Profile for tom > Reviews

Star Wars Art: Ralph Mcquarrie
Star Wars Art: Ralph Mcquarrie
by Ralph McQuarrie

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have For Any Star Wars Collector, 18 April 2017
An absolutely stunning book, and worth every penny. The picture quality is amazing and there is plenty of information about the images too. Like some other buyers, I did have some glue sticking pages together, but fortunately in my case it was just a gum like substance that could easily be picked off without damaging the pages.
My only concern is where on earth I'm going to keep it as it weighs over 9kg and I fear it's too heavy to go on a bookshelf with other books!!!!
As a collector of Star Wars books, this is no doubt the crowning jewel of my collection and a must-have for any Star Wars collector.

Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide
Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide
by David Hodgson

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice comprehensive book with good quality printing, 22 Jan. 2016
Nice comprehensive book with good quality printing, and the prints and map are a nice bonus. However, as other buyers have stated, the pages are very thin, and straight out of the packaging they are warped, as if they've been kept somewhere damp. One would expect better from a collectors edition.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 Steelbook [Blu-ray] [2015]
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 Steelbook [Blu-ray] [2015]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Lawrence
Offered by CV Stores

1.0 out of 5 stars Combo Breaker, 16 Mar. 2015
For some reason Lionsgate has decided to remove the title from the spine of the steelbook, which completely breaks the flow of previous entries in the Hunger Games steelbook series. They've been insistent on a rather uniform design for each of the covers (which I appreciate) but now for some reason they've decided to ruin a rather basic feature in removing the title from the spine. Hopefully Lionsgate will rectify this flaw, and I feel sorry for all those who received this amateur product.

iGadgitz Premium Wallet Flip Black PU Leather Case Cover for Sony Xperia M2 D2303 With Card Slots + Viewing Stand + Magnetic Closure + Screen Protector
Offered by iGadgitz

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised, 27 Nov. 2014
Material seems okay, but description said there was a hole big enough for the charger, but you have to remove the phone from the case to plug it in as there isn't enough room otherwise. Very frustrating and may cause damage to the case or the phone in the future.

Wired-up HDMI to HDMI Gold Plated Connectors 1.8m Cable v1.3A
Wired-up HDMI to HDMI Gold Plated Connectors 1.8m Cable v1.3A

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best connection., 6 Feb. 2014
I bought this to connect an HDMI splitter so I could easily switch between a PS3 and Xbox 360. From what I've seen the image seems as clear as it was when the console cable was connected directly into the TV, but every so often the connection goes for a split second and sometimes the screen will flash green or white, or black with white lines down it with an accompanying popping noise from the speakers. I picked it up for 99p with free P&P so I wouldn't complain too much, but it does go to show that even things as simple as leads sometimes shouldn't be skimped out on for the sake of a low price.

Star Wars Movie Heroes Episode 1 Battle Droid MH04
Star Wars Movie Heroes Episode 1 Battle Droid MH04
Offered by Mytoyfactory

1.0 out of 5 stars Not acceptable in today's toy market, 25 Feb. 2012
I picked this tan colored Battle Droid up because I wanted an Episode I style figure as I already had one of the maroon colored ones from episodes II and III.

When I got the figured out I found it only had swivel joints in the shoulders and hips unlike the Battle Droids in a previous two-pack release which had shoulders, elbows, hips, knees and two points of articulation in the neck.

I assumed that this was actually a repack of a figure from the original release of Episode I but I found that even those figures featured better articulation. This current line of Star Wars figures seems to be reusing a lot of old figure sculpts that are long past what is acceptable in today's toy market.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2012 1:08 PM BST

USB Data Sync / Transfer Cable for BLACKBERRY CURVE 8520 / 8900 / PEARL FLIP 8220 / PEARL 3G 9105 / STORM 9500 / STORM2 9520 / BOLD 9700 / TORCH 9800 *Supports Charging Function* - DC M400 COMPATIBLE - Hi-TEC ESSENTIALS
Offered by TECHGEAR Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well, 31 Jan. 2012
This cable works just fine. One word of warning to those that don't know is that while it will happily charge your phone via USB, you do need to download the media programs from Blackberry's website for it to recognize it as a mass storage device so you can put media on to it.

