Profile for Mr. P. HAIGH > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. HAIGH

Mr. P. HAIGH (London, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
TP-LINK M7300 4G LTE-Advanced Mobile Wi-Fi Router/Hotspot (Supports up to 11 Devices - 10 Wireless+1 Wired, Lightning 4G Speed, Long Lasting Battery, Easy to Use, Unlocked)
Offered by BESTBUYIT

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong signal, 10 hours of use, easy to get going and nice and fast. No down sides, really!, 7 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’m a regular user of person WiFi hotspots having used a particular Huawei model for the last three or so years with an EE 4G data SIM. This TP-Link unit appealed to me from the get-go for a number of reasons:

- It’s physically smaller but lasts a couple of hours longer (10 hours vs 8) when fully charged
- Only the charging port is exposed, the SIM slot and what looks like a MicroSD card slot are both inside
- The battery is removable and so you can, if need be, carry a spare

The hotspot comes with a charger and a USB cable (you can charge from any 5V source if it provides at least 1A).

Getting started is simply a matter of charging and then inserting your data SIM. The hotspot comes with a quick start guide and two different SIM adapters in case you have a nano or micro SIM. I like this approach as it really doesn’t matter what size SIM you start with - it will fit and there is no need to cut down bigger SIMS to fit smaller form factors (yes I’ve done that before).

You can get going immediately just by using the right network name and password (printed on the inside of the battery cover), or you can download a management application which gives you access to more features (such as media sharing) and helps you track data usage.

The upper limit on the number devices you can connect is 11, I peaked at four connected without a problem, and also found that the range of the network was reasonable, possibly slightly better than my old unit. Data transfer speeds were also good.

As always with hardware like this the list price is, ahem, a bit steep. However if you hunt around you’ll be able to find it at almost half price. Which, to be honest, is a bargain.

I was left slightly puzzled by what appears to be a MicroSd card slot next to the SIM slot and I’ve not really had the time or inclination to investigate, as this is a feature that I see on most of this kind of device and I never use it.

This Must Be the Place
This Must Be the Place
by Maggie O'Farrell

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting book well worth the read., 7 May 2016
This review is from: This Must Be the Place (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really enjoyed reading this book (my first by this author) even with all of the interwoven to-ing and fro-ing between the years and the main characters. It was at times a tad confusing making me having to double check what year the previous chapter was set in.

The characters were not perfect, each had their own flaws but once again this kept my interest peaked. However, the fact that the actual story and characters were so well written kept me intrigued; never really sure how the story would develop or even end for that matter!! An interesting book well worth the read.

Brabantia BBEL1109 Steam Iron, 2600 W - Purple/White
Brabantia BBEL1109 Steam Iron, 2600 W - Purple/White

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job but quality isn't quite there, 7 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Steam irons - they're not cheap if you want a decent one that's going to last. This Brabantia would be on the expensive side for what it is but the Amazon price puts it at a midrange price. Does that make it a bargain? Well no, it doesn't - because you can tell it has been built on the cheap.

Functionally it does what it says on the tin, with the normal range of heat settings and steam control. However the product has quite a cheap feel to it. The ceramic plate is of lesser quality than my old Tefal which cost about the same as this iron’s list price, the plastic feels brittle and the controls don’t feel all that solid. And it has the smallest water jug I've ever seen...

Yes this iron works well but overall I'm left with the impression that it isn't going to last long, simply because it looks and feels like it was built on the cheap. Don’t get me wrong - its not a bad iron at the price - but it isn’t a great one.

Under Armour HeatGear Trainer Crew Socks (3-Pack) - Black, Large
Under Armour HeatGear Trainer Crew Socks (3-Pack) - Black, Large
Offered by CGDiscountGolf

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality, great fit and wicking., 7 May 2016
Bought for a sailing trip these socks functioned perfectly. A typical 15 hour day included about 12 very hectic hours of sailing and not once did my feet feel too hot or sweaty. I wore them in conjunction with a second, heavier (outer) pair of Musto socks and between them I was really comfortable

Fjällräven No.6 travel bag small black 2016 travel bag
Fjällräven No.6 travel bag small black 2016 travel bag
Offered by faguru

4.0 out of 5 stars High quality, great design, long lasting. Worth the money., 7 May 2016
This is a really well thought out travel bag. There are two carry methods - rucksack straps concealed beneath press-stud secured flaps, and two central handles which can also be tucked away out of sight in side pockets when not in use. The main zip is rugged, the cloth is heavy and there are two zip-up side pockets inside. Finally there are carry handles on each end of the bag as well as straps allowing you to 'reel in' any loose tension. I'm using it as a sailing kit bag and it functions really well.

