'd get much out of it if you just dipped in mid-way.

In summary, it's a good drama and it's a funny comedy. It's clever and it's silly. It'd not side-splittingly funny throughout but when I consider the whole series as one, it has been one of the more enjoyable shows that I've seen for a while. I hope it's a spring-board for a 5-star second series.

Innocent Smoothie Recipe Book: 57 and a Half Recipes From Our Kitchen to Yours
Innocent Smoothie Recipe Book: 57 and a Half Recipes From Our Kitchen to Yours
by Louise Haines

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny but requires equipment, 16 Feb. 2011
This is a good book, with interesting recipies, plenty of pictures and is actually an amusing read.

One drawback is that most of the recipies require an electric juicer for extracting the juice from carrots, apples, kiwis etc and a blender. I think most people have a blender/food processer but perhaps not a juicer. Maybe I was naive to think that a smoothie was just blended fruit.

I've still given it four stars, as its inspired me to purchase a juicer. If you're not prepared to splash out then this book will be little more than a fun read.

The Killing - Series 1 [DVD] [2010]
The Killing - Series 1 [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Sofie Gråbøl

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate drama. Addictive., 16 Feb. 2011
I'm not a huge watcher of TV drama but this is seriously addictive.

The last series I watched was the Swedish Wallander and this is right up there. It has (so far - six episodes in) a great storyline, that is delivered at an enjoyable pace by a great cast.

If you're going to commit such an amount of time to a drama series then you'll want it to be of the higest quality; you're on safe ground with this. Superb!

Garmin nuvi 12xx 13xx Carrying Case
Garmin nuvi 12xx 13xx Carrying Case

1.0 out of 5 stars Too small for 4.3 inch Nuvi, 11 Feb. 2011
The previous reviewer cautioned against it being too small - I should have listened to them.

This product will hold a 4.3 inch Garmin Nuvi 1390 but only just. It looks like it was designed for a 3.5 inch sat nav and just because it you can squeeze a 4.3 inch model into it does not mean that it is appropriate to market it as being suitable for 4.3 inch devices.

Look carefully at the picture (as I should have). You can see a kink in the underside which is where the leather is designed to fold from. If you put in a 4.3 inch sat nav like the one pictured then you can see that the flap will need to fold where it wasn't designed to and the only way that the whole thing will close is to stretch the elastic clasp about 4 inches.

Shame on you Garmin for saying that this is suitable for a Nuvi 13-series. It certainly is not. It looks ridiculous. It wasn't cheap. I'll be sending it back.

iPod Nano G5 Gen5 Soft Silicon Siliconne Rubber Case Sleeve Skin - BLACK
iPod Nano G5 Gen5 Soft Silicon Siliconne Rubber Case Sleeve Skin - BLACK

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended product., 12 Jan. 2011
It was only [...]!

I bought it because the 5G Nano can be a bit tricky to hold, given its thinness. The snug-fitting rubber sleeve fixes this and gives additional protection without compromising usability.

A minor gripe (I stress minor) is that the orange locking switch is tricky to access. As this sits flush to the ipod its bound to be recessed on any product that fits over the machine - so I don't fault the sleeve for this. It still warrants 5 out of 5.

Olympus Olympus-1 Binocular 10x50 DPS-1
Olympus Olympus-1 Binocular 10x50 DPS-1

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality optics at a reasonable price, 12 Jan. 2011
The optics are bright and clear which I expected from Olympus.

The body is surprisingly robust - OK its not heavy duty, or waterproof but I was looking at twice the price for these features. I plan to use them for Astronomy, so they'll mostly be used at home - toughness and waterproof casing is really not required.

In summary - good quality optics without the frills at a very reasonable price. Recommended.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2012 4:04 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3