Kick Ass Collector's Edition
Kick Ass Collector's Edition
by Mark Millar

3.0 out of 5 stars Generally entertaining but be careful of the Collector's Edition..., 23 July 2011
I was a huge fan of the movie as it was a fantastic change of pace to the usual superhero movie. I knew a bit about the book and knew that there were some large differences between the movie and the book. The ending, which I won't go into detail about is far different in tone, but I think each ending works for their respective mediums. The book ending would have not worked on film and vice versa.

The story, written by Mark Millar is generally well told. I was a big fan of Millar's work from Marvel's Civil War which was a superb tale and one of the best I've read. While the overall story is fresh, I can't help but feel that Millar, knowing he had free reign on his own story with original characters, just decided to throw profanity in as much as possible. Sometimes it just feels too shoehorned in. It is, in my opinion, forgiven by its interesting premise though.

The art, by John Romita Jr. is fantastic and compliments the high octane plot with extremely violent scenes and more than a little splash of red here and there. There are some inconsistencies with the art however such as costume pieces changing colour and a criminal with a disappearing tattoo.

For the contents of this book - the story and the art - I would give this a 4 star.

The reason I've taken a star off though relates to this particular product; the Collector's Edition. I had to have two replacements sent to me because the quality of the book just wasn't up to scratch. The first book I received apparently had a problem with its printing plates because numerous pages had its images doubled meaning it was blurry and unreadable. The second book had a problem when the pages were being cut because a sizable number of pages had diagonal cuts across the corner of the pages. Fortunately the third book I received is fine and I thank Amazon for their swift service.

All in all, Kick-Ass is a great read though I prefer the film. Unless you really want a hard back copy like I did, I recommend the paperback which is half the price and one version offers extra pages about Hit Girl.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2012 8:41 AM BST

T-800 Pescadero Escape Figure - Terminator 2 - Neca
T-800 Pescadero Escape Figure - Terminator 2 - Neca

5.0 out of 5 stars "Come with me if you want to live", 27 Jun. 2011
This was the first Terminator figure I picked up because it has all the features of the iconic T-800: The leathers, the shades and the shotgun.

The sculpt is amazing and captures Arnold's likeness perfectly, especially impressive given the relatively small size. The paint looks great and successfully dodges the problem that some of the other Arnold figures have when it comes to getting the eyes right. This isn't a problem here as he's wearing shades with have a nice glossy finish. Thanks to that it looks the most like Arnold out of all the figures in the line.

He's only designed for one pose. You could have him holding the shotgun by the handle in his right hand, but the left hand doesn't look natural without the shotgun in it. Then again, NECA don't make figures like this to be played around with like your average toy and this is very much a collectable.

Final Battle - T-800 - Terminator 2 - Neca
Final Battle - T-800 - Terminator 2 - Neca

5.0 out of 5 stars "I need a vacation", 27 Jun. 2011
Yep! Who woulda known that the T-800 had enough time to watch Kindergarten Cop and quote it after finishing off the T-1000? He's certainly looking worse for wear here and the sculpt really brings it out.

This figure is about 90% the same as the Steel Mill Terminator. The differences being a heavily damaged head sculpt, showing off his famous silver skull, a left arm that has been ripped to shreds and a hand designed to hold a damaged grenade launcher unique to this figure. The sculpt on the grenade launcher looks great, with wood splintered off of it. This figure also includes a second head sculpt for those who have another figure going spare. It is another damaged head seen at some point after the minigun scene and before he falls from the T-1000's truck and into the Steel Mill. It's a nice addition but I don't have any figures to stick it on as I like to keep my figures specific to particular moments in the film. It's also a shame because it has a better paint job on his eyes than the one on the damaged head!

I picked this one up before the Steel Mill figure because I really wanted one that showed Arnie at his worst, but if you have the money (or the love for The Terminator that I have) then pick both of them up!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2012 12:40 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2