Profile for V > Reviews

Content by V

V (London, United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
QuickBooks Pro 2012, 1 User + Payroll, 1 Year Subscription (PC)
QuickBooks Pro 2012, 1 User + Payroll, 1 Year Subscription (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Intuit Payroll Services - a great bolt-on, 3 Dec. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like using Intuit's Payroll, it allows us to do everything in-house. We don't have to outsource it and rely on another company to pay staff on time. We can run payroll as frequently as we want to. I find it reassuring that it's HMRC Payroll Standard accredited.

Everything is FAST and EASY. You generate and "eFile" payroll files directly to HMRC -- it works like a dream. (This includes doing P45 and P46 forms + P25 and P14 forms). You calculate net to gross pay in one click. You have access to always up-to-date tax tables.

I elect to send all payslips by email (there is also an option to print them out, but I like to save paper when possible).

The best thing about QuickBooks Payroll is the flat monthly charge, and of course 12 months are included with purchase. This is a pretty sweet deal. Even after the first year, when you will have to pay a monthly charge (if you want to use the service), it is cheaper than outsourcing.

Please also lookout for my review of QuickBooks Pro 2012, which I think deserves 4 stars (out of 5) in its own right. (It is this product, minus the Payroll Services bolt-on)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2011 10:31 AM GMT

Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 (1 PC, 1 Year subscriptions) (PC)
Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 (1 PC, 1 Year subscriptions) (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performance with 64-bit based systems with multi-core processor (Intel i7 X980) and Windows 7 ultimate, 22 Aug. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The installation was flawless and fast, even though there were large updates to download.

Kaspersky works much better than McAfee, for me. Low resource use. Full system scan runs very quietly on the background and I don't even notice it is doing anything, I had to open the window to see if it was still doing it or it had completed. It also ran in less than half the time of what McAfee used to take, and you do notice McAfee when it is running.

Tech21 T21-1186 Impact Mesh Case with D3O iPhone 4 - Black
Tech21 T21-1186 Impact Mesh Case with D3O iPhone 4 - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars ONLY the home button and silence switch are accessible - say goodbye to the others, 17 Aug. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
- This case adds bulk. Sleek, it is not!
- You can still see the Apple logo on the rear of the phone, through the perforated case, so it's not great for hiding from potential muggers. For that, I love the AmazonBasics Leather Case for iPhone 4 (Black), and would recommend it over this case
- If you drop this on concrete, the screen is still very much exposed. Sure, the rear glass panel is quite well protected, but it's much cheaper to replace that back panel.
- The volume buttons are extremely difficult to push. I had wondered if the other reviewers were whining, but this is really bad design.

I don't think this tech21 case is anything special. Just because this case is relatively dear, and it is made from 'D3O' don't assume it's a great case; it's mediocre at best. The case is ugly and doesn't appear to be very functional.

Philips Shaver Series 3000 with Lift and Cut Blades PT720/17
Philips Shaver Series 3000 with Lift and Cut Blades PT720/17
Offered by Five&Stars

2.0 out of 5 stars Agonising razor burn, 26 May 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was quite happy with this for the first few weeks. It doesn't have a sideburn trimmer, and it doesn't cut very closely (I get very coarse facial hair) but it does the job quickly.

Like all electric razors* this causes me razor burn, which I can only describe as hell. My neck, especially, becomes extremely tender.

* I have [in June 2013] acquired the Braun CoolTec CT2s Rechargeable Electric Shaver, which is amazing, if expensive.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Philips SHQ4017/10 Sports Headphone Sports Neckband Headset for iPhone/iPod
Philips SHQ4017/10 Sports Headphone Sports Neckband Headset for iPhone/iPod

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for outdoor running, even for hat wearers, 23 May 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've tried several brands of in-ear headphones -- from the £10 level (Sony MDR-W08L Headphones to the £80 plus. And none deliver the combination of:
- sound quality [1];
- comfort;
- the ability to stay in place;
- no itching/irritation.

