Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for V > Reviews

Content by V

V (London, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Avoiding Errors in General Practice (AVE - Avoiding Errors)
Avoiding Errors in General Practice (AVE - Avoiding Errors)
by Kevin Barraclough

4.0 out of 5 stars Defects in the system vs blame of individual doctors, 3 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Part three of this book is especially interesting. A doctor facing an investigation of any significance (e.g. GMC) will need loads of legal and moral support. So, even if you aren't affected, it might affect one of your colleagues.

I think you should pull the trigger and buy this book.

Philips SHQ4200/10 ActionFit Washable Ultra Light Sports Headphones, Neckband - Red/Black
Offered by DREAM FIELD

2.0 out of 5 stars I liked these at first, but it's like jogging with a stethoscope, 28 Mar. 2013
Length:: 1:02 Mins

[My original review title: Well suited for people who like to jog outdoors, whilst wearing a hat]

**MY ORIGINAL REVIEW**

I gave this 5-stars and high praise but I edited on 27/6. I wrongly thought it was very similar to an older model that it replaced (🔗 http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R39MWGTGZAWHPF)
I retract my previous praise! These are crap!

** NOT ENOUGH BASS **

Update written on 27/6:

- Whilst these are okay, they lack a certain punch that you get from Philips SHQ5200/10 ActionFit Washable Ultra Lightweight Sports Headband. It's more expensive at around £60, but I find it better if you like to move to repetitive [electronic] beats.
- I have now stopped using these headphones for jogging.
- I have also adjusted my rating to 2-stars (down from 5-stars)
- Wearing these is like jogging with a stethoscope. Much of the time, all I can hear is rustling.

** IF YOU REALLY WANT THIS STYLE **
If you're a hat-wearer and really want this, consider getting 🔗 http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R39MWGTGZAWHPF but I very strongly advise getting these instead
Comment Comment | Permalink

Aves Sapphire Wireless Bluetooth Speaker with iPod Dock - Black
Aves Sapphire Wireless Bluetooth Speaker with iPod Dock - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Tried and tested with iPad Mini, Mac Mini & iPhone 4, 25 Feb. 2013
Intro
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
📦 As soon as you open the box, you can see it's well designed product; it looks cool. The sound produced is very good, to my ears, especially for something that small.
📻 Music playback is good to very good, maybe a 7 or 8 [out of 10]
🔊 Audio playback for films and podcasts is very good - a solid 10 IMHO!

✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
Pros
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
📡 Perfect audio transmission over Bluetooth - and it seems to always work flawlessly.
✅ Design. Build quality. Good fit and finish: see my photos in the top left
✅ The volume does go very loud, WITHOUT DISTORTION - impressive stuff

Obvious
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
Now, the iPhone dock already has built in obsolescence. It's the old connector, not the new (Lightning) connector. I can charge my iPhone 4 with it, but not my iPad Mini.

With My iPad Mini
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
The first thing I tried was using Bluetooth to "pair" my iPad Mini. It just took a couple of taps, it was an absolute doddle, taking about 30 seconds. I opened Downcast to play a video podcast and the sound magically came out the speaker [at the other end of the room] with no lag. It was as if it was connected by a cable; very pleasing.

With OS X (Mac Mini)
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
I then turned my attention to my Mac Mini, which has paltry built in speakers. I turned off Bluetooth on my iPad (to 'break' the connection) and then had OS X 'discover' the device.
It was a little strange that it showed up as a "headset" but I clicked 'next' and the connection was made. I then proceeded to watch the Colbert Report and the sound came out the Mac Mini's speakers. So, I paused playback and then ⌥ clicked [holding down the option button on the keyboard whilst clicking or tapping] on the audio icon in the menu bar and selected 'Aves Sapphire Audio'.
When I resumed playback, audio came out the speakers with crystal clear clarity and no lag. It was really as if it was connected by a cable.

