Profile for BB > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasilieras, Momoprecoce, Guitar Concerto
Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Brasilieras, Momoprecoce, Guitar Concerto

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent Villa-Lobos., 31 July 2017
Years ago I had a record of Anna Moffo singing two vocal sections from the 'Bachianas Brasilieras and loved them, so I am amazed that it has taken me so long to explore the rest of them. What brilliant music this is, given in very good performances.
Villa-Lobos is hard to categorise as a composer, as though they were written as an explicit hommage to Bach, they inhabit their own tuneful, jazzy sound world quite unlike any other. The Guitar concerto is also a delight and is also beautifully played.
Three discs of really interesting music which deserves to be better known.

Korngold: Der Schneemann; Märchenbilder; Schauspiel Ouvertüre; Violanta
Korngold: Der Schneemann; Märchenbilder; Schauspiel Ouvertüre; Violanta

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming early Korngold., 31 July 2017
What an extraordinary composer Korngold was. This disc contains early compositions and orchestral music from two of his operas. If you came to his serious music, as I did, from his film scores, you will hear echos of the future in these charming pieces. They are beautifully played by the BBC Philharmonia under Mattias Bamert and the recording is excellent.

A Little Night Music (Original London Cast)
A Little Night Music (Original London Cast)
Offered by marvelio-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious 'Little Night Music'., 31 July 2017
I went to see a preview of this production of a 'Little Night Music' and was bowled over ! Maybe other people will think there have been better casts or more fluid productions ( and I've worked on two myself) but this is as near to a perfect production of a great show, that I have ever witnessed.

A God in Ruins: Costa Novel Award Winner 2015
A God in Ruins: Costa Novel Award Winner 2015
by Kate Atkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read., 27 Jun. 2016
Kate Atkinson has produced one of the best books I have read in a very long time. Having devoured all her early books and having been caught up in her wonderfully drawn characters in 'Life after Life', I was really looking forward to this book. This is a very satisfying read, fleshing out Ursula's brother Teddy, a subsidiary character in 'Life' into a real believable hero of the novel. Teddy might not be everyone's idea of a hero and to me, he certainly doesn't think of himself as one, but you really end up caring about him, and the twist at the end left me breathless. I think Kate Atkinson is one of the greatest writers of our times.

Man at the Helm
Man at the Helm
by Nina Stibbe

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite 'Love Nina'., 27 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Man at the Helm (Paperback)
I loved 'Love Nina' by Nina Stibbe and was looking forward to this book, as I felt the author had a very original and quirky voice. 'Man at the Helm' continues in this quirky style but there is something missing. The young fresh voice of 'Love Nina' has grown up, and is now trying to channel a young pre pubescent girl and it doesn't quite come off. The quirkiness is still there and there are lovely moments of humour but I fear she has now put me off trying her new novel, that came out recently.
Oh, and was it only me that lamented the TV version of 'Love Nina' changing, what was for me a highlight of the book, the mealtime visits of Alan Bennett into a Scottish poet called Malcolm?

T-Cut Colour Fast Scratch Remover 150gm - Blue
T-Cut Colour Fast Scratch Remover 150gm - Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so fast...., 22 May 2016
Having had a someone scrape along the side of my car while I was parked, I thought I would give T Cut a go, and bought the blue as it seemed the best match. Initially I was very impressed as the light scrape marks seemed to vanish, but on closer inspection the next day, they seemed just as bad. Maybe I should have reapplied it several times but there is minimal instruction on the tube.... Is this product just for car buffs perhaps?

Wirén: Symphonies Nos 2 & 3/Concert Overtures Nos 1 & 2
Wirén: Symphonies Nos 2 & 3/Concert Overtures Nos 1 & 2

4.0 out of 5 stars if like me you only knew Wiren's March from the Serenade ..., 8 Mar. 2016
This is a very interesting disc of completely unfamiliar music, if like me you only knew Wiren's March from the Serenade for Strings, that was used for the BBC program 'Monitor'. There is a real force of personality behind the lyricism which is less strident than Nielsen and less overtly gloomy than Sibelius. It came as no surprise to learn from the well written notes that accompany the CD, that Wiren composed film music later in his career. It is splendidly played by the Norrkoping Symphony Orchestra under Thomas Dausgaard with excellent quality sound recording. I do hope that the same team might give us further offering from this unfairly neglected composer.

Chef Aid Stainless Steel Doughnut Kettle Descaler
Chef Aid Stainless Steel Doughnut Kettle Descaler

4.0 out of 5 stars which became horribly furred up with lime scale, 8 Mar. 2016
If you live in a hard water area, as we do, this is an invaluable thing to have in your kettle. It has prolonged the life of our present kettle way beyond the last one, which became horribly furred up with lime scale.

2.4M Nuflex Hose Numatic Henry
2.4M Nuflex Hose Numatic Henry
Offered by SPARES-2-GO

5.0 out of 5 stars This replacement hose is very good value and has given our Henry a new lease ..., 8 Mar. 2016
This replacement hose is very good value and has given our Henry a new lease of life. Other hoovers have come and gone but our Henry soldiers on!

Tell Out, My Soul
Tell Out, My Soul

3.0 out of 5 stars I have great admiration for the hymns of Timothy Dudley Smith, 7 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Tell Out, My Soul (Audio CD)
Oh dear where to begin, I have great admiration for the hymns of Timothy Dudley Smith. They are memorable words married to great tunes and I have sung and enjoyed them often. But this is a disc of awful performances. Very sad and not wh.at I was hoping for

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6