Profile for Anthony Horwood > Reviews

Content by Anthony Horwood

Anthony Horwood "Bruce" (Paris)

Page: 1 | 2
The Two of Swords: Part 10
The Two of Swords: Part 10

5.0 out of 5 stars I only have one problem with this series, I ..., 1 Dec. 2015
I only have one problem with this series, I want it all now. It's classic K.J. Parker with the twists and turns and evil bastards killing each other to the sounds of cynical rulers getting richer. I lov it.

The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch
by Donna Tartt

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great novel, 22 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Hardcover)
Donna Tartt. Not much more needs to be said. If you loved The Little Friend, as I did, you will love The Goldfinch.

Circulon Infinite Hard Anodised 26 cm Chef's Pan with Steel Lid - Black
Circulon Infinite Hard Anodised 26 cm Chef's Pan with Steel Lid - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars The best non-stick pan I have ever owned, 22 Sept. 2015
The best non-stick pan I have ever owned. Even my wife's legendary anti-non-stick skills with a knife haven't ruined it. It is solid, beautifully made with incredible non-stick and looks worth every penny.

The Barbershop Seven: A Barney Thomson omnibus
The Barbershop Seven: A Barney Thomson omnibus

5.0 out of 5 stars Legendary barbarous barber, 22 Sept. 2015
I have just finished the collection, and am now starting on the novellas. I originally read the first two novels back in 1999, then my life changed and I didn't come back to Douglas Lindsay until about a month ago, when I read the DS Thomas Hutton books, both of which I also recommend. I have spent the last few weeks elbows-deep in Barney and the other Lindsay creations.

I love these books.

Barney Thomson is a great literary invention. His personality changes after the third book, for a good reason, and I think that was a smart call. The dour, stupid, hapless Barney was great, but the world-weary, seen it all before, Barney is a better vehicle for Lindsay's bone-dry black humour and silly sarcasm. It struck me how alike Lindsay and the late Terry Pratchett were. Lindsay has the same ability to take the normal and twist it slightly to better reflect the absurdity of much that we have become used to.

The stories are black comedy/thrillers with some parts geneuinely disturbing and some tea-spittingly funny. I took the night train to Paris last night and I read until 2:30 despite knowing that I had to be at work at 8:30. I couldn't stop. These books are that sort of page-turners.

On a side note, I saw a news article recently saying that some prankster had been re-labelling wine with comments such as "A light, fruity wine with excellent length, firm thighs and a hairy ar$e, with overtones of strawberries, mince and despair", clearly inspired by Douglas Lindsay. He is becoming a legend.

Lamentation (The Shardlake Series)
Lamentation (The Shardlake Series)
by C. J. Sansom

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, as usual, 18 Dec. 2014
I am still reading it. It is probably one of C.J. Sansom's best.

Showtime, Storytime (Bonus Blu-ray)
Showtime, Storytime (Bonus Blu-ray)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant reincarnation, 18 Dec. 2014
I had gone off Nightwish even before they fired Tarja, and basically listened to three or four tracks of theirs. Then, one day, idly surfing Youtube I played this version of Ever Dream, and had to listen to the whole concert. Then I bought the DVD and then the Blu Ray for my Bro-in-law.

Floor has lifted Nightwish to hitherto undreamed of heights. I love the passion she can put into a single word, I love her stage presence and I love that she seems delighted to be there. I love that the guys look delighted to have her there. She has a tremendous range and impressive control and yet she can still, at the top of a crescendo, put that little extra thrill into her voice. She brought something new to the Annette material, and generally did well on the Tarja era stuff. It's unusual for a change of lead at this stage of a bands career to inject new life, but Floor did it.

I won't go back to the old stuff, but I have these CDs in my car and am looking forward with great anticipation to the new studio album next year.

Alessi ASG04 AZ toilet brush - toilet brushes (Floor standing, Multi)
Alessi ASG04 AZ toilet brush - toilet brushes (Floor standing, Multi)

4.0 out of 5 stars Much nicer then you would expect, 26 Sept. 2013
Viewing the thing as a picture on-line, it's hard to see what the quality is like. In fact it's very solid, and wonderfully tactile.

It's also a pleasantly quirky thing to have standing around in one's lavatory. If an item gets dipped in poo on a regular basis you normally try to draw attention from it, rather than to it, but this is kind of cute and not embarrassingly reminiscent of its purpose at all. My wife originally wanted just one for our Moroccan-themed loo, but having received it wants another two for some of the other loos, though she will vary the colours.

I would have given it 5 stars, but really; 5 stars for a loo brush?

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Complete Series Collection (Episodes 1-64) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Romi Park

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the greatest animated entertainment ever made, 20 Jun. 2012
I haven't bought this complete DVD collection yet, but I am going to. I already have it all separately, but want the whole thing, just because!