Surprises!
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

In the middle of the night, when charging your iPhone, always make sure that the LED strip is RED. Otherwise, the Aves Sapphire will automatically start playing audio; it could wake people up!
I'm glad this auto-play feature exists, though, as it makes day-to-day operation easier.

Multicolour LED
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
There's an understated, tasteful LED light on the underside, in the centre. The colours vary:

🔴 RED - on standby (no sound from speakers, but still charges device in cradle, if present)
💚 GREEN - playing back music from docked device
🔵 BLUE - playing back music via Bluetooth connection

✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
If you don't care about Bluetooth
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
For the same sort of price range, I would consider getting 🔗 Harman Kardon Soundsticks III, which I think tops this. (I've just been stunned by their excellent quality)

Remote
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
Handy thin remote control - a bit like a credit card with bumps sticking out of it. It's infra-red, so you need line of sight, which is annoying because I have this on a high shelf and sometimes I can't get it to respond from my bed.

Boring asides
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

⛔ One mildly annoying quirk, is that I can't stream audio from my Mac WHILST charging my iPhone. Because I soon as I plonk my iPhone4 on the dock, it breaks the connection with my computer. [Furthermore, it's really fiddly and annoying to reconnect - see next point]
⌛If I switch source devices a lot, sometimes there's a lag, or I get no audio for a few seconds. It's kind of annoying, but I guess it only happens about 30% of the time.

Macleod's Clinical Diagnosis, 1e
Macleod's Clinical Diagnosis, 1e
by Alan G Japp MBChB(Hons) BSc(Hons) MRCP PhD

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful layout, 28 Jan. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very tasteful use of colours to make the book easier to navigate; bright yellow for (some) headings, colour flowcharts and anatomical diagrams. Also, there are lots of ECG graphs and photographs of, for example, skin conditions like acute dermatitis in chapter 26.

I really like how the chapter numbers are integrated into the header of each page; it makes flicking through the book at speed a breeze.

As you'd expect, it's properly indexed.

Belkin PU Leather Pocket Case for iPhone 5 and 5s - Black
Belkin PU Leather Pocket Case for iPhone 5 and 5s - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Tight sleeve/envelope, 24 Jan. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The case by itself looks elegant and classy - not what you'd expect from a mass market product. The leather and the inner lining have a pleasing texture. It adds almost no bulk to the phone.

However, in use its rather annoying as you [obviously] can't even use it as a clock/watch, to see the time. I found it wearying taking the phone in and out of the case all day - I do use the camera a lot though, and I watch the lock-screen for missed calls & messages.

(You should consider if you even need a case, to be honest. Watch the drop test videos, the phone is pretty resilient. Do you really want to try and shield it from little scuffs? Go on, live a little!)

Roccat Kone Pure Core Performance Gaming Mouse
Roccat Kone Pure Core Performance Gaming Mouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal gaming mouse for people that grip with their fingertips (i.e. not a palm or claw grip), 14 Jan. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you have large hands, and prefer to claw-grip your mouse, you may find that this is too small. For me - a person with small-to-medium sized hands - it is perfect.

For me, when accuracy is paramount, as when gaming, I do tend to use fingertip control. I love that this mouse is small and very light. It has extremely smooth tracking, handles persperation, and it has just the right mass to have both good speed control, as well as precise position control.

Really good ergonomics for long gaming sessions. It's actually also excellent as just a general mouse! I feel really comfortable using it in Final Cut Pro.

Belkin PU Leather Folio With Snap Closure for iPhone 5 and 5s - Black
Belkin PU Leather Folio With Snap Closure for iPhone 5 and 5s - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Elegant, 20 Dec. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly, I question if you even need a case for your iPhone 5. Having seen lots of drop tests, the phone is remarkably durable and robust; I've seen it survive multiple drops on concrete. (The black & slate model is more susceptible to scratching; you get scuffing but the phone still works) (the white and silver model seems to be better at looking good despite heavy rough and tumble)

Engineers have worked so hard to make it thin and light, you are probably better off using it 'naked' whenever you can.