These headphones are clearly engineered for running, and they serve that purpose extremely well.

I _love_ that you can wear these with a hat.

They don't block out all ambient noise, and I wouldn't want them to; there are a few jeeps in the (London) Royal Parks.

They stay in place so well because:
1. The anchor point of the cord to the neckband is behind the left ear. You can keep the cord out of the way, down your back or across your chest (underneath your clothing).
2. The ear buds are _soft_ and rubbery, and don't cause the mild pain/irritation. As your running stamina increases, you can keep these on for longer periods. (They're so comfortable that I sometimes forget to take them out when the music has finished playing)

I wonder how long it will take before I wear these out - I suppose it's inevitable. The neckband is durable, so I have high expectations. Only time will tell. I shall keep this review updated

[1] I'm no audiophile. To my ears, they sound fantastic. The sound is comparable to a pair of Bose in-ear headphones that I have.

The Royal Marsden Hospital Manual of Clinical Nursing Procedures - Student Edition
by Lisa Dougherty

5.0 out of 5 stars Hefty, but portable clinical 'bible', 7 May 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very comprehensive study-tool and reference 'bible', packed with colour photographs demonstrating procedures, for example the stages of handwashing.

I shall upload some photographs, to give you a flavour - please click on 'user images', above.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Fellowes Paper Stand - Black
Fellowes Paper Stand - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars i ultimately stopped using it, because it was annoying, 27 April 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At first, it seemed to work. But then it kept collapsing. After about 8 weeks I put it in a drawer and never used it again.

Operation: Endgame [DVD]
Operation: Endgame [DVD]
Dvd ~ Zach Galifianakis
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: THIS FILM IS AWFUL, TOTAL CRAP, 17 April 2011
This review is from: Operation: Endgame [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you are reading this, this note is a plea to save your time and money.
I selected this because of the promising cast, but man, what a disappointment.
The film is terrible - not funny and painful to watch.

This film is so crap that I suspect its release was a joke.

Norton 360 v5.0, 1 User, 3 PCs 1 Year Subscription (PC)
Norton 360 v5.0, 1 User, 3 PCs 1 Year Subscription (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, Light on System Resources & Reasonably Priced, 23 Mar. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having tried Norton Internet Security 2010, I did an upgrade to see if Norton 360 Version 5.0 All-In-One Security is massive improvement. Thankfully, it is.

Norton 360 5.0 provides the user with the quick and easy installation, the previous version is automatically removed.

I have installed Norton 360 5.0 on two desktop PCs and a laptop running Windows 7. I have not observed any system slowdowns - it appears to be light on RAM and CPU cycles.

I'm glad there are less annoying alerts and notification windows*. This was a much needed improvement.

I want to deduct half a star for value/price. This license covers 3 PCs. If you get Vipre Antivirus Premium - Unlimited Home Site License - 1 Year - Full Version you can cover all the PCs in your home; good to share the cost with housemates.

*Whilst Norton is very good, I do prefer Trend Titanium as that doesn't even nag you to say that it needs to update. (It just does it, in the background, automatically)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2011 12:38 PM BST

PowerDirector 9 Ultra 64 Edition (PC)
PowerDirector 9 Ultra 64 Edition (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 27 Feb. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is blazingly fast on my system; I have Windows7 64 bit, i9 CPU with 12 GB ram, which is quite a niche setup.

It's absolutely critical that you check your system meets the requirements. You can get their 20-day free trial, you should probably do this if you are in any doubt as to whether it will run.

I did attempt to watch some software tutorials on YouTube, but it was too tedious to sit through. So instead, I just found my way around through trial and error(!) (I hate reading manuals, though a paper manual in included in the box). I think the interface is simple enough that you don't need to read a manual, FWIW.

I'm very pleased that codecs like xvid and divx are supported.

This is a really decent package, for the price. You won't be using it to do anything too complex, but for consumers and "prosumers", it's perfect.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9