The manufacture of this bag does ooze quality but I seemed to get a duff unit as one press-stud came away within days of taking delivery - even though it takes no load (I'm currently waiting for Fjallraven to respond to a warranty request).

Despite this setback (for which I have deducted one star) I thoroughly recommend this bag.

Post-it Colour Notes, Joy, 76mm x 127mm (655-12FLJO) - 1 pack of 12 pads, 100 sheets per pad

5.0 out of 5 stars Sticky bits of paper in multiple shades - very useful!, 7 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Post-its. We’ve all used them and they are, lets face it, indispensable. Time was when you could get them in... yellow. And different sizes. In recent years the colour range has expanded and as my family is an extensive user of post-its we decided to take a look at this 12 pack entitled “joy” with various shades of pink, purple and orange.

On the one hand, a post-it is a post-it. They stick well and as always the paper is good quality. Having this range of colours available all at the same time allows a degree of creativity. So when my son was planning the get-out at the end of a show, he wrote different types of task on different colours and was able to visualise the tasks and sequence of events.

Post-its. You really can’t live without them, and supplying packs of several different shades is an excellent way to keep them relevant in an increasingly digital age.

fitBAG Beat Red custom tailored sleeve for Google Nexus 6 Motorola. Fine nappa leather pouch with integrated microfibre lining for display cleaning
Offered by fitBAG

5.0 out of 5 stars A close fitting case with an inner lining that keeps your screen clean, 1 April 2016
This is my fourth fitBAG and I can't recommend them highly enough. To start with they make a bag for each phone so you know that the bag you get is custom made for exactly the right dimensions. This means that your phone fits completely and snugly in the bag, giving maximum protection and preventing the phone from sliding out. Secondly the inner lining is specially designed to help clean your phone screen every time you get the phone out - for me this means that I don't purchase screen protectors and the screen is always crystal clear.

From memory I've had their cases for the Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4 and now a Nexus 6. All have been very well made and great value for money.

2016 Gill Men's i4 Jacket BLACK 1480
2016 Gill Men's i4 Jacket BLACK 1480
Offered by Wetsuitoutlet

5.0 out of 5 stars Very warm and light, this is a great quality at a good price, 1 April 2016
This jacket is extremely well made and the large size I ordered is a good fit although I could probably have got away with a medium - I'd say the sizes are slightly on the large size. Now it isn't waterproof, intended as it is as a mid-layer garment between your sub-layer and waterproofs, and it works really well in this role. I've not yet had the misfortune to get it really wet but I'm confident it will dry quickly.

I also use it as an outer layer on cold but dry days as it is very effective at keeping the warmth in and the cold out, and the bottom has elastic drawstrings allowing you to adjust its tightness. If you are looking to pack a fleece or two as part of your sailing kit then this is really lightweight and I can't recommend it highly enough.

TP-LINK TL-AC210 Apple MFI Certified Lightning to USB Cable 1.0 m/3.3 feet - White

5.0 out of 5 stars A good quality alternative to the Apple equivalent, 1 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good quality alternative to the Apple genuine article. The connectors at each end look and feel solid while the cable is on the stiff side compared to the Apple and Amazon Basics alternatives I've used. When compared to the standard Apple cable (£25 in retail packaging) it is well priced, but when compared to other USB to Lightning cables it isn't the cheapest. That said it is going to be at the better end of the quality spectrum and you pay for what you get. A good investment in my book.

AmazonBasics Packing Cubes - 2 Medium and 2 Large (4-Piece Set), Red
AmazonBasics Packing Cubes - 2 Medium and 2 Large (4-Piece Set), Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made but a little overpriced perhaps, 25 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These packing cubes are well made, with good quality zips. The mesh on the sides allows you to see what's in the cubes and they help organise and make the most of your storage space - something I definitely need!

I've used two for storage and the other two are helping to organise my sailing gear in a large kit bag. My only criticism is that for what they are they feel a bit pricey.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20