However, for public use, it's wise not to hold a beacon that says "mug me!". So, this case helps keep things discreet. It's a pretty damn lightweight and thin, while remaining strong. It feels expensive; understated. It would look right at home in the British Airways first class lounge, for example.

It covers up the camera, this is pretty annoying. It's a trade off between style and function. (It takes a little extra effort every time you need to snap a pic)

The case is very reasonably priced, pretty good value. So if you must buy one, this should definitely be on your short list.

AnySharp Plus Knife & Scissor Sharpener, Black
AnySharp Plus Knife & Scissor Sharpener, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Safe, fast & effective, 13 Dec. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
AnySharp really lives up to its claims. It is safe. It is fast. It takes a couple of strokes to restore dull knives. I have been able to eek out life from knives that I was ready to throw away. I have restored old scissors to service with this sharpener. It reaches and sharpens the entire blade better than wheeled devices.

Seagate STBC3000200 3TB GoFlex Desk for Mac FireWire800/USB 2.0 3.5 inch External Hard Drive

4.0 out of 5 stars Works very smoothly with Mountain Lion over FireWire 800, 24 Nov. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This external hard drive is, perhaps, a little bit heavy, but has very good build quality and aesthetics. It's a solid device that operates silently. I love that it is possible (through software) to turn off the distracting LED light. [For some reason Seagate call the power light the 'activity light'']

The FireWire 800 connectivity is excellent - it can be daisy chained. It's a little disappointing that it is USB2 (rather than USB3), but only a little, as I much prefer FireWire anyway.

✨ Kudos to Seagate for having the foresight of having an interchangible module, to allow more connectivity options; very smart.
💷 It's disappointing, though, that the Thunderbolt module is rather pricey. (Rant: Thunderbolt seems to be expensive, everywhere, on all devices, by all manufacturers! I have been watching, with interest, waiting for the prices to come down, for some time)

🔌 Don't forget that this needs to be connected to a plug point.

The capacity indicator lights are useful to have, but not very granular:

⚫⚪⚪⚪ 1 light: 0 - 25% full
⚫⚫⚪⚪ 2 lights: 26 -5 0% full
⚫⚫⚫⚪ 3 lights: 51 - 75% full
⚫⚫⚫⚫ 4 lights: 76 - 100% full
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2012 8:42 AM GMT

Belkin Damage Control Overlay for iPhone 4/4S (Pack of 1)
Belkin Damage Control Overlay for iPhone 4/4S (Pack of 1)
Offered by SEDIVA UK

5.0 out of 5 stars It is truly excellent, but it's RIDICULOUSLY expensive given you'll need to replace it every month, 15 Nov. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
👍 This iPhone 4 is unlike all overlays I have used so far. I've just applied it and it's really hard to see that it's even there. (This is a good thing - a great thing)

Application is a little annoying, it didn't seem as bad this time. (Perhaps I'm just used to putting these on).

In summary, I HATE to admit it, but I love this overlay. It's the best I've ever seen; it's almost invisible. This is my honest opinion as a reviewer. I think it's too dear to buy - £15 seems extortionate.

Update: after 4 days of use
==============

Hand on heart, I can categorically say that this is the best screen overlay that I have ever used.

(I even retract my comment about it being too dear. In the interests of full disclosure I was given this for free. Having experienced how good it is I would strongly consider buying it, even at the current asking price. It depends on how long it lasts)

I think that the marketing hype about it being "scratch healing" is marketing BS. That said, this is an excellent screen protector.

Update after four months
================
I've been using my phone without any sort of overlay or case for a couple of months now, and it's just fine. To be perfectly honest, I don't think I need a case as I'm quite careful. (Also, my iPhone 4 is over two years old now, so maybe I don't care as much)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9