Profile for BB > Reviews

A God in Ruins: Costa Novel Award Winner 2015
A God in Ruins: Costa Novel Award Winner 2015
by Kate Atkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read., 27 Jun. 2016
Kate Atkinson has produced one of the best books I have read in a very long time. Having devoured all her early books and having been caught up in her wonderfully drawn characters in 'Life after Life', I was really looking forward to this book. This is a very satisfying read, fleshing out Ursula's brother Teddy, a subsidiary character in 'Life' into a real believable hero of the novel. Teddy might not be everyone's idea of a hero and to me, he certainly doesn't think of himself as one, but you really end up caring about him, and the twist at the end left me breathless. I think Kate Atkinson is one of the greatest writers of our times.

Man at the Helm
Man at the Helm
by Nina Stibbe

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite 'Love Nina'., 27 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Man at the Helm (Paperback)
I loved 'Love Nina' by Nina Stibbe and was looking forward to this book, as I felt the author had a very original and quirky voice. 'Man at the Helm' continues in this quirky style but there is something missing. The young fresh voice of 'Love Nina' has grown up, and is now trying to channel a young pre pubescent girl and it doesn't quite come off. The quirkiness is still there and there are lovely moments of humour but I fear she has now put me off trying her new novel, that came out recently.
Oh, and was it only me that lamented the TV version of 'Love Nina' changing, what was for me a highlight of the book, the mealtime visits of Alan Bennett into a Scottish poet called Malcolm?

T-Cut Colour Fast Scratch Remover 150gm - Blue
T-Cut Colour Fast Scratch Remover 150gm - Blue
Offered by Compact Compatibles

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so fast...., 22 May 2016
Having had a someone scrape along the side of my car while I was parked, I thought I would give T Cut a go, and bought the blue as it seemed the best match. Initially I was very impressed as the light scrape marks seemed to vanish, but on closer inspection the next day, they seemed just as bad. Maybe I should have reapplied it several times but there is minimal instruction on the tube.... Is this product just for car buffs perhaps?

Wirén: Symphonies Nos 2 & 3/Concert Overtures Nos 1 & 2
Wirén: Symphonies Nos 2 & 3/Concert Overtures Nos 1 & 2

4.0 out of 5 stars if like me you only knew Wiren's March from the Serenade ..., 8 Mar. 2016
This is a very interesting disc of completely unfamiliar music, if like me you only knew Wiren's March from the Serenade for Strings, that was used for the BBC program 'Monitor'. There is a real force of personality behind the lyricism which is less strident than Nielsen and less overtly gloomy than Sibelius. It came as no surprise to learn from the well written notes that accompany the CD, that Wiren composed film music later in his career. It is splendidly played by the Norrkoping Symphony Orchestra under Thomas Dausgaard with excellent quality sound recording. I do hope that the same team might give us further offering from this unfairly neglected composer.

Chef Aid Stainless Steel Doughnut Kettle Descaler, Silver
Chef Aid Stainless Steel Doughnut Kettle Descaler, Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars which became horribly furred up with lime scale, 8 Mar. 2016
If you live in a hard water area, as we do, this is an invaluable thing to have in your kettle. It has prolonged the life of our present kettle way beyond the last one, which became horribly furred up with lime scale.

2.4M Nuflex Hose Numatic Henry
2.4M Nuflex Hose Numatic Henry
Offered by SPARES-2-GO

5.0 out of 5 stars This replacement hose is very good value and has given our Henry a new lease ..., 8 Mar. 2016
This replacement hose is very good value and has given our Henry a new lease of life. Other hoovers have come and gone but our Henry soldiers on!

Tell Out, My Soul
Tell Out, My Soul

3.0 out of 5 stars I have great admiration for the hymns of Timothy Dudley Smith, 7 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Tell Out, My Soul (Audio CD)
Oh dear where to begin, I have great admiration for the hymns of Timothy Dudley Smith. They are memorable words married to great tunes and I have sung and enjoyed them often. But this is a disc of awful performances. Very sad and not wh.at I was hoping for

Respighi: Transcriptions for Orchestra / Rossini: La Boutique Fantasque / Rachmaninoff: Cinq Études-Tableaux

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a lovely disc with great sound and production values and good liner notes as ..., 7 Dec. 2015
This is a lovely disc with great sound and production values and good liner notes as well which are always a bonus. I loved 'Boutique' as I think it is the first time I have ever heard it, Respighi's sound world is lush and perfectly charming. I am not so sure about the Rachmaninov which was my reason for buying the disc. I love the piano original, especially Ashkenazy's performance, but I have to admit that I don't think Respighi found the right voice for his transcriptions. that said it is still a great disc of unusual music.

Candide Overture / Symphony 2 / Fancy Free
Candide Overture / Symphony 2 / Fancy Free
Offered by STRADIVARIUS

4.0 out of 5 stars Bracing Bernstein, 21 Oct. 2015
This is an excellent recording of the symphony 'The Age of Anxiety' and the ballet 'Fancy Free', if I have one criticism, it is that the 'Candide' overture is a little bit slow compared to Bernstein's own recording. All the notes are there, just not quite at the dizzy speed that would make it fizz.

L'Amore Dei Tre Re
L'Amore Dei Tre Re

5.0 out of 5 stars from the '70's which I love, despite the obvious strain which the role of ..., 7 Sept. 2015
This review is from: L'Amore Dei Tre Re (Audio CD)
I have own an old recording of L'Amore Die Tre Re, with Anna Moffo, from the '70's which I love, despite the obvious strain which the role of Fiora placed on Miss Moffo's voice. This is an older Italian Radio performance and despite the sound not being great, the performances, especially Clara Petrelli as Fiora are wonderful. It is a unjustly neglected opera with amazing music, that anyone who loves Italian verismo and the music of Puccini and Mascagni will find right up their street.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6