Summary: FMAB is the story of two brothers; Alphonse and Edward Elric. The boys lose their mother to illness, and they try to use alchemy to bring her back. This goes horribly wrong because they neglected the basic rule of alchemy, the principal of equal exchange. To gain something from alchemy you must give something of equal value. The brothers' disastrous experiment costs Edward his left leg and Alphonse his entire body. Ed manages to affix Al's soul to a suit of armour, at the cost of his right arm and the two maimed boys are left alone to study alchemy in the hope of restoring themselves to normality.

A little while later a colonel in the military, another alchemist named Roy Mustang, invites the brothers to become State Alchemists, an offer only Edward accepts, giving them access to the enormous resources of the military that brothers hope will help them to recover their lost body parts. The brothers set off in search of the Philosopher's Stone as a means to restore their bodies. Throughout their journey, they meet allies and enemies and discover the true nature of the Philosopher's Stone, and an awful secret plan that they must fight to prevent.

Review: FMAB contains that wonderful thing, a totally original, self-consistent universe different from ours, but familiar enough not to be off-putting. The characters are all distinct, fully-formed and convincing; you will love most, hate a few and not care much one way or the other about others. The story is brilliant. It begins in a relatively small way with the brothers travails, and expands into something magnificent I will not go into.

It's mood is finely judged. There's some light comedy, some tragedy, a lot of action and something to think about, and all the while the character development is gripping. The relationships between the characters are complex and changing, and the brothers grow up during the series, adding more levels. There are those wonderful moments when you see one of the enemy attacking the wrong person and you think "That was a mistake", because the relationships are clearly enough defined that you know retribution is on its way. A lovely example is Roy Mustang, the Flame Alchemist, explaining to a homunculus that has just attacked his 'dearest subordinate' how he uses one hand for macro effects like burning an entire room and the other for pinpoint attacks, like evaporating the fluid in the hapless homunculus' eyeballs. It is the minute attention to detail, all detail, that makes this special.

The graphics are excellent. I really like them for both technical quality and art. I have recently seen 'better', but that was because the goalposts moved, and techniques improved. FMAB still has 10/10 graphics.

I recommend watching in Japanese with subtitles. It's just better. The American voice actors did a good job, but it's just more characterful with Japanese voices. The voice acting is truly excellent; it's taken very seriously in Japan, and they do it very well.

As I said in the title, I think that this is probably the greatest animated entertainment ever made. If you only ever watch one anime make it this one. If you watch anime anyway and haven't seen FMAB, do so. It would be a complete waste of your life if you were hit by a meteorite before you saw it. When was the last time you saw a cartoon 25 hours long and couldn't stop watching, despite the fact that life would be somehow empty after it was over?

Do yourself a favour, buy this. It's not a lot of money for the epic adventure you are about to experience. It may well be the best money you ever spent.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 13, 2015 1:34 AM BST

Forging The Land...(2dvd+2cd digi book box)
Forging The Land...(2dvd+2cd digi book box)
Dvd ~ Amorphis

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Amorphis, 24 Nov. 2011
I am a huge Amorphis fan, and am going to see them in Paris in three days, but realistically I don't expect the Paris show to be as good as these recorded shows. The set lists are brilliant, and include many of my favourite tracks, which tend to the more on the newer melodic side than the old-style Amorphis death grunts.

To hear the live versions of favourites like Sampo, Towards And Against, The Smoke, Silent Waters, From The Heaven Of My Heart and House Of Sleep is one of those experiences that makes me bounce my way through the rest of the day. I love Amorphis live, but they do tend to go a little too far toward grunting for my tastes. This collection is a perfect compromise in my opinion.

Having said that, this version of My Kantele is excellent, it's a fantastic track anyway, but given a great lift by being live. I have now four versions of this track, and they are all 5-star stuff.

The DVDs are great value. The first disc is a show from Oulu, Finland and is the longer of the two set-lists included on the DVD; it's also my favourite of the two, I think. My mind changes when I watch either. The second show is from the Summer Breeze festival, and is cleaner, but shorter.

VITREX 103402 Diamond Blade Tile Cutting Saw
VITREX 103402 Diamond Blade Tile Cutting Saw

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little workhorse, 24 Jan. 2011
I bought this wet saw to help me with a project in my house. I was remaking my 70's style yellow bathroom into a shower room tiled entirely with natural Chinese slate. The floor slates are about 18mm thick and the wall slates range from 18 to 22mm. They came in sizes of 600 x 600 mm and 600 x 300mm, from China by sea.

I must have cut somewhere in the region of 25-30 metres and used 2500kg of stone. It was a phenomenal workload, and this little saw was magnificent. It is powerful and flexible and very easy to use.

The two minor negatives for me were:
1. Because I was cutting big tiles I often had to remove the cutting guide and then replace it
2. The slate dust quickly formed a little dam preventing water from reaching the blade and necessitating a 'finger wipe' cleaning every now and then.

Neither problem was significant.

Positively, I loved the ease of use, the fact that it could so easily make accurate 600m cuts along 22mm slate and the fact that the noise level was acceptable. I doubt that I will use it much from now on, as the tiling is complete, but I have cleaned it, replaced the blade and put it away ready, just in case.

For the price, this tool was one of the best I have ever bought.

Page: 1 | 2